Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #43
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
So the vinyl. I selected 3M Di-noc light weave. It is a commercial grade textured vinyl that is very forgiving with defects in the substrate.

First pic shows the bathroom bulkhead getting worked on. The other side was very hard as it had many corners and wraps around the door edge.

Second pic is the cart full of finished product.

Third pic is one of the rear wardrobe doors. The arrow indicates top as there is a definate grain to the weave.

Fourth pic is the bathroom curved wall panel with the old covering just peeking out from the bottom. The counter I have built is one piece and wraps around behind the toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03288.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	219837   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03293.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	219839  

Name:	DSC03289.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	219840   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03286.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	219841  

Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #44
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Final pics.

First pic is that nasty cracked curved wall panel in the shower. As this panel was riveted to the shower pan and I considered quite fragile, I elected to vinyl the panel in place. With the 45 degree coves on both sides it did prove to be challenging.

Second pic is the old wardrobe and the third is the wardrobe covered.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03287.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	219842   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03291.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	219843  

Name:	DSC03292.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	219844  

Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Tony, that doesn't look like your typical home workshop

Needless to say I'm jealous!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #46
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Lucky me....I have unlimited access to a fully equipped woodworking shop with AXYZ and point to point machines, finishing booths for paint and I don't even pay any rent.

Working hard everyday to make your boss money and keep his shop running does have its perks.

Cheers
Tony
Old 08-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Fantastic shop and work!

I would take a pay cut if I could get those perks! My work shop is a 12 ft cargo trailer parked next to the RV at the storage lot. LOL.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #48
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sorry for not posting recently but I have been busy.

First pic....now you see it.

Second pic....now you don't.

Third pic. Couch will be recovered this winter and oak dash cabinet will be replaced this winter as well.

Fourth pic...closest silver faucet spout on the sink is a battery powered foam soap dispenser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03295.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	224246   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03296.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	224247  

Name:	DSC03297.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	224248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03303.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	224249  

Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #49
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
First pic. Kitchen cabinet with convection micro. I ran a new line for the microwave from the panel.

Second pic is fridge side with the recycling/ laundry centre pulled out.

Third pic are the brand new cabinets I made for below the wardrobes. I ended up tapering this one as the old one didn't come out as far as the edge of the couch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03307.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	224253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03304.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	224254  

Name:	DSC03299.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	224255   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03300.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	224257  

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #50
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Fist pic is rear to front. I should take a better shot of the lower cabinets.

Second pic is the entry gable. We added a textured finish, replaced the upper cork board with a wipe board and the lower fabric section on the flap door with a self healing pin board.

Third pic shows the sink cabinet. I have decided to run a Flow Jet 3000 BW 12 Volt 5 gallon water jug pump to supply fresh water to the spigot on the sink. The pump is mounted on the left with the suction part resting on the 5 gallon water jug holder.

Fourth pic shows the battery operated foam soap dispenser from down below. I used a bike rubber inner tube to help support the weight of the soap bottle. This allows me to just slip the tube off the bottle to replace or remove for winter. These jugs are good for 2000+ dispenses. I also put one in the bathroom.

I will post some more pics soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the rest of us Canucks on the site.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03298.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	224258   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-14 10.21.07.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	224259  

Name:	DSC03305.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	224260   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03306.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	224261  

Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Wow, what an awesome job! I love it!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #52

1984 31' Airstream310
Port Mouton , Nova Scotia
Interior finishes

Thank you for the reply great to hear the sky is the limit!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #53
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Yes, it has been a very long time since I've posted anything to do with working on the Mistress; winters tend to be long and cold and this spring was cool and very wet.

However, back to work.......

I had heard a high pitched squeal from my passenger front wheel a couple of years ago, and on the way back home had stopped in at John's, we took the bearing cap off, tightened the bearing and off and away we went. This past year the squeal was back, so I finally manned up and took off the calliper, rotor and hub. Since it could have been a bad bearing, or a bearing race spinning in the hub and either way not too sure which was what, I took everything up to John to find out. We washed everything in his parts washer and discovered the races were tight but the front bearing was starting to eat into the bearing race. Ordered some new races, bearings and seal from work; I installed everything and reinstalled rotor and hub.

