Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I told you to post the pics and not worry!
I know I am not the only one who has to rip stuff up and out to make some forward progress...
I was telling you how repair put me in reverse so far, I have not got back to the point I started at yet...

0/ Original start point... Replace the freshwater tank.
-1/ Discover soft floor under tank. Cant repair/replace until leaks sealed.
-2/ Discover leaks by watching stripped interior in the pouring rain.
-3/ Replace and reseal upper marker lamps.
-4/ Repair, modify and reseal rearview camera.
-5/ Repair refurbish and reseal tail lamp assembly.
-6/ Discover leaks in rear window, polish and reseal.
-7/ Discover leaks in areas close to many exterior skin joints.
-8/ Strip, polish, prep and reseal all skin joints on rear cap.
-9/ Check watertightness of bedroom, all good so far.
-10/ Discover aged plastic piping to and from original needing repair.
-11/ Buy flooring, New carpet, Pex Piping, joints and tools to repair.
-12/ Discover broken drawer, and cabinet over rear furnace....

I have done so much... but not got back to the floor and tank replacement yet!

So, I have discovered that owning a Vintage Classic Airstream Motorhome you have to go thru the negative 12 step program!

So, dont feel bad... know that its encouragement for the rest of us!
Drive the damn thing...if it falls off, put it back on...if it leaks, fix it, but the purpose(I suppose) of owning one of these jewels(whatever condition) is to get on the road, deal with stuff as it comes up, and enjoy the times between repairs...I know some of you folks are...uhm...preoccupied with appearance, but the adventure is in driving the beast down the road...altering for appearance can actually create more problems...my unit is not a toy, it's a way of life, and as such serves me well...yep, DUST on the counters, a small leak in the antenna, electrical misadventures...but I put about 10K miles on my unit this past year, and that was a subdued year...has anyone but Mike Leary done that...??? I wish I could get across the point that it's there to enjoy, while you can enjoy it...showcase or boondock??? Not a problem to my way of thinking. I do appreciate the constructive and instructive additions to the forums, but what color you want to paint it or what curtains to hang belong in a separate channel.m

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #296
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Well spoken Mike and I do agree with you.
In my own defence, and FYI, there are many things going on in my personal life that are not part of the general discussion. It is those things that are holding me back and keeping the motorhome from getting finished. There are a a few here that are closer contacts to me that know what is going on.
I applaud your lifestyle and getting out there, and one day we will be able to say that minus a few details and issues on our Motorhomes, we will be on the road, visiting and having a rearward view conversation about all this over a cold one!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #297
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
cold one sounds good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Well spoken Mike and I do agree with you.
In my own defence, and FYI, there are many things going on in my personal life that are not part of the general discussion. It is those things that are holding me back and keeping the motorhome from getting finished. There are a a few here that are closer contacts to me that know what is going on.
I applaud your lifestyle and getting out there, and one day we will be able to say that minus a few details and issues on our Motorhomes, we will be on the road, visiting and having a rearward view conversation about all this over a cold one!
I look forward to that, and wish you luck in your current situation...I will pm you...m
Old 09-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #298
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Smelly things need to go

We didn't really expect to do all the things we are doing but a dead mouse in the couch and the most disgusting carpeting on the planet started a ball rolling that hasn't stopped....if I want my husband to join me on the road, we had to eliminate the smelly things......

Am not doing anything for show........only to make it nice for us....luckily for us we have SteSpot so we have not been exactly home bound although we still work full time and last summer we were on the road for 3 months covering 11,340 miles and 22 states....it has been sort of nice to kick back and enjoy the summer in S Ca.....we are lucky to leave near the ocean in Venice and there is always something happening.....so I am being very patient about our sloooooooo progress.....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Drive the damn thing...if it falls off, put it back on...if it leaks, fix it, but the purpose(I suppose) of owning one of these jewels(whatever condition) is to get on the road, deal with stuff as it comes up, and enjoy the times between repairs...I know some of you folks are...uhm...preoccupied with appearance, but the adventure is in driving the beast down the road...altering for appearance can actually create more problems...my unit is not a toy, it's a way of life, and as such serves me well...yep, DUST on the counters, a small leak in the antenna, electrical misadventures...but I put about 10K miles on my unit this past year, and that was a subdued year...has anyone but Mike Leary done that...??? I wish I could get across the point that it's there to enjoy, while you can enjoy it...showcase or boondock??? Not a problem to my way of thinking. I do appreciate the constructive and instructive additions to the forums, but what color you want to paint it or what curtains to hang belong in a separate channel.m
I too have to agree with Mike on this. We did 16,300 miles on a 4 month trip last year and had a ball. I'm currenty working on a new hardwood floor. I started in the back and am working forward. I got as far as the galley and went on a trip with a local club. When we got back I got it finished up to the cockpit when we went on a VAC rally. Now the drivers seat is out while I'm working in that area, a real fun job. I'm still not sure how I'm going to do the doghouse but I'm mulling over in my mind.

We used to have a saying in boating "I only have two things left to finish my boat, the inside and the outside."

Cheers, Dan
Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #300
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
carpet, or sponge...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
We didn't really expect to do all the things we are doing but a dead mouse in the couch and the most disgusting carpeting on the planet started a ball rolling that hasn't stopped....if I want my husband to join me on the road, we had to eliminate the smelly things......

Am not doing anything for show........only to make it nice for us....luckily for us we have SteSpot so we have not been exactly home bound although we still work full time and last summer we were on the road for 3 months covering 11,340 miles and 22 states....it has been sort of nice to kick back and enjoy the summer in S Ca.....we are lucky to leave near the ocean in Venice and there is always something happening.....so I am being very patient about our sloooooooo progress.....p
I would be more than happy to exchange carpets with you...What the heck were they thinking about when they put in that carpet??? The short kitchen wood floor is great, but to remove and replace the carpet will require that flooring removal, also...from what I have read, the carpet removal is a real buggar, especially beneath the couch...we're thinking cork or bamboo...m
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #301
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Carpet....

Yes, what were they thinking putting carpet there?....I was lucky that I didn't have to remove it......the man who did tells me how horrible it was every time I see him......I appreciate him very very much.

We are putting in marmoleum......in the main part....not the dog house and cab....that will be carpet like a car. But the marmoleum causes issues that the carpet covered....like the floor brackets for the two little dining tables......I tried to get new ones because they were so discolored but the new ones from Vintage Trailer Supply are not near the quality of the old ones and have MADE IN CHINA stamped on the top of them......so we are cleaning up the ones we have.......and they will go on top of the marmoleum. It also created an issue around the battery cover just inside the steps.....but I want to just be able to sweep out all of that dirt we are going to track in when we finally get on the road......I am carpeting under the two couches.....that cuts down on the cost quite a bit.....it will help with noise and warmth, I think. I will use rugs so the dog won't fly around but those can be tossed in the washer......no more carpeting in the bathroom for sure.....we used cork in our trailer and I love it but this will be more fun looking.....it is Marmoleum Green Melody if you dare to look at it....it is not for the faint hearted. p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #302
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Paula, what was the dash air issue and what was done to fix it?

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #303
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Proportion Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Paula, what was the dash air issue and what was done to fix it?
The Proportion Valve was replaced and the evaporator was flushed.....the part was about $150.....don't ask what the labor was.....that sucker better blow cold.........

PS: Did you go to Burning Man? If so, is there playa dust everywhere? p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot

PS: Did you go to Burning Man? If so, is there playa dust everywhere? p
Yes! And, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Yes! And, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was it worth it? p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
OK, I have emphasized this enough...OPEN THE WINDOWS AND VENTS, DRIVE FAST ON THE HIGHWAY TO EVEN OUT THE DUST, WIPE WITH A RELATIVELY CLEAN CLOTH, and just get on down the road...dirt and dust happen...traveling takes YOUR effort...DO IT WHILE YOU CAN...period...it's an adventure if you try it, it's only a dream if you imagine, but don't act on it...drive it, enjoy what you can out of it, and put yerself in the top 95% of folks who know how they want to travel...lordy, must be the wine, but the attitude will be there until I ain't...m
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #307
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot

Was it worth it? p
Absolutely worth it! We had the best time. We will be back next year...if only to return the dust we borrowed and brought home with us!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2
OK, I have emphasized this enough...OPEN THE WINDOWS AND VENTS, DRIVE FAST ON THE HIGHWAY TO EVEN OUT THE DUST, WIPE WITH A RELATIVELY CLEAN CLOTH, and just get on down the road...dirt and dust happen...traveling takes YOUR effort...DO IT WHILE YOU CAN...period...it's an adventure if you try it, it's only a dream if you imagine, but don't act on it...drive it, enjoy what you can out of it, and put yerself in the top 95% of folks who know how they want to travel...lordy, must be the wine, but the attitude will be there until I ain't...m
I have to agree with ScapIrony-2...get those rigs out on the road and experience the adventure! There is nothing that anyone can say to prepare you for the dust. It is something you just have to experience for yourself. But, it is part of the adventure! There is a lot of talk pro and con about taking one's Airstream to Burning Man. I would agree its not for everyone, but what an adventure. I can only think about the Wally Byam caravans of the past and I could only imagine that he would approve! You can prepare and plan and fix that and this and you still never know wether you will make it or not. Every mile of the trip to Burning Man and back where one is driving for hundreds of miles with no cell phone coverage and nothing but desert, yes I worry if I'm going to get there and back. And, when something like the dead alternator crops up, you just figure out a solution and motor on! It was a great adventure that we will do again next year!