Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #211
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I wonder what the average running temp is for these old Isuzu diesels. Mine runs at about 185 and stays right there. You can watch when the thermostat opens when the engine is warming up. It will climb up to 200 then will settle back at the running temp.

It will be interesting to see what the comfort level will be on the road when we take off going west in Dec.. Im assuming we will need to run the coach furnace also while driving. Maybe set at a low temp like 55 degrees. Im also wondering if the alternator/isolator will keep the coach batteries sufficiently charged while driving and running the furnace blower motor. I guess Ill find out.
Not sure if I would attempt to run the gas furnace while driving, Mike. Don't you have the rear aux heater under the couch?

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #212
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Nope. Just the propane powered forced air. Do you think it would be a hazard or a mechanical issue?.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #213
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Nope. Just the propane powered forced air. Do you think it would be a hazard or a mechanical issue?.
My personal opinion:
I don't like to drive with the propane on. Besides that I would be concerned that carbon monoxide would be forced back into the coach from the driving wind.
I would run the generator and mount an oil radiator somewhere, before I would run the furnace.
But, I have never driven with gas furnace on, so I may be totally wrong.
AIR #13
Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #214
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ive considered that too, except running our small ceramic heaters. I know there are a lot of differing opinions about propane use on the road. Ive wiring my generator to power an outlet for the rear AC, so I could actually run 2 of the 1500 watt ceramic heaters off the generators two circuits. I did that mod to be able to run the rear air off of an additional shore power cord. I dont know if the generator or the furnace consumes more propane but that would be factored in also. Personally Im ok with running propane powered appliances (fridge etc) while driving but I respect and understand the difference in opinions.

http://community.fmca.com/topic/3347...e-on-the-road/

http://rvtravel.com/publish/newslett...octor385.shtml

Just a couple links on running the furnace on the road.

Mike
Old 10-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #215
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
I have been running with the furnace on for years now. I set the thermostat at 68 or so and let it do its thing.

There is flame failure protection built in and so no risk, but only once in many thousand miles and 30 years have I ever found that the flame had failed, and that was after being buffeted by a huge side gust. If you are four (sometimes even 3) season running up here, there is no alternative, (just like you Southerners and running with the generator going for the roof AC), because in a big coach your engine will not keep the whole vehicle comfortable, with or without the auxiliary heater. I wouldn't worry.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #216
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
I have been running with the furnace on for years now. I set the thermostat at 68 or so and let it do its thing.

There is flame failure protection built in and so no risk, but only once in many thousand miles and 30 years have I ever found that the flame had failed, and that was after being buffeted by a huge side gust. If you are four (sometimes even 3) season running up here, there is no alternative, (just like you Southerners and running with the generator going for the roof AC), because in a big coach your engine will not keep the whole vehicle comfortable, with or without the auxiliary heater. I wouldn't worry.
See Mike, listen to one of your northern friends with hands on experience in those matters. To be honest, I have not once considered running the coach furnace while traveling. I once pulled my 34' trailer with the gas on to run the fridge, but everytime I stopped the pilot light was out.
At least the gas lines are tucked away on a Moho, versus being the very first thing to get torn out on a trailer by road debris, since they are run below the belly pan.
My biggest concern is the escape route in the classics, or the lack of.
AIR #13
Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats whats great about the geographic reach of Airforums.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #218
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
... and yes, the fridge does run on propane when on the road. I always feel it runs colder on propane, whether that's true or not.

The most potentially dangerous thing about leaving the furnace running is forgetting to turn off the furnace and fridge when at a gas station. This is just a routine we get into, before we pull up near the pumps.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #219
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Thats whats great about the geographic reach of Airforums.
The really crazy thing is....All my years of living in Canada except three years in North Vancouver have been BELOW the 49th parallel (which is the geographical U.S Can border). Wilder still, in two separate parts of the country, Saltspring Island/Victoria and South Western Ontario.

Interesting note...If you take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz bay or the Gulf Islands, as you leave port, U.S territory (Point Roberts) is to the north, not the south of your ferry, and your ferry travels through US waters for a few miles.

Check out Angle Inlet, Oak Island Minnesota residence, who in order to travel to the rest of the U.S must either take a boat OR cross the border into Manitoba to get to the U.S. There is no border post on the US side, so all visitors to Angle Inlet are asked to phone a U.S border post on crossing the border there. Why they drew the border that way is beyond me.

BTW I do drive with propane on to operate the fridge but get the system checked out.

Cheers from your northern, or southern friend
Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
I travel with propane refrig on. I would not have done that with the previous refrig however. I'm glad that I never ran it on propane at the ranch either!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Havent had any problems running the fridge while traveling. Went through it pretty good replacing control board and the small gas shutoff valve had a leak. Done a few thousand miles with fridge running on propane. This will be our first winter trip where we need more heat than what the chassis system will put out. Ive got a couple options so Im not too worried about it, other than the propane consumption and finding refill spots on the road if needed.

We are gonna do a couple local trips in cold weather before we head west and try to get a good feel for our comfort zone. Should be a great adventure.......famous last words....hehehe. As the Rednecks tombstone reads " CHECK THIS OUT"

Mike
Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #222
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
The really crazy thing is....All my years of living in Canada except three years in North Vancouver have been BELOW the 49th parallel (which is the geographical U.S Can border). Wilder still, in two separate parts of the country, Saltspring Island/Victoria and South Western Ontario.

Interesting note...If you take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz bay or the Gulf Islands, as you leave port, U.S territory (Point Roberts) is to the north, not the south of your ferry, and your ferry travels through US waters for a few miles.

Check out Angle Inlet, Oak Island Minnesota residence, who in order to travel to the rest of the U.S must either take a boat OR cross the border into Manitoba to get to the U.S. There is no border post on the US side, so all visitors to Angle Inlet are asked to phone a U.S border post on crossing the border there. Why they drew the border that way is beyond me.

BTW I do drive with propane on to operate the fridge but get the system checked out.

Cheers from your northern, or southern friend
Cheers
Tony
I would like to travel just a few miles east of the Canadian coast and visit France...... What?!

St.Pierre and Miquelon are two islands, officially French territory, with sizable populations that are off Canada's Atlantic coast..... a well kept secret. French architecture, gendarmes, croissants, and a bunch of smuggling on to the mainland.

Wikipedia tells me
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon
that they were claimed by France as far back as 1536.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #223
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Havent had any problems running the fridge while traveling. Went through it pretty good replacing control board and the small gas shutoff valve had a leak. Done a few thousand miles with fridge running on propane. This will be our first winter trip where we need more heat than what the chassis system will put out. Ive got a couple options so Im not too worried about it, other than the propane consumption and finding refill spots on the road if needed.

We are gonna do a couple local trips in cold weather before we head west and try to get a good feel for our comfort zone. Should be a great adventure.......famous last words....hehehe. As the Rednecks tombstone reads " CHECK THIS OUT"

Mike
Our propane CH seems to use very little. It's the water heater that makes the levels plummet.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #224
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Not sure if anyone would be interested or not but for anyone wishing for original equipment stuff, Ive got the hose for the central vac system free for the asking. Just give me a PM with your details and cover shipping. Might have a couple of the head attachments also. Just puttin it out there. Id rather not toss it if someone would want it.

Mike