Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
...The knife holder held the knives with no problem going down the road.

Attachment 241402

Goes well with the new overhead light panels.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
What about a sudden hard stop?! I might be a little concerned about having knives embedded in the back of the drivers seat

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hehehe, dont say that!!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
What about a sudden hard stop?! I might be a little concerned about having knives embedded in the back of the drivers seat
Sudden stopgood one.

I have a bumper sticker on the front that states; "If you cut in front of me, smile as you go under."

God dang you Mike those lights are just the ticket for mine as well. I have being toying around with what to do with them as the plastic covers are aging and I'm scared to take them out.

How much are you charging for your design work or since you used my stainless steel side beside the cooktop we'll call it even?

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
You can see how easy it was Tony. Left the OEM fixtures in place, gave me a good fastening point. Then just tapped into the wiring of the original lights.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Side note, I left the OEM metal fixtures in place but REMOVED the plastic lens.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
...Anyway, Ive some questions for you classic moho owners. I would like to replace my steering wheel with something similar. I really like the look of a wood veneer of some type but I think for comfort Im going to stay with padded leather. Have any of you replaced your steering wheel? If so with what brand and model? Ive been searching the web and see quite a few options but Im not well versed in what adapters are needed and so forth. How critical is it to stay with the exact same diameter other than comfort? Does a 1/2" or 1" smaller wheel make that much difference? If I buy a 9 hole wheel does that mean it will bolt right up to mine? Any other considerations I should be looking for before I order something?

Thanks as always for your help, ideas, and input here.

Mike
Mike,

As far as 9-hole steering wheels go I've found two different patterns. I believe the Airstream steering wheels use the Grant steering wheel standard. There is another one that I have found that is slightly smaller in diameter, just enough to make them non-compatible with the Grant's.

I found out the hard way when I bought a nice 9-hole steering wheel off of ebay and then found that it didn't fit the Airstream 9-hole hub. I then bought a hub and steering wheel for my Triumph TR6 and found that they matched the Grant pattern used by Airstream.

Bottom line is before buying a steering wheel verify the center hold diameter and bolt pattern.

Brad
Old 06-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Brad. So is it safe to say that all the wheels from Grant that have the 9 hole pattern will fit the Airstream hub? Or a select few from their catalogue?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I can't say with 100% certainty that all Grand 9-hole patterns are the same but I think I would be quite surprised if there was a difference. Of the half dozen or so different steering wheels that I've run across I've only seen two patterns. I happen to have two wheels of each pattern. Wish I could find a hub that fits the smaller 9-hole pattern for my TR6 as I really like the steering wheel, just can't mount it right now!

What's interesting is it sorta looks like Grant now uses a 3 or 6 hole pattern. It might pay to contact Grant directly and ask about their various hole patterns.

Sorry I'm not much help
Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats great info. I was getting a little lost looking at the options from different companies. This gives me a good place to start the search again. In a great deal of the photos Ive seen of the Airstream Classics, the steering wheels are bent forward in the same spot at the top. Ive noticed that is exactly where I place my hand when climbing into the seat. I was able to get the bend out of my wheel but the leather is in pretty sad shape where it meets the spokes. I like the look and feel of the OEM steering wheel, if I can find something close Id be happy.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Another thing to look for is the diameter. I think the Classics had 16" wheels. I have a 14" that I'm installing on my TR6 that I plan on testing on my Argosy to seem how a smaller diameter wheel feels and works.

My guess is it might be a little tough to turn at low speeds. We'll see...
Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #25
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I swapped out the standard wheel for a 16" Grant (GRT-677) and use their quick disconnect (GRT-3011).

The spline is a 100% match to the GMC column and you just pull the pin the remove the wheel and have extra room to turn the seats etc. The wheel is part of their performance range and lots of options

The parts are all race rated (upto NASCAR) even if not strictly road legal!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Im still kicking around your idea on the steering wheel Martin. I think its really a creative way to deal with the drivers seat. We have done some simple design things to add extra seating so not sure if we need the extra seat. In your case its a necessity. We have tried to stick to the idea that everything we add should have more than one single purpose. I found some ottomans that are hinge top for storage and the dims were perfect for seating at the fold out table. 17" tall so same as a typical seat height. So between the newly upholstered couch, the two ottomans, and the passenger seat we can comfortably seat 5 at least. I'm kicking around some design ideas right now for the engine cover to seat one more. Heck thats more people than I want to see at one time anyway! But with two grown kids and their mates during a visit it can happen where we need the seating.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #27
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Even if you aren't going to use the disconnect functionality, the disconnect is a pretty good way to convert from the original column to a modern bolt pattern. The spline adapter simply bolts on, then the disconnect bolts directly to the wheel and then slides on the spline adapter. Because the spline adapter slides over the column shaft, and the wheel slides straight into the adapter you end up with the surface plane of the wheel only about an inch above the end of the column is you aren't adding length by using a boss adapter - if you pull the dummy horn cover, the nut that holds the slide adapter is right there.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Steering wheel is on hold for the moment and decided to dress up the motor cover (dog house) a bit. My creative juices have been running low on what to do with the dog house, head unit, and such. The PO had removed the glove box and the entertainment center and then installed new carpet right over the bolts that hold down the front access cover of the dog house. When I got the 310 and went about changing filters and things, I was pretty stumped on how to get to that upper fuel filter because those bolts had been carpeted over and I had no idea how to get to the filter or the alternator belts and things.....oh well that was long ago. I bought a marine grade head unit case and installed it on top of the front engine cover two years ago and called it good for now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436544856.413263.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	242599

I kicked around all kinda of different ideas on building a more attractive cover for the top of the whole dog house out of wood of some sort but like I said, the juices just werent kicking in. I like the idea of keeping the head unit out from under the already crowded dash there in the center so Ive kept the marine case. Made all my connections on good push connectors so I can move the head unit out of the way when needing access. I got quite a bit of sheet aluminum on sale for next to nothing, (worked out to about $3 per 2'x3' sheet) and I played around with a buddies metal break and made a cover for the front dog house access. Laminated the aluminum to some 1/2" plywood, folded and put a 90 on each end which holds this cover nicely in place.
Then went ahead and upholstered a top for the rest of the engine cover with the couch material over 2" foam. Its not overly attractive but serves as an extra seat when needed and wrigley, our four legged navigator now has a real nice cushy spot to lay while rolling down the road.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436545780.823156.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	242600

That cup holder is temporary, I put it together last minute before our trip to Colorado in April. Ill figure something out that looks better but its served its purpose so far this year.
Navigator Wrigley

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436545971.756073.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	242601

Now......a question for those with better generator knowledge than me. Ive serviced the Onan 6.5N genny, new plugs, plug wires, air filter, changed the oil. I did not change the points and condenser because I think I may have to remove whole dang generator to get to them. No fun there. If any of you have managed to change the points on this unit please fill me in otherwise its going to the Cummins Onan dealer and thats gonna be one pricey set of points when they get done. I was able to get to the points with some #400 sand paper and clean them up a bit. She starts right up, seems to want to surge a bit when cold but eventually smooths out and sounds like shes running pretty well. 780 hours on the unit. I ran a crude load test on the genny by hooking my meter to an outlet and tested the voltage with minimal load (i believe just the converter operating on ac) and I was showing a range of 119 to 123.5 volts. Leaving my meter in the outlet I then kicked on the front air conditioning unit and the voltage at the outlet dropped to 117 to 120. Question is, does this sound like its doing what its supposed to? The motor didnt really hiccup when the compressor kicked in, just saw that the voltage dropped but never below 117. Im guessing here but I would think anything between 110 and 125 voltage should be ok. I didnt turn on the rear air, I dont anticipate running them both off the generator but I guess I should do that to see how the genny reacts. So for you generator gurus, is there more I should do to test how its operating or does what Ive described sound like its doing its job and Im good to go?

Thanks for any feed back on the genny fellas. I want to do whatever I can to insure the longevity of the unit obviously.....those suckers are sky high in price.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums