Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #1681
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Asking a favor here from any of the 310 owners. I replaced the muffler on my Onan RV 6.5
generator and it just looks like it's hanging pretty low to me. (I also added a tail pipe to take the exhaust out the back). Could one of you take a measurement from the bottom of your generator muffler to the ground? I replaced it with the OEM muffler so no difference there. Thank you for the help fellas!!!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #1682
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Brain fart....rear air bags... well, the muffler is higher, slightly, than the skid plate for the gas tank so it should be good right?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #1683
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
How about some pictures ?
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #1684
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
How about some pictures ?
Yes, please. I wanna see this tailpipe, mine fell off.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #1685
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ill get a pic in the morning in the daylight. For the tailpipe I just ran it straight out the back from the end of the muffler with a slight bend downward at the end. It used to exhaust underneath the coach so now it gets past the rear bumper. It ain't purdy but I think it's safer.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #1686
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Here are a couple pics I found where you can see the old muffler.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	334051Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	334052
Old 02-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #1687
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
tailpipe

I think you need to go outside right now with a flashlight so we all don't have to wait till morning.......
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #1688
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Here are a couple pics but it's pretty dark out. I think it's the tailpipe that's making it stand out and look low to me. Upon further inspection... there's only about 2" of clearance between the top of the muffler and the bottom of the generator box, and ya have to get a clamp on right there. It just looks low but I think it's the tail pipe and hanger.. I think I was having a senior moment, optical delusion, duh

Name:	IMG_2386.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	334056Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2384.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	334057Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2387.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	334058
Old 02-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #1689
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sorry Mike, I can't help you, as a PO replaced my generator with a 2006 Onan Marquis gold gen set; so my set up isn't stock. My tailpipe exits ahead of the generator department.

Yeah, you might want to air up before measuring.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #1690
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Looks fine to me, other than the fact that it kinda looks like a geoduck

Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #1691
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Coulda sworn I had better pictures of mine from when I painted it, but I can't find them now

Here's a not very good picture, but it looks like yours is even higher than mine, I can take a better picture tomorrow if you'd like
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190220-203808.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	334059  
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #1692
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks you guys. I lost the old one about 20 mins from home as we were leaving for Florida on Jan. 1st. Hehehehehe glad it wasn't an omen for the rest of the trip.

I was looking at it after the install this afternoon and convinced myself it was hanging too low but I think it's ok actually. After looking at the old pics and the others...

On to some more stuff I need to get done on her before April.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #1693
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
my wife told me she didn't see it, I'm the only person that remembers that episode of dirty jobs, and you'll all think I'm weird; so I felt the need to photoshop the two together to justify myself

Nothing against your muffler Mike, looks like you did a great job, I agree it looks safer than the stock setup! I've considered the same mod.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mikesgeoduckmuffler.png
Views:	84
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	334064  
Old 02-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #1694
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I like it, and yes I saw that episode of Dirty Jobs hahahaha
Old 03-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #1695
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Howdy folks. Spring is just around the corner....right???? As we head down to single digits tonight, BLECH!

Ive got a question and hope someone has been there. I'm replacing vacuum tubing on my entrance steps. When removing one of the tubes going from the vacuum actuator over to the solenoid valve I found what appeared to be an intentionally cut hole in it. The hole was located where the tube threads up and over some metal bracket so at first I thought it was caused by rubbing up against the metal. But, when I got the tube out and inspected it closer it looks like it was made with a razor in the shape of a "V". Could this be? Maybe some type of bleed off? Doesn't make sense I know but it sure looks like it was a clean, accurate cut in the tube. Has anyone seen or heard of this?

Thank you for any input or advice.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #1696
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Wellll I think Ive got a handle on how these vacuum steps work, on paper anyway. The weather has been too nasty to get under there and instal the new parts. I decided to go ahead and replace all the rubber vacuum hoses, the vacuum actuator, and the solenoid valve. The door jamb switch is operating just fine so I won't mess with it.

And indeed, that hole in the one hose coming from the "front" of the actuator was cut intentionally in order to bleed off the air inside the actuator to allow the steps to extend.

If anyone is interested in part numbers for the solenoid valve or the actuator Ill post them up, but not until Ive got it all installed and I'm absolutely sure it all works correctly.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #1697
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Mike, yes please, when time permits, post the part #s. I have the same step. Mine has a ghost living in it. It works, then doesnt, then works, then doesn't. One issue with mine is that it extends at wide open throttle (up a mountain grade) when engine vacuum is low. Maybe I need to add a vacuum tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Wellll I think Ive got a handle on how these vacuum steps work, on paper anyway. The weather has been too nasty to get under there and instal the new parts. I decided to go ahead and replace all the rubber vacuum hoses, the vacuum actuator, and the solenoid valve. The door jamb switch is operating just fine so I won't mess with it.

And indeed, that hole in the one hose coming from the "front" of the actuator was cut intentionally in order to bleed off the air inside the actuator to allow the steps to extend.

If anyone is interested in part numbers for the solenoid valve or the actuator Ill post them up, but not until Ive got it all installed and I'm absolutely sure it all works correctly.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #1698
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Mike, yes please, when time permits, post the part #s. I have the same step. Mine has a ghost living in it. It works, then doesnt, then works, then doesn't. One issue with mine is that it extends at wide open throttle (up a mountain grade) when engine vacuum is low. Maybe I need to add a vacuum tank?
Hopefully in the next day or two it will be dry enough and warm enough to get under there and check the fitment of the parts I ordered. Ill give a heads up if it all works out. It took me a bit to really understand the system but I think Ive got it now. I hope
Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #1699
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Got the vacuum step completed yesterday and working real well. A little disappointed that I couldn't get the new solenoid valve to operate properly so I used the old one which is working just fine. But I wanted all new parts for the controls, Ill keep looking for a solenoid valve that might work. Whoever engineered this step was really doing some creative thinking, took me quite a while to understand it's operation. The Corvette hide-away headlight vacuum actuator works perfect and is a direct replacement. Even the mounting bolts line right up.
The solenoid valve is a fuel selector valve for dual fuel tanks. For some reason though, I couldn't get it to switch over when energized. Maybe because of the vacuum rather then fuel flow. When I would retract the step, no voltage to valve, then it would stay retracted when I applied 12v. Couldn't get it to switch over.
Here is the actuator https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is the solenoid valve....I looked at several suppliers and they all seem to be selling this same universal valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd really like to find a solenoid valve that would work for our application. The one I bought was a 3 port 2 position valve. Then all the control parts would be new for my step. Started out just wanting to replace the old tubing, one thing led to another..........
Old 03-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #1700
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Howdy folks. Spring is just around the corner....right???? As we head down to single digits tonight, BLECH!

Ive got a question and hope someone has been there. I'm replacing vacuum tubing on my entrance steps. When removing one of the tubes going from the vacuum actuator over to the solenoid valve I found what appeared to be an intentionally cut hole in it. The hole was located where the tube threads up and over some metal bracket so at first I thought it was caused by rubbing up against the metal. But, when I got the tube out and inspected it closer it looks like it was made with a razor in the shape of a "V". Could this be? Maybe some type of bleed off? Doesn't make sense I know but it sure looks like it was a clean, accurate cut in the tube. Has anyone seen or heard of this?

Thank you for any input or advice.
The hole in the vacuum line coming from the "front or side with connecting arm"
Is indeed intentionally cut in order to bleed the vacuum off the actuator allowing the steps to extend. They actually extend by a spring attached to the linkage.