Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Mirror! Eyes Right!

Well, the inevitable stupidity has occurred, and I have stripped off the shotgun side mirror on a bit of sturdy bamboo, backing up in the dark. Did I mention the time change?
1991 AS 350 LE, with power mirrors.......
Does anyone know if Ramco still carries the plastic plate to which the mirror base housing is attached. What I call the mirror base housing is the bit of plastic screwed to the AS, which shears off so well--and keeps the mirror from tearing off the side panel.

Ralley
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Better for me if they would not have put a reverse on these coaches ralley!!! and we have semi's on the farm ???? but backing these A.S. coaches does me in after dark also ralley
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley View Post
Well, the inevitable stupidity has occurred, and I have stripped off the shotgun side mirror on a bit of sturdy bamboo, backing up in the dark. Did I mention the time change?
1991 AS 350 LE, with power mirrors.......
Does anyone know if Ramco still carries the plastic plate to which the mirror base housing is attached. What I call the mirror base housing is the bit of plastic screwed to the AS, which shears off so well--and keeps the mirror from tearing off the side panel.

Ralley
Ralley, the folks at RAMCO are nice folks. It's been a few years but the last time I called I talked to a real person. Take a few photos of the driver side and have them ready to email. They are sure to help out.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Question

Does RAMCO make replacement mirrors for the classic motorhomes? Our 81 excella needs them bad.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
At One time I thought I saw a ( Plastic ) Chrome cover for the Black mirrors ? has anyone seen these or purchased a set ???
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Inside!!

Well--Thanks very much--Ramco folk are indeed nice; they sold me the sacrificial bracket AND suggested that I buy two because the part has been discontinued and no more will be made when the stock is gone. I did.

When I began to loosen the bolts in the bracket, they eventually turn freely--with the nuts still attached. I need to remove the interior panel below the shotgun side window--I cannot quite reach the nuts through the hole for the cupholder.

Can anyone point me to instructions for removing the panel below the window? I can see no visible fasteners.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rob, you made me get up and look...

Though mine is much older than yours I'm not sure much could have changed.

My panels are just screwed into the side walls and if I remember correctly once I took the panel off I had free access to the mirror mounts.

I can imagine that AS perhaps created some trim to hide the screws over the years but the panels on Airstream One are fixed with screws... at least here.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
reflections...?

Haven't lost a mirror, yet, but I can tell you how to repair the steps, if you leave them down...done it twice, now...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Rob, you made me get up and look...

Though mine is much older than yours I'm not sure much could have changed.

My panels are just screwed into the side walls and if I remember correctly once I took the panel off I had free access to the mirror mounts.

I can imagine that AS perhaps created some trim to hide the screws over the years but the panels on Airstream One are fixed with screws... at least here.
Thanks very much--I'll have a look with tools in hand tomorrow, and report what I find.

R
Old 11-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Haven't lost a mirror, yet, but I can tell you how to repair the steps, if you leave them down...done it twice, now...
The best way to repair steps is to replace them--if you've done a REALLY THOROUGH job of destroying them. It cost about $1K of my time to determine that what I really needed was $500 steps.

Note that the automatic open/close switch on the newer steps works backwards from the older ones. I kept opening the door and the steps retracted!! Wife pointed it out--I was too tired to notice.

Rob
Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
rearviews and hindsights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley View Post
The best way to repair steps is to replace them--if you've done a REALLY THOROUGH job of destroying them. It cost about $1K of my time to determine that what I really needed was $500 steps.

Note that the automatic open/close switch on the newer steps works backwards from the older ones. I kept opening the door and the steps retracted!! Wife pointed it out--I was too tired to notice.

Rob
I had to grind out the swivel rivets, beat the braces back into straight with a hand sledge on an anvil, put in bolts/washers/lock nuts, and play with the tension adjustment...since they were bolts, it was MUCH easier to do the second time...
Our mirrors are electric...there is a base plate on the underside of the arm held on by 4 phillips screws, a running light on the base plate held on by 2 phillips screws, and the base of the mirror swivel is held in place by 2 Allen wrench bolts...don't know how the arm is held to the body, but am guessing that what ever it is, it would be accessible once the base plate is removed...otherwise, it would probably require removing the inside wall panel...I sincerely hope I will never have to find out...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote