Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
My first MH 1984 345 and what am I going to do

Well picked up a 1984 Airstream 345 while driving home one night... I always wanted one.

To describe its condition now would be tired but promising.

It has an air leak in the left manifold, a dent in the upper back drivers side corner, the batteries are hooked up wrong, hydraulic levelers need looking at , has a queen bed set-up in rear and needs some sparkle put into the interior and for a 454 GM engine is gutless (215HP).

The first item to address was where to put the monster.... So I had contractors cut up the from of my barn and install 11'0 by 9'6 opening doors. We thought we ran into a problem when we measured 35' in and only had 10'6" clearance BUT as we drove it in for the first time it cleared the front by 3" and was in by only 6"... whew!!!!!

The first week I searched what could be done as an alternative interior set-up as intend to travel with my son to golf tournaments in STYLE, and found an ad for overhead cabinets in wood instead of the plastic ones in mine. Well drove the 11 hours to Kentucky and met with an extremely helpful BKahler.

Next have started by taking off all existing drawers doors cabinets inside, removed rear bed and working on side cabinet. Removing kitchen sink and propane top cooker and counter top. Removed the two swivel chairs from behind passenger seat and the cabinet and working on removing couch. Removed kitchen seating benches as both of us are 6'3" and those are just too tight.

Our plans... from the front... remove dash face and replace in SS change out all gauges with new, add GPS, switch toggles to lighted ones from Oracle lighting. Re leather seats, new carpet install, suede headliner, overhead storage and 15" drop down screen for 6 camera set up ( I will not be running into anything).

The middle... removed carpet and replacing floor to washroom in wood, I have a custom floor installer which is installing a 6" black lacquer border with LED light inside then 3"grey birdseye maple strips with 1/4" natural maple spacer through the centre. This should look so cool. Where the two seats were we are installing a 60" 3D TV SS trim in front of the windows and put my wineguard satelite dish on the roof ( I originally had it installed on my golf cart so I could watch TV while golfing). The overhead oak cabinets we purchased will be sanded and stained mid-grey, the outside of the doors painted lacquer black and changing the inside plate to SS. All lighting removed and switching to pin-halos from Oracle. Two main lights will be 12" by 48" LED lighting. We are still thinking on how we can change the old couch into some type of theatre seating and still keep the under heating available.
I've purchased a lift table for the kitchen that will allow us to raise the table from sitting to bar height, and the chairs will do the same. I have researched the appliances to install and have decided to go with a Wolf 15" double induction burner instead of propane, new sink with commercial spring faucet on a granite counter top. A Viking 4 in one oven (micro convection steam broiler) Fischer Paykel tall drawer dishwasher, U-line ice maker and Wine /beverage storage unit. We will leave the fridge as is.
I'm going to remove the shower and install an outdoor shower unit and put a washer/dryer combo unit instead with some extra storage with the room left.
The bathroom stays as is except granite counter and new sink faucet.

The back will need to be reworked for 2 single beds long enough for us with storage at end of bed. Back ledge granite and all the windows in the MH tinted heavy black.

We purchased the dual head polisher to try and bring to mirror finish outside or until our arms give out.

I will add in some starting pictures and where we are right now soon... We are shooting for a June 1 completion so we can travel to the US and have the engine replaced with a 500HP crate engine. We are also looking into converting a 30' AS travel trailler to tow our Custom golf carts.

Will keep anyone who wants up to date bi-weekly
rjetsrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Okay, I'm impressed, please keep us updated with photos. Wood floors are on our list, so I am especially interested in that.

You might want to ask your transmission how it feels about those 500 hp.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Richard, that is an impressive lists of upgrades! I'm especially interest in your dash upgrade and the outdoor shower setup.

Many members of the forum don't believe things happen without pictures to prove it so you will need to post picture . Besides, pictures convey things so much better than words!

A June completion date is a pretty aggressive schedule but should be doable.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
You might want to ask your transmission how it feels about those 500 hp.
Steve brings up a good point about the transmission. I'm not sure what your options are with the TH475 transmission that is installed in your coach but I would be a little concerned about it handling 500 hp.

Definitely something to think about.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Hello and Welcome!
Now THAT is a thread starter!

Looking forward to your pics!

The stock 454 from 1984 had 240hp and 355ftlbs of torque, but I am informed that that is ver conservative due to the way that GM was measuring them at the time... I read somewhere that they were quoting that at the output of the transmission..
I am told that the real numbers were more like 300hp and 400ftlbs.
I know my mildly built Jasper replacement 454 hauled our 345 up a steep gradient on the Continental Divide in 2nd gear with all 4 barrels howling like a banshee, and shocked me! I was more scared of stopping it on the downside...

500hp is easy from a 454 and a 502 makes that before breakfast, but at 5000 or 6000rpm, which is wasted in the MH.
We all know its pure low end Torque that gets 16500lb moving and provides passing grunt to get the job done.
I would skip the 500hp for this application as who ever revs the MH motor higher than 4000rpm. I suggest you talk to the crate motor builder and tell them what it is going in...
A stroker crank and a mild overbore should give 400hp at 4000rpm, and 400ftlbs at 2000rpm, and peaking to 600ftlbs of torque at 3000rpm or so. I have seen a motor dyno sheet built for towing that had pretty much that spec.
Add a good intake, fuel injection if your state smog rules allow it and some long tube headers and you will be in great shape...
If you REALLY want to get the job done... just drop in a 6BT Cummins and OD trans, in 12 or 24V spec and you would have power/torque/economy in perfect harmony.

A TH400 can handle that power no problem, if built correctly... and my info says one of the best upgrades is the TH475 sun gears you already have! The rest is good steels/frictions and the 34 element sprag... But if you are gonna build one... just put in a 4L80 and get the OD as well.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

oxford , New York
if you've got it, flaunt it

virtuallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Just be sure to show us your finished engine compartment in the engine compartment picture thread. I'm sure many members would love to see that! I'm sure it's gonna look cool.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
More Pics

Almost finished my tear out... have all the cabinets and furniture removed and areas cleaned up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Removed Shower.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	176672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Doors Removed.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	176673  

Name:	Hot Water Bench Seat Removed.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	176674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Water Storage.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	176675  

Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
more pics

More pics in the cleanout stage
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mid Furnace.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	176676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Furnace.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	176677  

Name:	Rear Air Pump.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	176678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Water Furnace.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	176679  

Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Pitt Meadows , British Columbia
How about a mobile raquet ball court?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240ClassicMH View Post
How about a mobile raquet ball court?
I LIKE it!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjetsrick View Post
Almost finished my tear out... have all the cabinets and furniture removed and areas cleaned up
Did your 345 have the North/South queen bed?

Brad
Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
Yes the queen bed with the small cabinet with the godly make-up light
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
Short up date

Well decide to tear the whole interior out and re config floorplan for my needs... Bought a couple items for the MH

Bought a King size full foam Mattress that possible I will cut down to 33" wide for single beds or design a divider

Ordered in a 200 Amp chrome alt.

Ordered a new RSS Spyder for a tow vehicle due to its weight and fun to drive

Talked with the race mechanic about what to do with the engine,,, he is going to pull the engine in a couple of weeks and access the engine ... paint new carb , get rid of all junk parts really not required, new rv cam, custom air intake, headers and sensors to report engine stress during operation.

Purchased new Converter PowerMax PM4B-100 but wiring different then other RV's... going to hook directly as battery charger only then to DC distribution box.
Attached Images