Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Glad you two are okay and only the mirror was damaged. Wasn't it last year or 2 years ago the buzzard got you? That was worse damage wasn't it ?
Jo
Good memory! Yes, the buzzard damage kept me busy with MEK/ABS for quite a while. Sure learned a lot, thanks to some of our esteemed forum members.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #22
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you want satisfaction or restitution then at least file a police report for the record. If the trucking company does not respond, you can then file in small claims court. They probably won't show and then you have a judgement against them. I was run off the road into a curb and bent a rim. I did the same and it was the only way to get the trucking company's attention. And a check,

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Happy to hear that everyone is OK. Yesterday must have been the day for near misses. Had a minor on of my own yesterday when a gentleman forgot to stop at one of those pesky red traffic lights. But, I digress.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
It used to be that truckers were the safest people on the road - there have been way too many incidents like this one in the news lately. Good thing you saw what was happening - it could have been much worse! Glad you are all ok!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Be sure while you still know it to make a note of the date and as close as possible to the exact time, since the license plate you have is for the trailer. The driver could wiggle out if it comes down to legal action if you can't pin down the time and through the company which driver was responsible for that trailer at the time. The company would still be liable for damages, though.

It sounds from your comment about the company's reply like they're going to cooperate, but read every word they send you before you sign anything.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Glad you guys are ok!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Be sure while you still know it to make a note of the date and as close as possible to the exact time, since the license plate you have is for the trailer. The driver could wiggle out if it comes down to legal action if you can't pin down the time and through the company which driver was responsible for that trailer at the time. The company would still be liable for damages, though.

It sounds from your comment about the company's reply like they're going to cooperate, but read every word they send you before you sign anything.
So far, so good. Yes, we logged the exact time, date and place. I wish we had a pic of the driver throwing her hands up when I tried to get her to pull over, 'cause when that happens, you have no clue as to damage, especially to one of our dears.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Get the check first and then, if you want retribution, report it to the cops. If you report it first, they may refuse to write a check and decide if you want a fight, they do too. If they want you to sign something, don't sign anything that says you won't report it (that wouldn't be legal anyway; no one can prevent you from reporting a violation or a misdemeanor).

Reporting to your insurance company is more interesting. If it counts as a claim (insurance companies handle these things differently), that could raise your rates. If your deductible is high, it may not be covered anyway. You can be certain in any case it will not be enough for the insurer to go after the trucker's insurance.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ok Gene, I know you're the legal eagle, but if the other driver reports it to the police and you don't, then couldn't you be considered guilty of leaving the scene of an accident or hit and run? His word against yours.

To me, retribution is the check!

I doubt the trucking company is going waste time returning a representative to Mikes county to fight it.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would wait and see what the trucking company has to say. As far as the date and time of the incident, the properties of your pictures will have that data.

The truck driver was in the wrong and she knows it. She may not have been aware that she clipped you, hopefully the trucking company will let her know and give her the opportunity to make restitution.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Good news (sorta), the trucking company agreed to pay the costs, without claiming guilt, of course. Said the driver had tried to merge and I refused to pull into the outside lane.
Well, duh!, she had ignored two "exit only" signs and was commited to turn off, which why it was such a suprrise to me to see her trying to blow-by me on the medium! If I had not locked-up, we'd all be in a different space. Life goes on, adventure never ends.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
On-STAR on Camera!

Wouldn't it be neat (or humbling depending on your estimate of your skills vs actual experience) to have cameras all the way around constantly sending a data steam TO On-Star? Jeez, the Youtube videos I could get of people with lower sedans - texting, and GOKWE!

I'd like the same with the Airstream actually. Hearing about people stealing them makes me thirst to catch the wretches red-handed! And with a video feed, you'd know where it was taken too. Of course a built in alarm to alert On-Star call the police if the trailer was moved without an authorization code would have to be included!

Locally we've had several reports of scammers pulling in front of cars then slamming on brakes. They have 3 or 4 passengers all of whom claim neck injuries... I think it's possible that was tried on me recently - with another car in the left lane so I couldn't change lanes, then all of a sudden there's another car in my lane about 3 feet from my bumper! I don't know HOW I got stopped - I did slide - way too much! My tire tread was showing a bit of wear, but I've decided not to try and go even one more month on them.

Glad to hear you had such a small booboo.

Paula
Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mojo,

The other driver left the scene and is unlikely to report it. It sounds like there was no damage to the 18 wheeler, so she probably hoped no one would call the company or file a police report.

If the other driver decided to report it and blame you, that could be as problem if the truck were damaged and there are no cameras on the bridge which recorded the hit. Since there are cameras everywhere now, there may be record of this.

I wouldn't worry about it as the trucking company has already agreed to pay.

Sounds to me like there are a lot of possible violations—crossing a yellow line, leaving the scene, hit and run. The last two may be misdemeanors in Wash. Bridge cameras would be great evidence. If the truck driver thought Mike would move over, she must have figured "when they see this big truck coming, they'll have to move out of my way". There are some drivers who think if they turn on their signal, everyone else is supposed to get out their way—that is the same attitude.

Paula, the scam of making sure you rear end someone was popular in Miami years ago. Cutting off someone trumps rear ending. The perps hope you will pay them off instead of calling your insurer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
If the truck driver thought Mike would move over, she must have figured "when they see this big truck coming, they'll have to move out of my way". There are some drivers who think if they turn on their signal, everyone else is supposed to get out their way—that is the same attitude.
I had the truck in my (ex) mirror as we crossed the first "exit only" sign. After the second one, which means to me you're commited, I focused on my left side (which was jammed-packed) and up ahead. What a suprise to see her booking in no lane after the exit!

Some "exit only" signs come up real quick, and I've blundered into a few, but took the turn-off and figured out a way to turn around and get back on the interstate. In her case (and I heard she had a "co-driver") they never would have made the 25 mph turn at 60.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I'm happy to hear that the company has agreed to pay. Hopefully they will do so in a timely manner.

This thread reminds me of the first trainer that I went over the road with 20+ years ago. He said that he drives with the thought in his mind that everyone else on the road around him is going to do exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to. Not that it makes what happend any better, but it shouldn't come as a surprise with the way people drive anymore.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote