Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2023, 08:24 PM   #2201
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
When you boys are done playing and need to get the job done just call….Attachment 433862

Always pleased and never disappointed to see you chiming in, Bob. I do wonder what would happen, if we connect the dewalt with the 15 AH battery to your red hot snap on. Now Martin, that would be a sight to see ...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #2202
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
Yes in theory! The thought is what counts. But just in case, I gathered up the essentials. That Battery alone should scare the ... out of you

The size of that battery reminds me of an event that occurred in my youth, i.e. many years ago in a galaxy far far away....

One of my first jobs while still in high school was working at a electric motor and power tool repair shop. One day I was tasked with repairing a huge corded (cordless hadn't invented yet) electric drill with a monstrous 3/4" chuck. It was a high torque slow speed drill meant to be used by REAL men

After a little tinkering I got the drill to run again. Before claiming victory, we always had to verify the fixed tool worked under load. So, I promptly chucked up a 1/2" drill bit and proceeded to drill a hole in 1/2" plate.

In case you haven't figured it out by now what happened next, the drill bit got stuck in the hole and before I could release the trigger the drill had me wrapped up in its power cord and sprawled on the ground.

I won't say I haven't made the same mistake again over the last 50+ years but that particular mistake has been few and far between
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #2203
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
The size of that battery reminds me of an event that occurred in my youth, i.e. many years ago in a galaxy far far away....

One of my first jobs while still in high school was working at a electric motor and power tool repair shop. One day I was tasked with repairing a huge corded (cordless hadn't invented yet) electric drill with a monstrous 3/4" chuck. It was a high torque slow speed drill meant to be used by REAL men

After a little tinkering I got the drill to run again. Before claiming victory, we always had to verify the fixed tool worked under load. So, I promptly chucked up a 1/2" drill bit and proceeded to drill a hole in 1/2" plate.

In case you haven't figured it out by now what happened next, the drill bit got stuck in the hole and before I could release the trigger the drill had me wrapped up in its power cord and sprawled on the ground.

I won't say I haven't made the same mistake again over the last 50+ years but that particular mistake has been few and far between

Haha, great visual! Down here in the south its called "On Job Training"
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:58 PM   #2204
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Similar story working with one of my brothers rewiring a nice old house. We were using an old Milwaukee, 1/2”, non-variable speed drill to drill holes in the old hardened floor joists for the wire runs in the basement. The bit hit an imbedded and hidden old nail in the joist and nearly twisted my brothers arm 360°. It was nasty and painful. Many weeks recovering in a cast for my bro. I still have the drill, it still works but I don’t think I’ve used it since.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote