Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #221
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

I also have the Onan 4.0. I'll send you the tuneup parts numbers tonight.
I have the Onan 4.0 BFA-1R/16004 C

I got my tuneup parts from www.cumminsonanstore.

Your 4.0 will probably use the same tuneup kit.

I've also used Champion plugs RH18Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1314027255.png
Views:	121
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	150096  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #222
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Thank you for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post

I will take your advice....thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #223
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Slowly but surely

We test drove Ste P yesterday about 80 miles......she drives great.....have to get used to the hard braking.....takes a strong foot......but she sounds great and has good pick up....she tracks straight and she is, indeed, a truck......oh, yes, and the fuel needle goes down quickly......will have to get a night job to pay for the gas......but then we had been warned....

The shop where she has been worked on is a good one....they are very respectful of keeping her as original as possible....they installed the front license plate with plastic clips in the back of the grill so no drilling.......

Found out that the cook top works as does the furnace.....water heater not so much....it has a lot of rust...is an Atwood with the switch in the bathroom.....did not light....the refrigerator is a 3 way.....and we already determined the water tank connections and water pump leak. Thinking of taking her to a rally at Lake Cachuma next weekend and see how she is......

we got lots of second looks on our trip yesterday.....like what is that? a trailer driving itself? Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #224
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
You seem happy with your new baby...
What does Ed think now???
Wanna see pics of your trip and future trips, as well as some grins from behind the wheel!

My Suburban struggles to get 10mpg, and I would expect you to get close to that on the freeway, so 6 or 8mpg would be ok. My 1973 K10 Pickup with a big Campershell on does 7mpg tootling about, and it only has a 5.7 liter in it!

I guess what I am saying is in the end 8 to 10 mpg is ok. We crunched some numbers the other day for a trip we are planning to Yellowstone maybe in 2013.
Look what we found out.
Hotel's are a minimum of $100/night. Some places its $150..
Driving our Jeep or Range Rover 300 miles per day @15mpg @$4.00/gallon =$80
Driving the Airstream instead is $150 for 300 miles...
Plus its all about the freedom... what if we want to drive 500 miles or share the driving and do more one day top spend more time somewhere the next?
Freedom, is what is its about... no fixed Hotel bookings to worry about... sleep in a parking lot if need be... or stop at a campsite.
Plus we can take the dogs... and/or with other people sharing the gas... It soon starts making sense... but maybe I am biased!
Lets face it, if its all about the destination.... FLY!
For me, like life, its about the journey!

I think that the Motorhome thing is different to the Trailer. Maybe you notice people looking more because you are in it and driving it rather than people looking at what is 20' behind you.

Its long been said that you can roll into a Park in a $500k mega Motorhome and barely get noticed, yet the Airstream Motorhome is stared at and people come asking for a tour.
Maybe its that people feel its more approachable?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #225
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Silly question Paula...
Did they replace any of the brakes?
If so, it takes a few miles for the pads to bed in, and the braking will improve when they do. I always notice things improve after about 100 miles, but if you are taking it easy it might take a bit longer.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #226
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You are right about that.

"Its long been said that you can roll into a Park in a $500k mega Motorhome and barely get noticed, yet the Airstream Motorhome is stared at and people come asking for a tour.
Maybe its that people feel its more approachable? "

We get lots of attention with our Ambassador but she is highly polished and it makes sense......this one is a little different......but still that is why I couldn't pass her up.....she is cute as a button and surprisingly huge inside.....not huge huge but she is so open with no walls except for the rear bath.......she is full of potential.......I tried to find a BVan for my little weekend getaways when my husband is not available to rally with me.....but I am spoiled by aluminitus and just couldn't make the fiberglass switch (not that there is anything wrong with fiberglass). We were spotted on the 405 yesterday by a friend yesterday......now how can that happen?.....she was spotted by another friend in Texas when she was being brought to CA.....she is unique....and definitely spottable....is that a word?

Yes, my husband likes driving her....he says she is a truck and he has always liked driving trucks....his family used to have a pickle business and he liked driving the pickle barrels around in the trucks.....we had a discussion about the brakes.....and the cost to convert the rear to disc brakes.......doable......but $$$$.....my husband thinks there are worse addictions than aluminitus......p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #227

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: the amount of force required for the brakes: I haven't driven an Airstream motorhome and I'm not sure I've driven a truck based on the same chassis, but I have lots of hours in '70s and early '80s GM 1-ton trucks. The oldest one (a '69) was 4-drum no power brakes, and it required one to be somewhat assertive to get it to stop, especially if towing.

The power-brake trucks always seemed to be lighter pedal effort than I expected. Maybe that was because I always remembered "ol' yellow" (the '69) but I wonder if you're getting as much power boost as you should be. Maybe it's just the difference from big-pickup braking systems on the 1-tons to real-truck braking systems on the P30 and my expectations are unrealistic.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Honestly, I don't care for the amount of brake pedal travel in my moho. Feel that it's unnecessary for any brake pedal to move what feels like 5 inches before I'm getting any braking effort. I've got the receipt from where the local Chevy truck dealer did a total overhaul of the braking system in my Airstream, well over $3K worth of repairs. From new hoses, to new pads and shoes, new booster, but it still feels like I've got air in the system. Guess I'll just get used to it.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #229
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
I think it is as it should be.

