Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #1181
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
If you guys are passing thru CA I’d love to meet you guys!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #1182
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
If you guys are passing thru CA I’d love to meet you guys!
Back at ya there Steve! This trip we are going to be on the east side of the Rockies but future trips will include your neck of the woods. Two of my brothers lived in CA for years and they still dog me because Ive never been there. Still have a Niece in LA. So it's on our travel list to get out your way!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #1183
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
Ok we are going to try to leave around the 18 Dec and head for San Antonio for Christmas and then head west .No real plans just get someware warm.
Hey, hey, do I hear San Antonio? Pit stop in Austin is a must, John! The Austin/San Antonio IH35 corridor is treacherous, you better rest up for a few days first.
I have full hook-ups for you (30 amp) and a rag to check your oil.
Sorry to hijack your thread, Mike, but I am catching up on my reading and had to reply to this. You and for that matter anyone venturing down this way is very welcome to stop in at anytime.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #1184
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Peter we have reservations at the koa in san antone on the 23rd and we are supposed to be leaving around the 18th. The weather here will be the deciding factor as to when we leave.

We might be able to get together I will let you know as we make our way down.

Thanks for the offer of a place to stay
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #1185
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
So we are getting ready for a two month trip out west/southwest. You guys know we do this crazy winter camping thing every year.. I do a few things to the coach for winter camping, nothing drastic but there are things we can do to keep it more comfortable in low temps.

One thing that I haven't solved yet is the following;
When we are "on the road" and making overnight stops, getting ready to get back on the road in the mornings, getting the windshield and cab side windows deiced and defogged is a challenge. I have so far made a practice of covering the inside of the windshield with reflectix every night when we stop. It seems like moisture gets trapped in between the reflectix and the glass then freezes up over night. With the cool running Diesel, it won't get up to warm temps just idling and sitting there so the defroster doesn't want to do much. Ive made some repairs and mods to the ducts to get much more airflow through the defroster and this will be our first winter trip with the repairs done, hopefully it will make a big difference.
I also don't have a working dash AC so no dehumidifying through the system.

Any ideas out there on ways to either prevent the frost build up over night or ways to effectively get it off in the morning considering the cool running Diesel?

I'm thinking that I may leave the reflectix off the windshield for overnight stays to see if that helps. Ive been sticking a little ceramic heater up on the dash in the mornings to speed up the process. Would covering the windshield on the OUTSIDE help ya think?

Its a pita when we are trying to get back on the road in the mornings. Ive got a little non compressor type dehumidifier but I don't think it does much of anything. We don't usually have a moisture problem once out west, I think because it's just so dry out there.

Haven't seen any 12v plug in defroster units that rate very high, would need to watch amp draw too.

Any ideas? Thanks fellas. We are heading out in about a week or so.

Mike
Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #1186
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Try covering the OUTSIDE of the windshield with the reflecix to keep the glass warmer and prevent the condensation form freezing.

A lot of the heat loss through the glass is through radiation into the sky. Covering the outside slows this down.

Also work on ventilating the interior as needed to keep the humidity down. I have a temperature/humidity sensor along when we travel, and watch the interior (and exterior, for that matter) relative humidity as well as temperatures to keep the humidity inside my AS at a reasonable level.

Using bathroom vents and stove hood at appropriate times also helps reduce excess humidity.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #1187
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Looking forward to some pics Mayco!
For some reason I just adore MH's in the snow pics!
Mike Leary posted some years ago and I just love it!

A couple of thoughts...
Maybe try blocking the radiator or grill to help the engine warm up? Years ago, in the UK there was a thing called a "Radiator Blind", that was either mounted on the grill, or was a roller blind mounted in front of the radiator with a cable allowing you to adjust it from the cab...
A quick search found this to reference...
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/radiator-blinds.htm

Reflectex for the windows is good, but I also saw a member who had, what I can only describe as a "Windshield Bra" on his 345. It wrapped around this windshield and side windows and was like a "Sunbrella" mesh material. It was secured around the wiper arms and had other fasteners too... it looked very good to block sunlight/heat, but still allowed you to see out. Maybe that would help, but there is a risk it could freeze to the glass too!
I dont know where he got it, or if they are available still, but with my sewing machine, I plan to make a copy. Maybe I could make a few if there is interest!

On another note, simply because I hope one day to cold weather camp, I have discussed the insulation of the floors from below(Yes, Brad, like an Argosy!).
My research and previous discussions indicated its doable, but there was a nagging worry in my head about weight and fire issues....
I think I found a solution... Roxul is the trade name here in the USA.
Looks good enough to me!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #1188
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
...With the cool running Diesel, it won't get up to warm temps just idling and sitting there so the defroster doesn't want to do much.
Hmm.....maybe a nice 454 engine swap would be just the ticket....
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #1189
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent

Over here we call them radiator muffs, and they are still quite common on Land Rovers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rove...26.m2548.l4275
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #1190
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I'm glad you brought up covering the grill, Ive got those pieces cut and used them last year. It did help a bit on raising the coolant temp, it may help the speed in which it heats up also. I'd forgot about doing that, good catch.

I will try covering the outside of the windshield. Ill come up with something to fasten the reflectix for this trip. If it helps I'll try something more permanent. In theory that should help.

