Old 03-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Rob,

I don't remember if I still have your mailing address so why don't you pm me your address and I'll mail you a set made from PETG. I'd rather the test be done with PETG as that's what I plan for production use. As far as I know you can't remove a window until you've removed the track so there should be no issues with leaving the window in place!

On my test window I just slid the new track into place so I can't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same. The old track is held in place with a small screw at each end. Remove the screws and pull/tug/yank/cuss to get the track out from under the window!

For the test you shouldn't have to fasten them in place with screws but should you decide to leave them in place I'd highly recommend fastening each section in place with screws. I've provided a hole at each end of each piece so at most you would just need to enlarge the hole slightly for a screw. I decided to provide the holes to make it easier for drilling and also to ensure the holes were in the center of the track.

Thanks,

Brad
PM Sent!

Great, that's what I thought, but I have yet to tackle that project.

Also, where do you source your PETG? Would like to get some, not sure if there are good/bad brands, as there are definitely some sub-par PLA sources out there.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
PM Sent!

Great, that's what I thought, but I have yet to tackle that project.

Also, where do you source your PETG? Would like to get some, not sure if there are good/bad brands, as there are definitely some sub-par PLA sources out there.
Rob, enough pieces to do two windows should be in the mail sometime this week.

I did a trial fit with the revised design and I don't see any glaring problems. I might have to rethink the hole locations but will wait to see what you think.

I've been buying eSun 1.75 PETG from Amazon. A friend of mine uses several Prusa machines to fabricate gears and parts for his business and swears by eSun. Since I'm still rather new at this I can't say it's the best but I don't seem to have any issues when using it.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Thanks Brad! I should have time to do a test fit this weekend. My current class wraps up Friday so I plan to put in some long hours on the Airstream this weekend to relax
Old 03-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks Brad! I should have time to do a test fit this weekend. My current class wraps up Friday so I plan to put in some long hours on the Airstream this weekend to relax
I'm thinking you need to find a different source of relaxation

Package is in the mail, you should have it before the end of the week.

Brad
Old 03-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
I'm thinking you need to find a different source of relaxation

Package is in the mail, you should have it before the end of the week.

Brad
Received them in good shape, just finished installing the first window and so far they are fantastic, makes a world of difference. The holes don't line up with the factory, which is a good thing, as I don't think I'll be removing any of my factory screws without breaking them or drilling them out
It's easy enough to drill a new hole in the aluminum rail, and countersinking the hole you have there is an acceptable exercise for the user, but if you wanted to pick a standard size SS screw and countersink in the model that would be cool. Hole locations are good for me, AS only used one screw on the bottom to stop it from sliding back and forth (they also didn't bother countersinking mine, just screwed it down and mashed the plastic. I also noticed they covered my weep hole with weather stripping and glue )

In general the size seems great and the window operation is great now, whereas before I basically had to pick it up and carry it from one side to the other. You'll see why in the old/new track side by side pic.

I've only done the bottom for now, as the tops are both in better shape, and more of a literal pain in the neck to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190317_144835.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	335877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190317_144759.jpg
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	335878  

Name:	IMG_20190317_144734.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	335879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190317_144456.jpg
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	335880  

Old 03-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
more pictures
I think it's pretty obvious which are before and which are after

Currently I don't have them screwed down, need to go to the hardware store
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190317_143825.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	335881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190317_143812.jpg
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	335882  

Name:	IMG_20190317_143704.jpg
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	335883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190317_140825.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	335884  

Old 03-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
One problem I have is the mangled part of the window frame from years of ramming the stop, is so warped it scrapes the plastic, so I need to straighten those out.

I mashed it into place OK with pliers for now, but I really need to pull the window and straighten it back out before summer when it goes into regular operation

That's got nothing to do with the track itself though
Old 03-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Received them in good shape, just finished installing the first window and so far they are fantastic, makes a world of difference. The holes don't line up with the factory, which is a good thing, as I don't think I'll be removing any of my factory screws without breaking them or drilling them out
It's easy enough to drill a new hole in the aluminum rail, and countersinking the hole you have there is an acceptable exercise for the user, but if you wanted to pick a standard size SS screw and countersink in the model that would be cool. Hole locations are good for me, AS only used one screw on the bottom to stop it from sliding back and forth (they also didn't bother countersinking mine, just screwed it down and mashed the plastic. I also noticed they covered my weep hole with weather stripping and glue )

In general the size seems great and the window operation is great now, whereas before I basically had to pick it up and carry it from one side to the other. You'll see why in the old/new track side by side pic.

I've only done the bottom for now, as the tops are both in better shape, and more of a literal pain in the neck to remove.
Great! Thanks for being the guinea pig

I thought about counter sinking the two holes but haven't taken the time yet to figure out how to do that in Fusion 360

I was wondering if the top strips were going to be as worn and the bottom ones usually are. It would seem logical that they wouldn't wear as badly since they aren't bearing any weight.

I noticed in your pictures you have the strips mounted 180 degrees from what I was doing on my test window. I couldn't remember which way the strips were supposed to go so I set them in place with the lip towards the outside of the coach.

Does there seem to be any wear on the plastic from opening and closing the window? That was something I couldn't really check for since my window is just sitting on the floor and hard for me to man handle.

I made the holes .100" in diameter figuring they would act as guide holes for the drill bit.

Now it will be interesting to see how long the pieces last. Oh yeah, I bought some gray PETG hoping to make the pieces look more like the originals.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 03-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Great! Thanks for being the guinea pig

I thought about counter sinking the two holes but haven't taken the time yet to figure out how to do that in Fusion 360

I was wondering if the top strips were going to be as worn and the bottom ones usually are. It would seem logical that they wouldn't wear as badly since they aren't bearing any weight.

I noticed in your pictures you have the strips mounted 180 degrees from what I was doing on my test window. I couldn't remember which way the strips were supposed to go so I set them in place with the lip towards the outside of the coach.

Does there seem to be any wear on the plastic from opening and closing the window? That was something I couldn't really check for since my window is just sitting on the floor and hard for me to man handle.

I made the holes .100" in diameter figuring they would act as guide holes for the drill bit.

Now it will be interesting to see how long the pieces last. Oh yeah, I bought some gray PETG hoping to make the pieces look more like the originals.

Thanks!

Brad
No problem, thanks for sending them!

Lip inside is how they all are on my coach.

No immediately noticable wear other than where my aluminum frame is mangled, everything seems to slide well

The length is longer than the original but that doesn't seem to be a problem

The holes did work great as guides for the drill bits!
Need to get myself a proper countersink bit though, using a bigger drill bit wasn't working so well

The color is just fine to me, doesn't look out of place in the window channel to me at all!

Do you deeply desire feedback on how these work on the top tracks?

Do you have abs filament?
I have a bunch now, we could print the same design in different materials and put them side by side for a wear test. I can make notes taped to the windows to remind me to open them at the same time and tally the cycles.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
No problem, thanks for sending them!

No immediately noticable wear other than where my aluminum frame is mangled, everything seems to slide well
I guess the good news would be if they do wear faster than the originals at least the replacement pieces are really cheap to make

Quote:
The length is longer than the original but that doesn't seem to be a problem
I only measured one of mine and it was 23-1/2" so I made each piece 11-3/4". It wouldn't surprise me if the guy tasked with building the window just used tin snips to cut a piece of window track off the roll and didn't pay much attention to the actual length.

Quote:
The holes did work great as guides for the drill bits!
Need to get myself a proper countersink bit though, using a bigger drill bit wasn't working so well.
I'll see what I can do about adding the countersink to the holes before I publish the drawing and printer files. That should be an interesting exercise in Fusion 360!

Quote:
The color is just fine to me, doesn't look out of place in the window channel to me at all!
Want some orange pieces.....?

Quote:
Do you deeply desire feedback on how these work on the top tracks?
I don't think it's necessary. The fact that you could install them on the bottom and the windows worked as good or better than they were tells me the design profile should be close enough.

Quote:
Do you have abs filament?
I have a bunch now, we could print the same design in different materials and put them side by side for a wear test. I can make notes taped to the windows to remind me to open them at the same time and tally the cycles.
No ABS. I haven't tried ABS yet because I'm currently not set up to use it. My printer is in the family room and I'm not keen on having those odors in the house!

From what I've read PETG is supposed to be a very durable plastic. I'll see about adding the countersinks and then I'll publish the files.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
I only measured one of mine and it was 23-1/2" so I made each piece 11-3/4". It wouldn't surprise me if the guy tasked with building the window just used tin snips to cut a piece of window track off the roll and didn't pay much attention to the actual length.
Yea, I noticed that there were pre-drilled pilot holes in the channel track that the technician building it totally ignored

Quote:
I'll see what I can do about adding the countersink to the holes before I publish the drawing and printer files. That should be an interesting exercise in Fusion 360!
If it's anything like the other cad programs I've used, make triangle, revolve into cone, and then subtract the volume from the existing shape. I'm sure you'll figure it out, and if you don't feel like it it's not really necessary

Quote:
Want some orange pieces.....?
Sure, I'll paint my airstream too while I'm at it

Quote:
No ABS. I haven't tried ABS yet because I'm currently not set up to use it. My printer is in the family room and I'm not keen on having those odors in the house!

From what I've read PETG is supposed to be a very durable plastic. I'll see about adding the countersinks and then I'll publish the files.

Thanks!

Brad
I haven't found the smell bothersome, but I guess it also wasn't in my living room

PETG seems to be pretty great

I do wonder if these 3D printed parts will have trouble for airstreams stored in the texas sun, but that's an issue no matter what plastic you use. Probably best not to use PLA!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Just for the record, I found my spare window in the barn and the lip is as you described, towards the inside of the coach.

Brad
Old 03-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I am salivating over these, looks like amazing work Brad.

Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Roswelll , Georgia
Question Window slides

Will these work on the AS 370LE? My windows look similar to the ones shown in the pictures.

Steve

bora77 is offline   Reply With Quote