Old 11-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Dakota, I'm sure that Keyair will agree with me on this statement. If you're considering an Airstream motorhome, and you don't know which end of the screw-driver is the business end, don't even bother looking. Hell, don't even think about ANY motorhome, no matter the year. If you can't afford a new motorhome WITH an extended warranty, go straight to tow vehicle and travel trailer.
But, I'll say this, the number of folks who 'took the tour' in my Airstream this weekend while camping, were certainly impressed with the quality of my Airstream. Sure, it's 23 years old, it has it's issues, but like I've said any number of times to those who've questioned my purchase, "It's got GOOD BONES!"
There will always be those that can't 'see' beyond what's in front of them. Those without vision, don't even consider an older Airstream motorhome....
Just me sayin.....
Thanks, Derek

Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Dakota, I'm sure that Keyair will agree with me on this statement. If you're considering an Airstream motorhome, and you don't know which end of the screw-driver is the business end, don't even bother looking. Hell, don't even think about ANY motorhome, no matter the year. If you can't afford a new motorhome WITH an extended warranty, go straight to tow vehicle and travel trailer.
But, I'll say this, the number of folks who 'took the tour' in my Airstream this weekend while camping, were certainly impressed with the quality of my Airstream. Sure, it's 23 years old, it has it's issues, but like I've said any number of times to those who've questioned my purchase, "It's got GOOD BONES!"
There will always be those that can't 'see' beyond what's in front of them. Those without vision, don't even consider an older Airstream motorhome....
Just me sayin.....

Thanks, Derek
I totally agree for the mechanically inept which is probably the vast majority. That's why we are able to buy 10+ year old units that sold for $150K+ for less than $30K.

The only point I was trying to make is that if you are a DIY guy and happen to be capable of working on a 454, dont discount a diesel as being more difficult to work on. Lots of trucks out there running them and I've found parts readily available. My exhaust manifold was about $240 and gaskets and studs were about $1 a piece. Serp belt $45, water pump $55. Filters, hoses, etc are all inline with automotive prices. All in stock.

The Cummins in mine is in a cavernous engine compartment with great access from the top, bottom, and front after you pull the radiator. No carb or ignition system. One wire going to the fuel shutoff valve and a starter wire. A few sensors like water level, temp, oil level, pressure. Really pretty simple and easy.

Dave...

Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I agree Dave.
Your 5.9 is what I would put in my 345 in a heartbeat.. and I have a buddy who can get me one when i want one..
I guess my point was that you want an engine that is common, not something exotic or rarer... the 6BT fits that criteria too.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
5.9, in my dreams.....maybe before I retire? Jeez, if Steve does it, then I'm heading to California to get Steve to do the swap!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Glad I didn't read this sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Thanks, Derek
Should we send the 1982 24' back to Florida? Tell me again, which end? paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Should we send the 1982 24' back to Florida? Tell me again, which end? paula
A can do attitude and a little help and guidance from people on sites like this and you will be fine. Its not rocket science. Find a good mechanic for those things you can't do yourself. I had some serious buyers remorse when I got mine home. 4 trips and about 5000 miles in 3 months and were very happy we bought it and looking forward to next spring. Not planning on taking it out of storage this winter other than bringing it home for a few projects.

Keep in mind that we pay a fraction of what some people loose just driving a new units off the dealers lot.

Dave...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Paula, if you've restored a '68 Ambassador, this won't be 'rocket science' at least the Airstream part. Once you get to the engine mechanicals, drive train, air bags, etc, etc, you'll see that you're already in the best place for advice concerning the Airstream motorhome.
Can't wait to see more of your pix, once you've taken delivery.
Thanks, Derek
Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Thanks for the encouragement.

As you may remember Uwe did the work on our 68......because we have not the skills or place to work on either the trailer or the motorhome. And I have been warned that the motorhome is just double to amount of time and money as the trailer....hopefully not....my plan is to not rip everything out on the inside. Would like to keep it as original as possible....altho the wood grain formica is a beauty to behold.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3991.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	145335  
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
the 6BT fits that criteria too.
Umm, did I miss something? Unless that engine got swapped-out, it's a "6BD",
prolly not a "1A", which was made from '82 on. The "1H" was for California coaches. Those are important numbers. Paula, we've had good luck with "Tom's Truck Center" in your area. I don't have a link, but 1.800.661.6502.
You've got to get that engine serial # correct, as Isuzu made that industrial engine for a number of platforms, most of which were on fishing boats, so the numbers are very important. There is also Hamilton Engines in Portand, OR. I have the parts call-out should you need help. Drain and replace that lower fuel filter first of all. If you add some diesel to the bowl after cleaning the water separator and replacing the filter, you should not have to deal with re-prime.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
It is a Chevy 454 7.4L gas engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Umm, did I miss something? Unless that engine got swapped-out, it's a "6BD",
prolly not a "1A", which was made from '82 on. The "1H" was for California coaches. Those are important numbers. Paula, we've had good luck with "Tom's Truck Center" in your area. I don't have a link, but 1.800.661.6502.
You've got to get that engine serial # correct, as Isuzu made that industrial engine for a number of platforms, most of which were on fishing boats, so the numbers are very important. There is also Hamilton Engines in Portand, OR. I have the parts call-out should you need help. Drain and replace that lower fuel filter first of all. If you add some diesel to the bowl after cleaning the water separator and replacing the filter, you should not have to deal with re-prime.
The motor VIN Starts with 1 GBJP37W4C330XXXX P
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 11-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
The motor VIN Starts with 1 GBJP37W4C330XXXX P
Thought you had a diesel, sorry. But the diesel info is good.