The rubber engine shroud on the drivers side had finally let go and dropped down on me, so I bought a new sheet of 3/16th rubber sheeting and cut out new wheel well shrouding and installed it yesterday.

Before installing the shroud I checked my master cylinder only to find it almost empty. I had noticed the brakes were very soft this spring, so decided to check it out. I checked for leaks but couldn't find any, refilled cylinder, had Fiona pump the brakes as I bled them and had a strong hard pedal again. I still don't know where the fluid went but will keep an eye on it.

John came down to give me a hand at setting my toe-in as my from drivers tire was showing considerable wear on the inside of the tire. We found a nice level place in the arena parking lot in order to do the measurments and the adjustment and set to work adjusting the tie rod adjuster (it was out by over 1/4" or one full revolution of the adjuster).

It was while we were finishing up that we noticed a clear liquid dripping down from the front crossmember into a puddle. I had noticed fluid dripping down earlier in the spring but thought my oil seals in the turbo were dried out and the resulting over pressure in the crankcase was blowing oil out the blow-by crankcase tube; which is right over the front crossmember (the engine on the first run felt like it was straining against itself). John however stuck his finger into the drip, smelled it and swore it was brake fluid. I tried to look up the brake line schematic for P30 chassis to no avail so I crawled under with a flashlight to at least find the leak. It was wet everywhere but my brake line was pristine, thinking maybe it had rubbed through somewhere I kept checking. Looking up against the engine further I notice wetness in and around the fuel lines, dried everything off, pulled the passenger tire and engine shroud to find a return line had developed a tiny crack as it exited the metal line on the fuel pump; cut the offending part of the fuel line off, replaced the line and clamped it off. No more leak. It was amazing to both of us how diesel these days doesn't smell like diesel anymore; seriously, we both thought it was brake fluid.

Thought I'd better start my generator and run it for a while; it started just fine but no power?????? Pulled the generator cover off to find both circuit breakers are in the on position, checked oil level and manually started generator again; still no power. Took the transfer switch cover off and found a wire sitting across one of the relays, moved wire, tested both relays by moving them to see if they had welded themselves to shore power position (they were good); restarted generator, low and behold we have power.

I had posted that I was getting the rear electrical compartment re-done as the floor was almost rotted out. I asked the metal guy to build the new box with a lowered floor so my 20 ton airjack could stand up right, would allow me to lower the airline reel, making it easier to reel in the airline and also give me more room for my other heavy tools. I POR-15 the box outside and in and top coated the outside with aluminum paint as POR-15 shouldn't be exposed to UV light. I love the fact that everything now fits better and my jack won't end up going through someones grille.

Cooked up some chicken, roasted potatoes for all of us for supper and felt very happy that the Airstream Gods were kind to me this weekend.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04412.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	288657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04413.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	288658  

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:43 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Tony, it's about time you got back to work on your rig.....

That was a good idea to drop the floor on the electrical compartment. You can never have enough storage room. I've got one of those air over hydraulic jacks and don't know how I ever got along without it.

Can you post some pictures of the 3/16" rubber engine shrouds? I've only seen the one at the front covering the to of the radiator. It sounds like you have them in the wheel wells also.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #55
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

It was while we were finishing up that we noticed a ...
Sounds like a very productive weekend to me, Tony.
The whilst is one of my most favorite game to play...its always very rewarding and never lets you down

Do you have rear drum and disk brakes on your 83? If drums, how long ago since you pulled the axle and drums to inspect the rear brakes and wheel cylinders?
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #56
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Sounds like a very productive weekend to me, Tony.
The whilst is one of my most favorite game to play...its always very rewarding and never lets you down

Do you have rear drum and disk brakes on your 83? If drums, how long ago since you pulled the axle and drums to inspect the rear brakes and wheel cylinders?
Disc's all around Peter. When I purchased the rig, I had the garage that certified it check and lube all the brakes, change the tranny fluid and filter, and change the rear diff fluid; back in the days just after I bought it and didn't have a clue what I was up against.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote