Old 09-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
3. It takes 20mins to refuel....partly because the pump keeps shutting off, and partly because I have to give guided tours of the inside everytime I stop!
On my 84 270 I found holding the gas nozzle horizontal to the ground with the hose toward the front is the best position for fill ups. Then start off slow and you can go full on most of the time.
Also, on the sword swallow-er dip stick, on mine they found or made a narrower than normal stick, still a pain, but easier to get back in.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Hey Dave, are you taking the northern route (I80) back to MI or possibly considering something different on this trip. We sure enjoyed US36 on our last two trips to CO. I realize youd have to head a little bit south to pick it up but its a really nice drive. The road is in real good condition and you get to see some beautiful parts of Kansas unlike taking I70.

Mike n Lynn

Richard and Nancy took it out to Colorado and enjoyed it. I've got connections along 80 if I have any problems.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1997 33' Land Yacht
South Bend , Indiana
When I first saw the title of this thread in the Airforums email, I thought: I am am an ancient piece of technology, so that is why my 97 Land yacht 33 is farily easy to maintain. I had forgotten about how long it took to find the converter, the on going battle with the chassis AC, the periodic use of four letter words to describe how the auto-park works or doesn't work, etc. Then I read the first post about the dip stick. Yep, this is ancient technology that can easily defeat even the very experienced owners like me. I hate that dip stick.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #32

1983 30' Airstream 300
Gillette , Wyoming
84 300

Well I spent the summer going thru all the wiring, plumbing, and everything from one end to the other. Spent a couple of months, but glad I did. Now to take it from Wyoming to Texas. It is time for a new home. Will let you know how this trip ends, but as of now I love my 300 Airstream, even though it ain't as old as me, it runs just as good, sometime better.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Welcome Airstream 84, I can't tell you how nice it is to hear of a younger DIY
Classic owner. Not that we're trying to infect the next generation with our condition.
But the prospect of another generation of caretakers is comforting.
We have to have someone to pass them on to after all.

Does sound like you made good progress over the summer.

Share pics when you can.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
Motorhome dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
We do need a place to vent, because sometimes I get really ticked off what I put myself through, owning a shiny breadbox with ancient technology.

1. I just hate that oil dipstick, its soo impossible to get back in....
2. I really enjoy driving it, but enjoy it even more when I pull back in the stable without breaking down
I agree about the dipstick......I have to use pliers to get mine back in at the last foot or so.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #35
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
3. I just hate what happens when I let others work on it
second leak, trans was overfilled by 3 quarts, pan covers bolts where from hand tight to 30 ft#...
Can you imagine that they replaced a trans and NEVER checked the fluid level???
Yes, jasper stands behind some of this, but they want me to bring it back to the same looser shop or pay for the labor myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transcoverleak.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	271178  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Peter, you are so right about the quality of work that can happen in shops.
It's realy good motivation to keep trying to do as much as possible myself.

I know that I'm still learning about wrenching on my coach. But I also know that I care about the work I do and tho I may be slow in getting things done. At least I endeavor to learn and to do a through job of the work I do take on.
Hard to say that at times about the work that comes out of shops, especially RV repair shops. Yet they are happy to charge $100 per hour and up for their time.

I had not known about your new trans, is there also a shiny new jasper engine in front of that leaky thing? What are the details? Sure is an exciting prospect, having a new more modern engine and trans in a classic.

Overfilled trans, hand tight pan bolts. Makes you want to revisit every fastener, electrical connection, fluid connection etc. that they have touched.

Have you gone back to the shop that did the work and discussed the mess you are finding in their work? I would be interested in their response. And think they should be identified here if they don't make it right.

Hope it all comes together well for you, bummer that this is the way it can go when buying new components and having them professionally installed. Really disappointing.
On a positive note Peter, I'm sure you will get it sorted out and look forward to hearing about the results.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #37
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post

I had not known about your new trans, is there also a shiny new jasper engine in front of that leaky thing? What are the details? Sure is an exciting prospect, having a new more modern engine and trans in a classic.

Cheers Richard
Richard, engines was replaced in 2000 with GM Goodrich, the trans has been on my list to have rebuilt, since i found a lot of metal in the pan and it was leaking badly. Since i could not find anyone to rebuilt the TH475, i went with this well known shop in Austin to replace it with a Jasper 100k miles warranty. It works very well, runs cool and is all what I hoped for, except the issues i had to deal with.
The shop owner said he was surprised about his "technicians" shortcomings, but the reality is that they don't give a r... a..
Besides having tires installed, this trans thing was the only thing I had done by a third party shop. Oh I forgot
4. Tire shop charged me for new valve stems, but forgot to install them and one the old ones leaked promptly....
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Fort Valley , Georgia
I would not trade my motorhome for anything on the market today. Sure there are problems, name one new motorhome that has not had at least one problem. We just came back from Pigeon Forge, Tn. with no major problems. I will always do my on repairs, that way if something breaks, I only have myself to blame. I always learn something about my MH and try to do a better job the next time. I feel with each repair I know my MH better. We also are the hit of most campgrounds we visit. Most people did not know Airstream built MH's that look like the trailers. Just enjoy what you have! I am always very proud of our piece of Americana!
Old 09-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
Loving our 82 24' Motorhome

I am loving our 24' motorhome as well. Taking it to the Buellton Trailer Bash next weekend. Unfortunately, we are not mechanical and we have to hire out our work. I don't recommend owning an old mh unless you are handy but I am in too deep to leave it now. I have people asking to buy Sweet P all the time.....but no one has offered what I would be willing to sell her for.....
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
I traveled the country in a 1964 corvair van for four years and 170,000 miles for my Commercial Photography business...........I actually miss replacing axles on the side of the road in 30 minutes or less hahahaha
Old 09-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #41
Gunter

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
My previous outing a month ago the voltmeter gauge would fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator and everything appeared fixed. I went camping this past week and the problem reoccurred. It would start fluctuating after driving approximately 10 miles. The volt meter would stay at 12 volts for a couple of minutes and then increase to 14 volts. It did this for the two hour drive to the campground and home. When it went down to 12 volts I stopped and verified that I was only getting only 12.3 volts at the Battery. When I came to a stop I was sometimes able to have it jump to 14 volts by revving the engine. It would either be at battery voltage or full alternator output of 14 volts. I did clean all of the connections at the Voltage Regulator at the campground which didn't resolve the problem. Don't understand why it works fine the first 10 miles of driving before acting up. Any suggestions? Also I was using my generator to power the roof air conditioners both times on the way to the campsite and back home the generator would stop after running for approximately 1.5 hours. It would start back up after I got to the campsite or home so I am glad it wasn't the generator voltage regulator. Very frustrating.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Gunner, you might want to check your Battery separator/ isolator at the front under the hood. Replacing mine brought the charging voltage into the correct range. Except for when the headlights are on, then the gage drops back to the low 12 volts.

Also I'm wondering if your voltage reg could be at fault. Letting the ful charge thru to recharge low batt, from sitting as well as powering the starter, then shutting down too much once they have recovered.

Purely conjecture on my part. Electrics are all a mystery to me. Just a little less so after dealing with them on my coach.

Engine cooling and electrics issues seem the bane on our coaches.

Keep us posted as you get it sorted.

Cheers Richard

« Step motor | Top | Air bags »