Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #197
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,113
Images: 51
My 310 has GM 82 title, but the Airstream vin is 83. What amazes me is that Airstream decided to make changes to the 310 model sometime in 83, by using the new dash, dog house, battery compartment and the heater outlet panel. Normally you will only see those changes when models change
__________________

__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #198
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,009
The more I learn about the '83 compared to the '82 there were quite a few changes. Many upgrades in my opinion. Dont the '83s also have the slide out battery tray? Do the '83s have the tambor doors on the overhead cabinets?
__________________

__________________
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #199
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,113
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
The more I learn about the '83 compared to the '82 there were quite a few changes. Many upgrades in my opinion. Dont the '83s also have the slide out battery tray? Do the '83s have the tambor doors on the overhead cabinets?
yes they have the slide out battery tray, which I prefer. Tambour in Front and wood doors in the rear bedroom. They just ran out of stuff and started to use the new.
From the original sales brochure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearoptions.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	250430   Click image for larger version

Name:	reartwins.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	782.3 KB
ID:	250431  

__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #200
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,009
On my '82, I have overhead cabinets on both sides in the rear plus the one on the very back. Tambour doors on all. It was originally the rear lounge model but I converted to an east west queen. Had to for sleeping with a funky back. Kids are up and gone also so not too worried about the extra seating. Sure would like to have the wooden overhead cabinets like the 345......
__________________
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #201
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,113
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
On my '82, I have overhead cabinets on both sides in the rear plus the one on the very back. Tambour doors on all. It was originally the rear lounge model but I converted to an east west queen. Had to for sleeping with a funky back. Kids are up and gone also so not too worried about the extra seating. Sure would like to have the wooden overhead cabinets like the 345......
Look at the bright side, Mike. Those solid wood cabinets add quite a few pounds to an already very heavy vehicle. I personally think that they pushed the limit on the weight of the 345's, which results in the engine running too hot. Other than the large storage compartment on the right rear of the 345, the 310 has everything I need, without the extra 2000#.
__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #202
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
I had a 1994 34' LY for several years with close to the same weight as my 345 and the engine always ran nice and cool. There was much more cooling air coming up from right and left of the engine compartment, with the broader, squarer front, and I think that is what made the difference. Has anyone ever modified the classic to have intakes (maybe just under the bumper? or?) for a ram effect channeling air along the sides of the engine?
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #203
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,113
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
I had a 1994 34' LY for several years with close to the same weight as my 345 and the engine always ran nice and cool. There was much more cooling air coming up from right and left of the engine compartment, with the broader, squarer front, and I think that is what made the difference. Has anyone ever modified the classic to have intakes (maybe just under the bumper? or?) for a ram effect channeling air along the sides of the engine?
I may be bias, since every 345 I have owned, seen or driven ran at 210-220.
One factor is your climate. We have to deal with 100+ temperatures for month at a time. Today it was 95. What temp does your 345 run at compared to your LY?
__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #204
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I may be bias, since every 345 I have owned, seen or driven ran at 210-220.
One factor is your climate. We have to deal with 100+ temperatures for month at a time. Today it was 95. What temp does your 345 run at compared to your LY?
Much hotter for sure. We ran the LY along the Columbia Gorge and up through Tri-Cities one trip with temperatures in the 98 to 106 range without a problem, and had other trips in the high 80's and 90's, and I guess the main thing is (since I have little trust in the gauges' accuracy) that the electric fans seldom came on. I have never run the 345 in anywhere near the same temperatures but the fans come on even on cool days, and the gauge stays very high..... whether that is accurate I do not know, but taken all in all, the 345 seems to be hotter running.
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #205
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,113
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Much hotter for sure. We ran the LY along the Columbia Gorge and up through Tri-Cities one trip with temperatures in the 98 to 106 range without a problem, and had other trips in the high 80's and 90's, and I guess the main thing is (since I have little trust in the gauges' accuracy) that the electric fans seldom came on. I have never run the 345 in anywhere near the same temperatures but the fans come on even on cool days, and the gauge stays very high..... whether that is accurate I do not know, but taken all in all, the 345 seems to be hotter running.
Don't mean to Hijack your tread, Mike, this is just interesting stuff that we all have to deal with. I think it's a weight/design issue. My friend Marcus with the 345 in Germany (colder climate) was freaking out over the 220. He did this real involved radiator flush just to see his engine run at 220. Chris here in Austin has the same issue with his 350, 220 even after he had the radiator replaced. I put the electric fans on a switch for him , so he could turn them on anytime, especially when stuck in traffic, just to keep him at 220.
The 345 I owned had the very same issue and i used a laser light to confirm the temp.
My 280 ran at 190 and my current 310 runs at 200 and doesn't even have the electric fans. 2-3000 pounds make a huge difference imho.
__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #206
Rivet Master
 
robert claus's Avatar

 
2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 739
Images: 19
The lack of heat on the passenger side reminds me of our '64 Alfa Romeo sedan, and my DW's comments on one trip. On one chilly fall trip up to Road America, shortly after we got it back in the early 90's, Becky was asking if I was warm enough. Just right, I replied. A few miles later, she questioned if the heater worked, and I said that I was warm enough, so it seemed to be okay. Finally, she said that she was freezing, so something wasn't right! I switched on the one speed electric fan, and, voila!, instant heat to both sides. In the mind of the Italian designer, the driver's comfort was of primary importance, and it was up to the driver to decide the comfort of the passenger.
__________________
No WD, but a great DW!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #207
Rivet Loser
 
Punch's Avatar
 
La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
So Peter, maybe I shouldn't even be concerned, so long as it doesn't boil over. I bought a 1988 Suburban with a 350 in 1990, and it always ran at 220, but was fine, and about the same time had a 1989 Scottsdale with a 350 that also had a normal high gauge temperature. On the other hand a 1990 F250 with a 460 stayed down at 170 or so. If I had not had the LY for several years that, if I remember correctly, was usually around the 200 mark on the gauge, then probably the high gauge temperature of the 345 would not have bothered me. A PO has fitted a manual override switch for the electric fans on the 345, which also made me a little more aware of the issue.

The LY had a much more open feel around the engine, and the 345 is closed in, as I am sure are all the Classics. Whilst I am tempted to strip a bunch of metal out to make for more air flow around the engine, I read on here about people making an inner fender on the passenger side to ensure that air flows past the rear end of the exhaust manifold, so doing the opposite of what I was thinking!

I'm a little bit mystified by this whole air flow and cooling question.
__________________
Bob
1989 345LE
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #208
Rivet Master
 
Waipio Rim's Avatar
 
1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 538
The owner's manual for our '84 310 says that normal operating temperature is 190 to 240. That's what we saw before and after having our radiator cored as PM. I guess is was designed that way?
__________________
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #209
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,113
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
....

The LY had a much more open feel around the engine, and the 345 is closed in, as I am sure are all the Classics. Whilst I am tempted to strip a bunch of metal out to make for more air flow around the engine, I read on here about people making an inner fender on the passenger side to ensure that air flows past the rear end of the exhaust manifold, so doing the opposite of what I was thinking!

I'm a little bit mystified by this whole air flow and cooling question.
I will start a new thread to get others input.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ml#post1697647
__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #210
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,009
I wonder what the average running temp is for these old Isuzu diesels. Mine runs at about 185 and stays right there. You can watch when the thermostat opens when the engine is warming up. It will climb up to 200 then will settle back at the running temp.

It will be interesting to see what the comfort level will be on the road when we take off going west in Dec.. Im assuming we will need to run the coach furnace also while driving. Maybe set at a low temp like 55 degrees. Im also wondering if the alternator/isolator will keep the coach batteries sufficiently charged while driving and running the furnace blower motor. I guess Ill find out.
__________________

__________________
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1982 turbo diesel 310 :: 2013 Airstream turbo diesel 310 mayco Airstream Registry Discussions 1 07-28-2015 12:58 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.