Old 08-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Mike

There is really not much behind the fridge to clean really just the wall. The thing is to make sure the outside vent on top is free of leaves or other debris.

When we got our coach I checked the vent up top and it was plugged with pine needles and leaves I had to drill out the rivets and remove the top to clean it.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks John, thats good cause I see no way to access it other than pulling it out.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
..... Hardly a day goes by when i don't think of our beloved 280 turbo diesel....
Reminds me of the movie with Steve Martin and John Candy, when they were driving down the wrong side of the interstate and people waved and yelled:
"You are driving the wrong way" "How do they know where we are going" is what John Candy said....haha
When people pass me waving frantically and I reply with my be cool wave, I sometimes wonder if my Antenna just blew off and took the AC cover and the rear awning along with it....
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #18
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Take a deeeeeeep breath. Woooooossaaaaaaaa
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1987 32.5' Airstream 325
dripping springs , Texas
I'd say your doing pretty good if you only have 2 items on the list.....

-Bill
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
My Classic MH is so freaking cool, but..

We've had a great experience with ours. From at trouble free 1500 mile maiden voyage from Seattle to 5 years and 25,000 trouble free miles. Couple minor glitches like a radiator hose and wiper switch. Partly due to countless hours of PM. So far a lot more love than hate. I have been frustrated by some of the workmanship issues that I've ranted about. Some of them are truly time bombs and flaws that lead to big problems.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the Spartan chassis. It's really quite simple and easy to work on if you break it down system by system. Just takes bigger wrenches.

Like driving classic cars, boats, or airplanes, it's going to be a hobby just keeping it going. I like the classic airstreams but if I were rich I'd be cruising in a new Prevost. I couldn't even come up with the sales tax on one. So weather you are talking boats, planes, or motor homes, I end up resurrecting (or rescuing) other people's hand me downs.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I was taking a stroll with Tavish, our Border Terrier, around Sauble Falls Provincial Park campsite recently, where upon I heard this very excited/relieved cry of a womans voice; "It's coming, it's coming", along with the sound of a very laboured motor. As I passed a line of cedars I came across a gentleman with his arms outstretched pushing for all he was worth on his slide out.

With the slide out finally in place he rested and then turning to me, his face red and full of worry, he muttered, "first time it has done that".

I asked how old the trailer was, "two years old, he replied, and out of warranty". With a downcast look, cursing, he stated "It took a hellava long time to fix what was broken the last time; how long is it going to take them to fix this?".

I muttered some words of encouragement, quietly left thinking that all the work on my motorhome has not been for naught and thanked my lucky stars I didn't have a slide out, and a disposible trailer.

Cheers
Tony

PS Not twenty minutes later, after he had dumped his tank, he passed my 310 while I was eating lunch with his BBQ/counter slide out and the door up. Running faster than my kids have ever seen me run I managed to stop him before leaving the park.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:29 AM   #22
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Cartoon.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	270423  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Thank you Peter for inviting me to this thread!
While we now are proud 345 owners since 2013 in GERMANY, let me step in here.
I really canīt say, "Bangles" is a stressless "Beauty", no "Beauty" is....!
But she is worth all these "little" issues. We use her under respect for the age and what it is, but we USE her for our fun, also for my business. I just came back last night from Frankfurt/Main, we attended the TENDENCE show. it was a total flawless trip, about 350 km, she ran like a bullit.
I saw on this ugly parkspot for RVīs beside the fairground (no AC, no water, no jumpstation...!) many odd looking RVīs, brand-new, none of these cheaper than about 80000 to 100000 Euro. As we entered the "camp", we were immediately the "sensation", people asked if it is a new US design....! We had to "boondock", but WE could stay for 4 days with 2 adults easily. Let them be poorly build (THEY ARE!!!!), but have a look into the "roots" of a new HYMER or WINNEBAGO or what ever. Also crap and ugly. None of these will last for 35+ years, they rot in less than 15 years. i saw "shiny" rigs from 1995, the sandwich walls full of water.
You need to take care of the classics, then they can run easily almost daily. I am pretty sure, itīs worse NOT to drive them regularly. Ours was a "garage.beauty", low miles, well kept, but we had to re-build almost everything on Engine & chassis.
I had to learn, DO NOT travel without the basics of parts (hard to get here), full set of US-wrenches and tools, wires, rivet gun, belts hoses....! One compartment is always full!
(thank you again Peter for your suggests!)
I will NEVER buy a new Rig, regardless how wealthy i may become. If it really will happen, it will be possible, i could imagine to purchase a big "BLUEBIRD PT", but i will NOT sell our beloved Bangles.
She is so cool, giveīs so much fun and make people smile, wherever we "occur". Countless "thumbs up" and positive comments, i could make "guided tours" to show her from inside.
Common US-motorcoaches are not very welcome on german RV grounds, but if you enter a spot or gustation or what ever, with "Bangles", you can be sure to make a big splash.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I love this post. Hardly a day goes by when i don't think of our beloved 280 turbo diesel. They really did use an Isuzu tug boat engine, I know I had to replace ours. I try and think of the good times and not the many hours sitting beside the road, or our depleted bank account.
There was the time I rolled into a repair shop in rural Georgia using the parking brake and transmission to stop. The owner spent about an hour in the back room and comes out dusting off several boxes telling me he had the new brakes in stock. Then there was the night driving through Chicago that the dash board exploded leaving the interior full of smoke as every wire melted. Then the camping trip we tore apart our bathroom searching for the water leak. I can go on for hours but easier to list the tools I always had on-board.
1.A rivet gun
2. Volt Meters
3. spools of wires.
4, Fuses
5. pipe wrenches
6 heavy hammer
7.Vise grips.
8. drill bits
9. power driver with extra batteries.
10.My Bible

Alan- I hear you, I miss the MH but love my trailer.
I think the Bible should be at the top of your list
Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
My Classic MH is so freaking cool, but..

Getting ready to drive the 94 from Colorado to Michigan. A little nervous about this trip. It's been a problem child for the POs. I think I've worked through the major issues and am chasing down some electrical problems. I'm fully prepared to have it transported the rest of the way if it dies on the road. Greater plans for it once I get it back to Michigan. Not expecting the trouble free experience we have had with the 95.

If you start running out of projects on your AS, buy a second! The 95 is too nice and original to "customize" but the 94 is a blank canvas. The duck commander redo is still a consideration!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hey Dave, are you taking the northern route (I80) back to MI or possibly considering something different on this trip. We sure enjoyed US36 on our last two trips to CO. I realize youd have to head a little bit south to pick it up but its a really nice drive. The road is in real good condition and you get to see some beautiful parts of Kansas unlike taking I70.

Mike n Lynn
Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
seeing Chaplain Kent's post reminds me-
I loved my 280..I thought it reminded me of the tour bus I lived on for almost 4 years.
Especially the sound of the generator running. (Which it did anytime we had hot weather. It was keeping the roof air going as the engine AC did little if anything.)

On my trip up the coast from Georgia- the 90+ degree heat made it a bit toasty in the bus. It was hard to keep it cool.
Then the electrical system went nuts, seemed the exhaust manifold was too close to the started wires and burnt them through.
Then the brakes started acting up. The engine started running hot.
After the wires were fixed the lights did not work.

But we had a terrific time, and cruised up from Georgia to Hershey, PA, then back down the Maryland Coast into VA and NC. Over 3 weeks ....ahhhhhh fine memories...still miss her
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I know how you feel even though I pull a Vintage 1978, not a MH, it makes my'fix it' problems seem pretty small when I see AS owners who just laid out $100,000 + for a new one and they have a long list of problems.

(Women who behave seldom make history)

« Step motor | Top | Air bags »