I will stop whining....they promise me that she will stop....just not on a dime.....and what is my hurry anyway? It is the journey not the destination most of the time that is important......yes, she has new brakes.....she is not my Subaru.......my tilt wheel helps and I moved the seat up.....I did okay......it was just really really crowded on the 405 freeway in S CA on a Thursday afternoon.....crazy people darting in front of me.....trying to sneak around me......so I just took a deep breath or two and kept my speed down....tried really hard to stay in my lane and to be very careful.....I am assuming we are considered a truck as far as traffic rules are concerned, right? Stay to the right two lanes and speed at 55?

I am considering a solo trip to Lake Cachuma......San Marcos Pass.....not so worried about going up.....going down in 2nd gear, right? p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #230
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I am considering a solo trip to Lake Cachuma......San Marcos Pass.....not so worried about going up.....going down in 2nd gear, right? p[/QUOTE]

Post LOTS of pix of your first camping trip! 2nd gear sounds right, and judicious use of the brake pedal if necessary. Never forget my first time towing small pop-up camper through the Smoky Mountains of NC and TN, and WHEW! the burnt brake pad smell from those who were just driving, NOT towing anything! Good luck, we'll be looking for you out on the roads.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #231
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
We test drove Ste P yesterday about 80 miles......she drives great.....have to get used to the hard braking.....takes a strong foot Paula
The last thing the PO said as I left was, "Don't tailgate...the brakes don't like it."

I soon knew what he was talking about.

Bill
navyspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #232
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Tailgating is hard not to do in LA traffic

If you leave a foot or two someone will dart in front of you....but I am in no hurry with this truck/MH.....I am anxious to go out with her to see if it is what we want to do.....before we start working on the inside....wish my hubby would be available for this trip.....think I will leave the boxer with him.....he tried to be everyplace on our test drive...finally tied him to the stove handle......but he could still get up on the couch....which is not his bed.....argh.....he knew we were occupied up front driving so he could do as he pleased....argh!!!! Boxers are something else....they think they are lap dogs.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #233
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
.think I will leave the boxer with him.....he tried to be everyplace on our test drive...finally tied him to the stove handle......but he could still get up on the couch....which is not his bed.....argh.....he knew we were occupied up front driving so he could do as he pleased....argh!!!! Boxers are something else....they think they are lap dogs.....paula
Paula,
I use a soft sided crate for my three legged dog to keep him contained when we are traveling .It folds up and fits behind the couch when not in use. You don't need any extra distractions while driving.The other two are good and usually ride on the passenger seat.
Glad to hear you are driving around in your new Motorhome.
Jo
Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
We do allow our dogs on the sofa at home... but by invitation, and only when the blanket is put down first.
We have learned and watched ours follow us around the house... if I am sitting downstairs, then Cole, the Black Lab/Pit mix is right next to me. If I leave, he goes upstairs to be near Robyn.
In fact he is asleep with his head on my lap(snoring, twitching and chasing bunnies) as I am sitting typing this!
I suggest you bring his bed from home, or get one for the M/H.
Costco dogbeds rock!
Put it just behind the passengers seat, and find a place to secure his leash, so he cant go far, if he keeps wandering. I bet he will prefer being close to you, and having his own spot. Its not good for him to be running about or distracting you.
I have a "BED!" command with our two... and they scurry when/if I use it!

We are planning to run with the Dinnette in its down/bed position, with a blanket over it, and let them know that is their spot when we are in motion.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #235
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
We took his bed with us

He was just so excited to be able to run loose in the MH that he wanted to be on the Dog House.....aptly named.....he did not listen very well to our "go to place" commands which ususally work fine. Also, he has a rash and after the vet visit, he is wearing a cone......

He has blown through our soft sided crate.....it now functions as his cave and he goes in and out freely. We also have a folding wire crate that we used in the trailer and use now in the Yukon.....that is what we will have to take.....but for this first trip....he is staying home.....there is a lot of wildlife at Cachuma and no fenced dog runs so I am thinking his prey instincts will be so hard to deal with.

I don't think I will have time to fix the water leaks before the weekend so she will basically be a warm (I hope) dry tent.....with a cook top.....it is a rally so I won't be alone while there.....just driving back and forth and it is what I need to do anyway.....if I am not comfortable driving, well I hate to think of that.......p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #236
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Our Cairn terrier is fine and has taken charge of "Dog House" and most of the rest of the known world. The Weimaraner, also a lap dog, is confused about the moving house and disturbed that he can not look outside or put his head out the window and needs doggie downers.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Hagar is not allowed on any furniture except for "his" couch in the Hagarstream. As you can see he takes advantage of the situation.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trip July 2011 Grand Teton & Yelowstone 510.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	150418

Occasionally he checks to make sure all is well and we are not lost.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3087.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	150419

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #238
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Hagar looks great...always loved my Danes and they returned the favor.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #239
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Gates part numbers for Dadstoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post

Okay, here are the part numbers I got today....for the Radiator Hose (Gates) upper 21441 and lower 24442.....hope that helps......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #240
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Hagar looks like he likes it there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Hagar is not allowed on any furniture except for "his" couch in the Hagarstream. As you can see he takes advantage of the situation.
Attachment 150418

Occasionally he checks to make sure all is well and we are not lost.Attachment 150419

Cheers, Dan
What a great looking dog......backseat driver I see......thanks for the pics.....
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593