Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2019, 05:59 PM   #1661
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Curt, did you get my message with the list?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #1662
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Cool Curt, you are most welcome to stop in at the southern home for wayward classic coaches and their crews.

Yep, almost totally recovered recovered from the Mayco visit and ready for more.

Will see y'all in March.

Cheers Richad
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:39 PM   #1663
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We thought you hung in there real well with all our partying and carrying on Richard!
seriously, it was a great time hanging out with you at your slice of paradise there Richard! Thank you for the great hospitality and the best meal yet on our trip!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #1664
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceStream View Post
Richard,
Thank you for the invitation, we will definitely try to make it to see you. We will be in your area march 23-31, we rarely stay at places with full hookups, so that is not a problem at all. If you can get along with Mike and Lynn, you can get along with anyone. LOL.

Hopefully we will see you soon.

Curt
We're a pretty tough crowd to deal with...especially Lynn
Old 02-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #1665
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We are still hanging out in southern Alabama at Jennings Ferry COE campground. This place is so beautiful that it's going to be hard to leave. We are going to head north a bit on Thursday to another COE called pickensville campground.

Still on our never ending quest for the worlds best BBQ and we were able to find two in Tuscaloosa that fill the bill. Both have rich histories well documented in the media and both have been around for decades.

This first one is called Dreamland, fantastic smoked sausage and ribs with the Alabama almost orange colored vinegar base sauce. Yummmmmmmmm

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2171.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	332947
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...loosa/5226849/

The second is called Archibalds and Woodrow's. Another unassuming little BBQ shack but well known throughout the south for its great food and interesting history.....ahhhhhh what a life!!!! This is pretty fun

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	332948

https://www.archibaldbbq.com/history.html

We are just 35 mins from Tuscaloosa a nice little drive, and very pretty too

.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	332949

These are the real deal old time southern BBQ shacks for sure.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #1666
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Ahoy Mayco, glad, to see that you found Deamland, they have a sister restaurant in Mobil that is outstanding. Great big pit in the middle of the place that's open to the restaurant side. So you can watch them loading and tending the meat as you munch, outstanding BBQ.

How is your trip going? Did you drive north in that fair period after the polar vortex storm? Got to grab the good weather when it comes.

Looking forward to your update.

Cheers Richard
Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #1667
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Heyyyyyy Richard! We are touring the COE parks as we slowly move north through Alabama and on into Mississippi. Having all kinds of fun and mostly really great weather. In the 80s yesterday and sunny, cold front moving through right now so it only got up in the 40s today. We are currently camped at Pickensville Campground right on the Tombigbee river. The tug boats pass by a couple times a day and at night. Very cool to watch. When I get better cell connection I'll post some pics. Moving on Sunday a couple hours north and into MS, Whitten campground near Fulton MS. this has been such a wonderful trip to date that we really don't want it to end. These COE parks are so gorgeous and the sites are perfect for us. No reservations needed and well maintained, they do a top notch job.
Soooooo, we will probably be headed home within the next 10 days or so. We've pushed back dates for appointments and what not as far as we could and need to be back by the last week of Feb.
Got reservations in Colorado for mid April so when we get back Ive got a few things to get done on the rig before we head west. Having a great time Richard, discovered some beautiful parks we will be returning to......god willing of course.

Hope all is well with you and Pete. Good luck with all the red tape with the city council and those engineers! You'll get er done! Love your place there and hope to see you again next year unless our paths cross sooner.

Adios for now buddy.

Mike n Lynn
Old 02-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #1668
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	537.6 KB
ID:	333325Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2182.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	333326Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	333327Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	333328

These are from pickensville coe campground on the border between MS and AL. Beautiful campground and nearly empty. There were a couple other campers at the far end of the park. We were camped about fifty feet from the water of the Tombigbee river. Another great spot to watch the tugs slowly pushing barges both up and down stream....even at night well after dark. Talk about some powerful spot lights!!!!!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #1669
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I've got a question, does Mayco stand for Mike and company?

At any rate its great to hear that y'all were able to find more time for this trip. You do seem to travel well and so enjoy the adventures.
This trip is just the sort that I like, wandering around with no definite plan.
Finding new places. Going where fancy takes you, yeah!

And what a contrast you are finding to the crowded parks here along the gulf coast. Let's hear a cheer for out of season travel, have heater will travel.

Thanks for the pics. The COE parks are usually very nice, most do have some water feature of interest. I also find the commercial river traffic cool to watch.

Happy trails Mike, Lynn, and wriggle!