Ive never tried cracking a vent before. Ive seen it recommended by many people but Ive never given it a try, Ill try it this year.

Good ideas to try.

Steve, I assume our floors are built the same, with the same framing and sequence of layers. Insulating the floor would be a HUGE HUGE improvement for winter travel. Unless you plan on removing the existing floor to install the insulation, I assume you're thinking of doing it from underneath. It could be done, tedious and time consuming but if you tackled it a bit at a time you/I could do it. So how would you plan on keeping the insulation in place? I believe the cross members on the frame are apx 16" o.c. so that material may be or probably is precut to fit a typical stud cavity. That would speed up the process. Then would you cover the entire underside in order to keep it dry? I'd like to hear more about how you would go about it. It would be such a big improvement on our rigs. That stuff looks pretty dense too so it would ba a good sound barrier for road noise while traveling.
Care to share more thoughts on what you're thinkin there?

Thanks fellas
Mike
Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #1191
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Hmm.....maybe a nice 454 engine swap would be just the ticket....

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, Ill think about that for a moment.....ok I'm done, NOO
Old 11-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #1192
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heh, found a link at the bottom of the thread...serendipity is where you find it...

The chart of suggested indoor relative humidity vs outdoor temperature is very useful...

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/reduce...ld-forming-rv/
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #1193
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Heh, found a link at the bottom of the thread...serendipity is where you find it...

The chart of suggested indoor relative humidity vs outdoor temperature is very useful...

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/reduce...ld-forming-rv/
Good link, thank you
Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #1194
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yes Mike, exactly what I was thinking.
That stuff does say it’s self draining, and quite firm/stiff, so maybe chicken wire or some 1/2” sheared aluminum strips across secured with ST screws into the egg crate frame I thought maybe gluing with construction adhesive but that would worry me if I needed to remove it. Maybe a layer of reflectex as well?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #1195
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I'd like to hear more about how you would go about it. It would be such a big improvement on our rigs. That stuff looks pretty dense too so it would ba a good sound barrier for road noise while traveling.
Care to share more thoughts on what you're thinkin there?

Thanks fellas
Mike
Mike,

The Classic motorhome floors are constructed similar to the early Argosy models but Airstream made two what I consider significant changes. First, in the Argosies the 1"x 2" steel floor grid is laying flat where in the Classic's the grid is on edge. That means I have a 1" thick floor grid and you have a 2" thick floor grid.

The other difference is in the Classic's Airstream laid down the floor grid, covered it on top with a skin of galvanized sheet metal (probably about .030" thick) and then laid down either plywood or OSB on top. On the Argosies they laid down a sheet of .030" thick aluminum sheet, then set the steel grid on top of that, filled the grid with 1" thick white styrofoam board insulation and then laid the plywood floor down. That means the Argosies have 1" of insulation where the Classic's have none. The aluminum sheet was fastened with rivets from the bottom and all the edges were sealed with vulkem to keep moisture out.

From my perspective from having owned a 310 and my Argosy what you would want to do is buy whatever thickness of foam board insulation that you want, stuff it up into each cavity from underneath as best you can and then buy some sheet aluminum, or sheet galvanized steel and rivet it to the bottom of the steel floor grid.

My thoughts are you don't necessarily need to insulate the whole thing. I'd start by insulating the center section where you walk and then any other areas you can reach within reason. Some insulation is better than no insulation.

I'm having to do something very similar since I gutted my entire floor. I'm basically starting over with the sheet aluminum, styrofoam and plywood.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 11-30-2017, 05:14 AM   #1196
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I totally agree with you Brad. Cut the insulation tight enough to friction fit, then cover it. Obviously it would be pieced in a bit at a time. But it can be done. I would do what you say and start with a strip down the aisle area and then whatever I could get to towards the sides. Wouldnt be pretty but it's doable.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 AM   #1197
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I totally agree with you Brad. Cut the insulation tight enough to friction fit, then cover it. Obviously it would be pieced in a bit at a time. But it can be done. I would do what you say and start with a strip down the aisle area and then whatever I could get to towards the sides. Wouldnt be pretty but it's doable.
As I've been buying the materials needed to complete mine I tried to find .030" aluminum sheet with no success. I ended up buying .040" from Metals Depot which is about 40 minutes north of me so I didn't have to worry about shipping issues. They do sell online and ship as well so it might be worth checking them out.

Here's a little tidbit about the steel 1"x 2" tubing floor grid. When I was replacing the vacuum steps on the 310 with the new Kwikee steps I needed to drill a hole in the bottom of one of the 1"x 2" tubes. You can imagine my surprise when the drill popped through and water started pouring out! Apparently the tube was full of rain water. I drilled a couple other holes in various locations and I think only one other one had water drain out. I never did figure out where the water was coming from

Brad
Old 11-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #1198
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
[QUOTE=bkahler;2040426)

I never did figure out where the water was coming from

Brad[/QUOTE]

Look up; way up; see those fluffy things in the sky.😜

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #1199
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Look up; way up; see those fluffy things in the sky.��
I learn something new everyday....
Old 11-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #1200
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I went outside, looked up, and couldn’t see any fluffy things....
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote