Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #1941
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
And snakes! Turtles, birds, fish... it’s definitely worth the side trip.

Lots of local flavor around there. My mom had to go to Sopchoppy to buy pottery every year. Follow the signs down the 2 track. When you hear the banjo music, keep going! [emoji3]
Why did the hair, (what little I have left[emoji57]), on the back of my neck just rise up; oh yeah, banjo music, Deliverence; time to turn back.[emoji54]

Have a safe trip you two.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #1942
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I’ve never seen a manatee up close and would like to, got our fill of gators and whatnot down in Mexico where safety regulations were somewhat lax!

Thanks Tony, we shall. First stop will be in southern Il at one of the few remaining Dog N Suds for real root beer and coney dogs......we had one here in town when I was a kid. We affectionately referred to it as Arf N Barf!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #1943
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Who is looking for a 310TD?

Mayco, hope you don't mind my popping up in your long-running thread. Surely I thought a fellow Aluminaut would see the classified I posted for our 310 TD, and want to find it a new home. Am I asking too much? Too little? Is California too far? Was I too honest in the description? So far I've had a troll from the guy who wants to buy it using Paypal, and the outfit in Florida that wants to be paid $2,750 to take pictures and list it on other sites.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #1944
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
There are a couple in the classified, what do you have listed as the asking price? That will tell me which one it is. I’ll look right now though. If it’s the one listed for $18000, frankly, the asking price was so low I thought it might be a scam....seriously.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #1945
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
There are a couple in the classified, what do you have listed as the asking price? That will tell me which one it is. I’ll look right now though. If it’s the one listed for $18000, frankly, the asking price was so low I thought it might be a scam....seriously.

Yeah, it’s a screaming deal at that price. I’m kind of surprised that it has not sold already, but at this time of year rv’s are not a priority for a lot of folks.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #1946
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ok, so the one posted for $18000 is indeed your rig, I saw your name there. So as previously stated, priced that low I thought it was probably a scam. What transmission does it have, the OEM Chevy? I had sent you a PM regarding the engine rebuild at such low mileage, you responded that the previous owner had overheated the motor causing enough damage to warrant a rebuild.....makes sense. Quickest way to ruin a diesel is by low oil or overheat. These Isuzu motors are very very durable engines. You may want to mention the reason for the rebuild in your ad. The Chevy tranny does have a park prawl (sp) as apposed to the optional Allison that does not, so that does have relativity to the lack of a parking brake...somewhat. I’m not familiar with the Mico Lever Lock system so I have no idea if what you have can be used successfully. But the lack of a parking brake shouldn’t be a deal killer.
I would think that it would have been sold within hours at your asking price. I don’t think you can be “too honest” in an ad so that answers your question. Distance IS a factor for many folks on the other side of the Rockies I suppose. It would be for me anyway here in Illinois. With the gear vendor overdrive and the Isuzu diesel it’s a extremely attractive drive train. If you want my idea on how to get it gone you’ll think I’m nuts. BUT, I’ll put it this way; if it were me I’d wait till spring, list it here and with RV TRADER and any other popular ad services, and I’d start my asking price at about $20000 higher than you have it now.....that is $38000 is more in line with others I’ve seen recently on the market...many with the 454 gas motor and no gear vendors. Might sound stupid but that’s what I’d do.
Unless there has been catastrophic down turn in the market over the past 2 weeks. I think people may assume that there is major problems with a 310TD at $18000.
I can’t remember what the interior is like, did you post pics of the interior. I would post as many pictures, inside and out, of the rig as the format will allow. More pics, more confidence in buyers looking at your ad. Good luck. That’s a steal
Old 12-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #1947
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. It is a steal, and if someone here who actually knows about 310s and doesn't need everything explained wants to buy it for that, I'll leave it up for another day. There are a lot of the usual little problems that I just don't have time for, but also a lot of pluses like a custom 100 gallon fuel tank. The original owner was a marine diesel mechanic and did a lot of upgrades like that, a prelube pump, the intercooler etc. The big problem is that 11 years ago when I bought it, I thought I was ready to slow down and wander. Turns out life had other plans, and the trips I am able to take are shorter and there just isn't time usually to fix things. The last item that I'm having the local diesel shop check out is a little blue smoke on acceleration, I am wondering if the turbo bearings are leaking oil as Mike O'Leary forecast years ago when I was wondering here what else needed to be looked at. If it needs a rebuilt turbo it will be more expensive

Yes, it is the factory GM transmission, with the heavy Gear Vendors, and the park pawl works fine as a parking brake. The interior is nice. I will post more photos.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #1948
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	357694Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	357695

Down at the southern tip of IL just south of the Shawnee National Forrest. We are officially in Ferne Clyffe State Park. Never been here before, its very beautiful with a nice mix of deciduous and pine trees. The Forrest looks similar to Penn Wood.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #1949
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Landed in Milan TN this afternoon. Had drizzle to down pours the whole drive today which sucked BUT, had a great chance to put the new “wiper delay switch” to good work and maaaaaan what a difference that little mod makes. Worked great!
Old 12-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #1950
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
First stop on the BBQ tour, just south of Selmer TN near the MS border. Right along side US45 headed south. You don’t get to enjoy these places traveling the interstate.

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	357806
Old 12-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #1951
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
First stop on the BBQ tour, just south of Selmer TN near the MS border. Right along side US45 headed south. You don’t get to enjoy these places traveling the interstate.
Attachment 357806
.......you're making me hungry!!!!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #1952
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

.......you're making me hungry!!!!

Well, sign says, Pappy Johns BBQ

Ribs, Chicken, Pork

I bet 2 rivets that Mike ordered Ribs
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #1953
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Pappys in Monahans Texas. Ribs, brisket, sausage, pork, chicken (maybe). The ribs are memorable.

Directed a buddy there. He’s from Texas. Got a three-word email from him. “You were right!”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #1954
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Well, sign says, Pappy Johns BBQ

Ribs, Chicken, Pork

I bet 2 rivets that Mike ordered Ribs
Winner winner...ribs it was! Tasty too. A vinegar/tomato base sauce with a twist. I think it was “anise”. Nice little accent to the sauce........and yaaaaaa Peter, they use sauce down here, not just the dry rub.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #1955
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
.......and yaaaaaa Peter, they use sauce down here, not just the dry rub.

No comment
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RudysBBQSauce.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	357819  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #1956
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Sounds like a fun trip!
Old 12-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #1957
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Sounds like a fun trip!

That’s how I like to travel too.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #1958
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Landed at Pickensville Al COE campground for a several days. This campground sits on the TomBigbee River just across the border from MS. we were here last year and really liked it.
I turned 62 years old this past October and applied for my Senior Pass the next day. So all our camping now at COE parks is 1/2 price, $11 a night now here at Pickensville.....can’t beat that with a big stick! Fun to watch the tug boats down here as they navigate the river.
There are 170+ campsites and about a half dozen are occupied.....we LOVE IT!

Developed a small fuel leak on the diesel. It’s in the metal tubing right near the fuel filter. A very small leak, a drop every 15-20 seconds. No noticeable affect on the motor performance but obviously I need to figure out how to at least do a temporary patch. I may cut the metal tubing and source some fuel hose to fit over it and then hose clamps. It’s not a high pressure line. I’ll figure something out. We need to head to town next week anyway so I can hit an parts store. Luckily, it’s on the opposite side from the exhaust manifold and it’s dripping down onto the frame, away from any very hot surface. Other than that, rig is running great and everything is working just fine.

Bout time for more BBQ so we will look around when we are in town, Columbus MS.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #1959
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Sounds like a little bit of heat shrink tubing might do in a pinch
Old 12-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #1960
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I was thinking about that very thing Rob! But can you get it to shrink with anything but a flame? I usually use a little butane mini torch to shrink it, about the size of a lighter. I don’t want to blow anything up the other thing is that I wouldn’t be able to get it over the fitting on the end of the metal tube.....the fitting is brazed on or however they do it. Unless I cut the line and then use it, would you think it would be strong enough? The tubing is fixed in place well.
Thanks for chiming in, any more ideas are certainly welcomed. The tubing has a round fitting on the end that a bolt passes through and is attached to the cap of the fuel filter housing.