Cheers Richard
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #1670
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Richard, the whole Mayco name happened in a little bus stop in Mexico. Lynn n I were buying tickets for the bus and there was a beautiful young gringa behind the counter that spoke no English, infact no one in the place spoke English. I speak enough Spanish to get by. Well she asked me my name and I replied "Michael". She heard it as Mayco and that's what she wrote on my ticket. So Lynn has called me Mayco ever since. We got a good chuckle out of it.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #1671
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Just wondering if any of the team here has been keeping an eye out for the latest and greatest plug and play LED headlight conversions for our rigs. It has stayed on my to do list for a few years now and would like to get it done before spring. I take a look at Amazon every now and then and there are so many choices that my head gets to spinning. There are some variables that I think need to be paid attention to; DOT approved, reflector vs projector design, I am hoping to find a true plug and play set of lights.

Anybody been keeping up with the changing technology and have any recommendations on brand, supplier, most important things to look for??? I think we all want better headlights but it's been getting pushed back on my list until this last long trip west where we did more night driving than expected. A lot has to do with the time of year we were traveling, darker earlier.

Anyone care to share what they've been looking at lately?

Thanks guys n gals,

Mike
this should help you: https://www.xenonpro.com/difference-...tor-headlights

cheers
air23jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #1672
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	333626Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	333627

This little BBQ shack is just north of Tupelo MS right on US45, we passed it on the way south and I was bummed.
BUT!, I spotted it coming north so I set the hooks and was able to make the turn across 3 lanes of traffic. May be the best ribs and chicken so far on this trip!

Stayed in a little town called Milan TN last night at their newly developed city campground. Very nice facility for an overnight.

We are kinda sorry to say we are back in Illinois tonight at another city campground. Only about 6-8 sites but they have water and electric at each site, a dump station and a brand new very nice shower and bath facility. Plus it's only $10 per night. Temps are falling, gonna be chilly the rest of the way home.

One more stop tomorrow, we will spend the night at our favorite campground close to home. Gotta dump our tanks and I'll blow our lines out either there at the campground with the on board compressor or wait till we get to the homestead.

What a great trip this has been. We left on Jan 1st. Learned a great deal about camping down south and found some OUTSTANDING COE campgrounds that we will visit again next year. Southern Alabama, for my money anyway, is the place to explore and we will do more next year. The COE parks are just incredible, no crowds,, no need for reservations, they are all on waterways, the temps are near the same as the panhandle of Fl., and their campsite layout is outstanding. They really know what they are doing.

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	333628

Adios,

Mike n Lynn

PS; thanks again to Richard, Tevake, for putting us up for a couple nights at his kingdom in FL... That was a real highlight to get to kick back relax, and visit with a fellow traveler in one of these beautiful old beasts! Thanks buddy! We are going to invade you again next year ifn you'll have us! Aloha!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #1673
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
So envious. Our time is coming tho!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #1674
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Mike N Lynne.....I sure have enjoyed getting my morning cup of coffee and following you on this trip.....thanks for all the great posts!!!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #1675
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hiya Steve and Steve! We feel awful grateful to be in a position to travel this way. Very very grateful. We've had a great deal of fun on this one for sure..gotta get home and make a few repairs and a small mod or two then off to Fort Collins Co to see the kids. Glad you got some enjoyment along with us...absolutely love traveling "off-interstate". Boy, some of the places we saw on the back roads of the Deep South. Everything from 19th century plantation "big houses" to small shacks that looked deserted but weren't. And of course...THE BBQ!

We sure love the 310, just the right size for us. Trying my best to keep her loved and cared for. Ran like a Top for the whole trip. People seem to get a kick out of seeing it on the road also. The last rest stop we were at in TN we had two groups of folks traveling that came over and took pictures and wanted to know everything about the old rig. That's fun that others eat a smile out of seeing it.

(Steve (centennialman) tell Willie hi for us please. We still have his gift hanging in the rig. The oversized flip flop "island time")
Old 02-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #1676
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Willie was thrilled to hear that the flip flop is still traveling down the road

Mike....did you use a book to find the COE campgrounds or.....?
Old 02-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #1677
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
MAYCO's 1982 310 TD

I just stumbled across this thread and would like to ride along with you on your next adventure.

BTW, we also like the COE campgrounds. A good source for finding them (and other public CG) is the Ultimate Campgrounds app ($4.99 for US and Canada).

Here is a screen shot of what the app shows for southern Alabama and part of the Florida panhandle. The red ones are COE CG.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	333697
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #1678
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We found a map at one of the campgrounds. I think they are mainly in the south but may be out west too. The map we have shows AL, MS, TN
Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #1679
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I just stumbled across this thread and would like to ride along with you on your next adventure.

BTW, we also like the COE campgrounds. A good source for finding them (and other public CG) is the Ultimate Campgrounds app ($4.99 for US and Canada).

Here is a screen shot of what the app shows for southern Alabama and part of the Florida panhandle. The red ones are COE CG.

DanAttachment 333697
I will check that app out for sure.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #1680
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for the information re: the COE campgrounds....will check out the App. I saw some books on Amazon but the reviews weren't the best.