Old 03-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Kent's right. Now's the time to explore changing up to a newer 4 spd tranny. If you're going to go to a Jasper replacement why not go to an early 4spd without the computer stuff? I'm assuming the next version of the TH400 didn't need the computer and still shifted off vaccum.
So will the crowd now please educate us on what we would need to do... I'm sure the steering column would have to change for the 4spd unless a remote shifter leaver was used.
I don't know as I agree. A four speed would certainly be a nice upgrade but I think you need to consider the cost verses how you plan on using the moho. If you plan on 15 to 25k miles per year then yup, might be a smart thing to do. But, if your down in the 5 - 8k range, maybe not. If you travel in mostly mountainous Terran, no maybe about it, the 3 speed is cool. If you drive 50-60 mph, the 3 speed is cool, If you toe something, the three speed is cool. Of course, you could always go with a Duramax and an a Allison 5 speed.

Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Springfield , Ohio
Tranny Talk

Originally Posted by gunner
I have been experiencing for several years a transmission problem and I am contemplating if I should get it repaired. The problem is when it is cold 30 degrees F or less the transmission when cold ( motorhome sat overnight) will slip until the engine runs for a couple of minutes. During the summer or warm weather there are no problems with slippage and you can put it in gear and take off as soon as you start the engine after not having been run all night. I was told that the seals in the transmission are probably at fault and having shrunk. They swell to the proper size when warm. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what did you do to correct it.

I have encountered the same situation several times and have had great luck in following this advice from my good friend who is a professional transmission guy: 1) have the transmission power flushed which exchanges all of the fluid (about 16 quarts). 2) install a new filter. 3) add a can of Lubegaurd Red, Lucas or Seafoam transmission juice. 4) Drive it.
I recently resurrected a very troubled transmission in a 370 this way. After the treatment, we drove it on a 1500 mile trip with absolutly no trouble.

JKWoodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
What's the possibility of putting in a four speed or an overdrive transmission? I am still in the market to lower my RPM and increase speed.
You can have a six speed with overdrive by adding a gear vendors. I put one in my 1990 16 years ago and it still works fine.
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
YOU MY NOT HAVE TRANS PROBLEMS !!!!! Don't rush into a trans replacement or over haul. I have rebuilt a bounch of these over the years and symptoms here don't add up. Converter drain back:--it is just as likly to drain back when it's warm as when it's cold. No metal or matterial in trans pan: When ever slippage occurs clutch plate matterial nearly always is found.
My guess from afar: I would suspect the engine FAN CLUTCH. When they begin to fail many times they won't release and run engine speed and make noise much like an airplane prop. This can and is, many times, mistaken for a slipping trans. I personally overhauled a trans for this reason only to find the vehicle had a fan cutch that was frozen up.----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Howard Lefkowitz
You can have a six speed with overdrive by adding a gear vendors. I put one in my 1990 16 years ago and it still works fine.
I talked with Gear Vendors and it is not available for my diesel engine.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #20
M Hohnstein
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
germantown , Wisconsin
gear vendors

Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I talked with Gear Vendors and it is not available for my diesel engine.
I have applied GearVendors to several vehicles, it depends on the transmission type in the vehicle. Import transmissions are out of luck, but domestic rear drives, ie T 400, C-6 and Torque Flight are covered.
The cost and complexity of updating to newer OD type transmissions is prohibitive on a vintage MH, unless money is no object.
A point of reference, a 4L80 OD will bolt to the 454 or GM diesel but it requires a stand alone computer to control it. A very good price on such a project would be around $4000, I think one could buy a lot of fuel for the exta money. The key to living with the old 3 speed is drive slow and keep the RPMs under 3000 in gassers, 2500 in diesels.

M Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote