Old 07-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
No Brad the steps weren't part of the problem. That orange wire was connected to the Dash air conditioning. It split again under the middle of the dash and went to the the ac blower switch. But was disconnected from the switch. The other side of that joint went under the heater core to a connector. Not sure from there. The dash air system was inoperable when I got the rig. The compressor and bracket had been removed. The steps are/were operating just fine after I removed that wire from the fuse block. All systems are operating as they should, unless Ive forgotten something while testing things. Thanks for all your help......just out of curiosity, are you in some type of electronic production/manufacturing. You seem to have a strong knowledge base in electronics and have resources at work to bounce ideas off of. Im assuming some type of top secret military operation with ties to The Cheyenne Mountain base and NORAD.......

Old 07-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
No Brad the steps weren't part of the problem. That orange wire was connected to the Dash air conditioning. It split again under the middle of the dash and went to the the ac blower switch. But was disconnected from the switch. The other side of that joint went under the heater core to a connector. Not sure from there. The dash air system was inoperable when I got the rig. The compressor and bracket had been removed.
Is the issue resolved with the orange wire or is just disconnected for now?

Also, do you need a compressor bracket? I have several different 454 compressor mounting brackets stashed away in some boxes that are available if needed.

Quote:
The steps are/were operating just fine after I removed that wire from the fuse block. All systems are operating as they should, unless Ive forgotten something while testing things.
Which tells me you got the issue resolved with the orange wire.

Quote:
Thanks for all your help......just out of curiosity, are you in some type of electronic production/manufacturing. You seem to have a strong knowledge base in electronics and have resources at work to bounce ideas off of.
For the last 35 or so years I've been writing software, designing control systems and doing startup work on industrial plant equipment and industrial plants. Over the last 25 years I've been involved in building, starting up and then operating facilities that are destroying the US stockpile of chemical weapons. I'm currently working at my third and final such facility. The Automation group that I work with has a lot up guys that all have similar backgrounds to mine, although most are better educated I'm more of a seat of the pants type.

If I don't know the answer to an electrical question I can just about guarantee that someone I work with can probably answer it

Quote:
Im assuming some type of top secret military operation with ties to The Cheyenne Mountain base and NORAD.......
The place I work isn't necessarily secret but they do like to keep a low profile

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Whoa, I was joshing ya, I know nothing, I know nothing
Old 07-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Whoa, I was joshing ya, I know nothing, I know nothing
Well...it's not too secret, we have a website
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
My last job was so secret they told me if I knew what I was doing they'd have to shoot me!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hahahaha......you just got a good chuckle out of Lynn too
Old 07-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Good one, that one almost brought tears to my eyes!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #120
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Great work guys. It's the electrical that's going to drive me to drink.

John's a good mate in his 70's that has faced more than a few battles with steely determination, Clint Eastwood grit but with a healthy dose of humour. It comes from doing years of Texas shootouts.

Definition of secrecy, is when your husband flies Pathfinder Lancaster/Mosquitoe missions for three tours in WWII, retires a RAF Wing Commander for nuclear Vulcan bombers in 1963; dies in the mid seventies, and you his wife, never tells him that you were a Bombe operator and instructor in Bletchley Park decoding Nazi and Soviet communications for the British government. Their daughter didn't even find out until her mid 50's.

Thanks Uncle Harry and Aunty Sheila Heal (who is still alive in her mid 90's, probably counting cards in her Bridge club)

Haven't even told my family of my service.......waiting until kids are older and will understand.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Lynn n I had a great time with John n Anne. Man Tony, thats one heck of a story about your uncle and aunt.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Mike, I don't know if you have seen this diagram for the '82+- dash A/C wiring. It sure helped me out when I was trying to figure out my dash A/C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5769.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	244940  

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:36 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Dean, where did you find this? From the schematic it looks like the orange wire I disconnected goes to the blower motor sw for the dash AC. It was the one causing the parasitic drain. Good news is that the rig has sat now for several days with the chassis disconnect turned on and the battery is holding a good charge. Tested it yesterday afternoon and it was at 12.43v.

Question; on a charging system that is operating properly, no parasitic drains and battery at full charge, what would be considered "normal" drop in voltage over what period of time??

Thank you,
Mike
Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
It's out of the Chevy Light Truck repair manual. I only have a hard copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #125
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I got my service manuals for my 1975 and 1978 from 73-87ChevyTrucks.com (you have to use Goggle to search as the manuals seem to be in a tech area not the main site).... this is the the link for the closest year I can find (http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...ice_Manual.pdf).
Old 08-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I believe this is the one I have. It's a must have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I got my service manuals for my 1975 and 1978 from 73-87ChevyTrucks.com (you have to use Goggle to search as the manuals seem to be in a tech area not the main site).... this is the the link for the closest year I can find (http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...ice_Manual.pdf).