Old 01-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Motorhome Generator

Even with the generator running at full load the current to excite the armature isn't really huge. I would expect limited success on cleaning the brushes and commutator that way but It sure is worth the try. I was looking for the picture but couldn't find it. I was able to stick my iPhone in a tight spot and get some good pictures of the brushes and bad commutator of a heater motor on my Explorer. Used the same technique to find a good one at the junk yard.

I also have an inspection camera from Harbor Freight. That has been very handy for situations like this. Also works well for inspecting the dogs ears. Forget the DIY colonoscopy! 😳

Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Basically with any generator RPM controls frequency and current from the regulator controls voltage. Slip rings and brushes are the first place to look, then the wiring to them from the regulator, then the regulator assembly itself.

You are going in the right direction 😗

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #31
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Thanks for all the positive reinforcement. Based on the winter weather in Ohio it may be spring before I pull the Generator to access the slip ring assembly. I believe pulling the Generator is the only recourse since it is too confining to be able to work on it without pulling it.
1984 Motorhome 345
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Here's a thought... Lectra Motive Cleaner. Can also be found at auto parts stores, Walmart, and on occasion RV parts stores.

The following is a long story to tell you this can of cleaner may get you going if it's only in need of cleaning, and you can get access with a spray straw to have a solution before it warms up.

Sometimes when getting access to the electrical parts due to confined spaces, you can get away with spraying it down with the above from the few access points.

Good example of use, the old I4 in GM vehicles in the 80's nicknamed the iron duke had a habit of developing an oil leak at the valve cover (among many other places) just above the starter and gumming it up. It was a weak point in the gasket and an easy inexpensive fix. Plenty of people would replace a starter every three months before figuring out the oil leak was causing premature failure. (why some mechanics were happy to do it without addressing the oil leak cause is another matter) I had a friend in college who's parents came to visit in an Olds 88 with this exact issue, they were having starter issues, and could not get the car started to get home. He called me for assistance, and after seeing it, determined it was from the oil leak, and they would be happy to pay me to replace the starter. Imagine their surprise when a (then) $5 can of electric parts cleaner fixed the issue enough for them to get home. My buddy and his dad then spent the next vacation at home replacing the valve cover gasket for a quality bonding moment. I even had the opportunity to participate via speaker phone.

Hope it helps.

1994 36' Classic Diesel Pusher
Vycan is online now   Reply With Quote