Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Need some help with wiper problem

I need a little help form my fellow MH owners (or anyone else). Yesterday while driving around in my 1984 310 Limited trying to buy propane my driver side windshield wiper broke. The arm stopped moving and the wind blew it all the way to the left until the wiper arm was laying against the side of the windshield with the tip of the blade pointing backwards. The weather was pretty bad (rain and snow) so I drove home and parked the Silver Slug (license AG SLUG).

Today (not much rain) I looked at what was going wrong and found that the shaft which penetrates the front of the body and connects to the wiper arm on the outside and the motor drive on the inside was broken. Specifically, the end of the shaft which connects to the drive appears to have twisted off. Obviously I need to replace it.

Here's my problem: what do I ask for when I talk to my friendly NAPA guy (or any other parts guy). I can not find any identifying marks on it.

So any suggestions about how to specify what I need and/or a source for the part would be much appreciated.
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
If it is the shaft that seperated at the weld of the arm that can be rewelded. This happened to me, I took it apart and welded it. I also found by using Rain-X I don't need to use my wipers. In snow it may be a different.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
You are absolutely right gunner. We just finished reassemble after having it welded. Seems to work well.

About the Rain-X, how is it when you are passed by a semi on a wet road?

You're right about snow, you need something mechanical to remove heavy snow fall.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You need to ask for a wiper transmission.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Actually it seems to be called a pivot shaft. I found it on a site which GlenCoombe had previously posted.

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=ms&p=wi

But since I was able to have mine welded, my probelm is solved.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Regarding the Rain-X. I have been through light rain and downpours. I had no problem seeing without the wipers. Quite honestly it was better than the wipers because you didn't have that big wiper going past or smearing in a light rain. Due to the shape of the windshield the rain just flows off and visibility is clear through any type of rain including being behind Semi's.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Update

I had previously written that I had the pivot welded and all was ok.

Well, after a heavy snow fall, and just as I was preparing to take the MH to a shop to have the step looked at, I found the wiper arm twisted at an odd angle.

So I asked the shop to look at that too. They found that the weld (a tiny spot weld) had broken. So they re-welded it (they say the shaft will break before their weld does).

I had written to Airstream Tech Support asking for a part number, here is what I got back:

THANK YOU FOR THE INQUIRY
THE PART NUMBER FOR THE PIVOT ARM & SHAFT
YOU CAN CONTACT AN AIRTREAM DEALER FROM OUR WEB SIT
AIRSTREAM.COM
THEY WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU PRICE AND ORDER THIS FOR YOU.
THANKS

I'm including this information here so that it becomes part of the knowledge base.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 12-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Guy99, I'd be interested to hear what they quote for an Airstream part... then I'd be running the other way to find it at Mill Supply if I could. The prices for P30 chassis stuff is so low there that they tend to be my second stop after NAPA.
I too swear by RainX and use the handy towelettes in the popup dispenser.
I do not drive in snow... don't have to, don't want to, just hate the stuff. In fact I came home last night because they where talking about sleet and or freezing rain up in Raliegh.
If it snows here in Sumter SC I've got two houses in Florida that I can always got work on.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Glenn,
I agree. I don't know if I will ever get a quote from Airstream since I think I am set, at least until the other side goes.

I think I identified the correct part at Mill Supply, if I am right, it is PN 49-121, web price of $38.89, retail $47.00.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Rain-X?

Hi All, Chuck here from the "other side"... (UK).

What is Rain-X? Sounds like the answer to my prayers. Here the 'screens get badly coated in grease from the trucks and their exhaust. The smears on the screen (Front windshield?) are a nightmare, particularly at night.

Does any one know if I can buy it, either in the UK or have it shipped over from the USA. That also goes for the polish and wash stuff... I believe its called Walberneise or similar.
Thanks
Chuck
Dorset UK
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote