Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440933871.547603.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	246767

Coffee by the lake this morning at Red Hills State Park in southern Illinois.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Very nice! Makes me want to start a thread called Sunday Morning Coffee pics. Ours isn't as scenic but we are still enjoying coffee by the MoHo.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I like it..Sunday Morning Coffee thread
Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Will do next week-end!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #159
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Im looking for some opinions from the crew here on the forum about an upcoming trip we are planning.......
We want to travel from here in central Illinois out to Fort Collins and Denver area for the Christmas/New Years holidays this Dec. We will have electrical hook ups at both places we will be staying, first stay will be at my sons house in Fort Collins and the second half of the trip we will be in Golden at a city run campground with full hookups. We made this trip in April for the Classic Motohome get together and will have two stops on the way there and back.

Looks like temps average in the low 20's at night to 40+ in the day time. Of course its Colorado so the weather is very unpredictable. Snow will also be a consideration of course but only when we are actually on the road traveling. We dont plan on getting up to any higher elevations in the rig while there.

All systems in the 310 are running well, knock on wood, furnace is only a year old and has been used quite a bit over the last year. We also have electric portable heaters to supplement the heat.

So I guess I would like your thoughts about staying in the rig in those types of temperatures. Is it nuts to use the water systems when temps are that low and are there things I should do to prepare the rig for this. Ive read of people adding heat tape to the waste valves to prevent from freezing, adding antifreeze to the waste tanks, etc......

Though Lynn (DW) is still working and will need to get back, her position allows some flexibility in her return date so if we run into bad weather for the trip home we would be able to stay put until it passes.

Do you think this trip is doable without too much hassle and worry about freezing pipes n such. I do have onboard air so I can winterize if a bad cold front were to catch us off guard.

Any thoughts? (Am I worrying about nothing here?)

Thanks for any input,

Mike
Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mike,

I lived in a 20' Coachmen motorhome for close to a year and then upgraded to a 27' Winnebago for another year and a half while living in near Little Rock Arkansas. Winter temps would get down in the low twentys for a few weeks and then hover in the high 30s during the day and low 30s to high 20s at night. I had the black water hose connected all the time with the valve closed until I was ready to dump. I left the grey water tank valve open and just let the water drain out of the tank as fast as it went into the tank.

I never had issues with the water lines inside the motorhomes freeze. I did leave a small electric heater sitting in the middle of the floor on a steel cookie pan and left it on low when I was at work during the day. I never stayed in the motorhomes on weekends and I never left heat on when I was away on weekends.

I think if the temps had gotten down in the single digits frequently I'm guessing I might have had problems. Maybe I got lucky in that I never had problems but I'm happy to say I didn't

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well thats good to hear Brad. Im thinking we will be ok and was just wondering if there is something Im not thinking of. We've never spent that much time in the rig during that time of year. Sometimes something real obvious to others might reach up and bite me in the rear because I didnt think of it. The way I see it, the design of the water system pretty much protects everything but the waste valves n tanks. Thanks for sharing some personal experience, and reassurance.

Mike
Old 09-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #162
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
To keep fresh water flowing without the worry of wondering if your electrical heater coils are working is to add a cup or two of vodka to your fresh water tank. It's odourless, tasteless and environmentally and human friendly antifreeze.

I don't know what the level of antigel is in diesel around your area but they will have it in the colder areas, so make sure you use a fuel conditioner with some antigel if you have dieseled up in a warm climate and then travelling to a colder climate.

Have a great trip and stay away from the white stuff.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks for the advice Tony. I hadnt thought about an additive to the fuel. One of my brothers is an over the road truck driver, Ill ask him what he uses in this area.

Electric heater coils? What electric heater coils, are you pulling my leg here? (Again? )
Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Had our first experience camping during a torrential rain storm in the 310 over the weekend. Crazy thunder n lightning. It was just so COOOOOL. A bit loud from the downpour but that was really really neat. How cozy it is in the middle of the woods during a storm like that, and youre all comfy inside watching through all the great window views in the Airstream. Just beautiful. I was awakened in the middle of the night by a huge clap of thunder n lightning immediately followed by 40 pounds of DOG on my head. (Hes not allowed on the bed and he minds that very well, so it must have scared the heck out of him. He got to spend the rest of the night snuggled in at our feet). We were camped at Kickapoo State Park in central Illinois. Great hidden gem of a campground not too far off I74 near Danville Il.. Highly recommend the campground if traveling along this route.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1442845757.937448.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	248630. Had some company on our morning hike.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1442845878.218097.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	248631. I believe this is the Vermillion river that passes through the park and eventually flows into the Wabash.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1442845958.442373.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	248632. One pooped pup on the ride home.

No leaks detected during the storm, got 1 1/2" to 2" of rain overnight. If it leaked it was well hidden. Knock on wood.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #165
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
As we discussed during the May snow storm, the weather can vary extremely. New Years could be anywhere from 75 degrees to 20 below actual temp. Both mine have the tanks in insulated housings with heat ducts running into them. I'd just install some heat tape in any areas you think might be exposed and you will probably never have to use it. Keep a couple gallons of antifreeze handy. I've got a hose I hook directly to the pump. I can winterize it in 5 minutes.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Kota. Appreciate the first hand advice. I know the weather is a bit of a crap shoot out there. Im gonna invest in some heat tape, carry some antifreeze and hope for the best. I need to get a air regulator for my on board quick connect also so I can blow out the lines in a hurry if I need to. Im guessing, though have no experience, that keeping some antifreeze in the waste tanks should be enough to keep from freezing?? Cant think of why that wouldnt work. Its my understanding that the dump valves are what needs protected the most, so antifreeze in the tanks should work.......hopefully. Or maybe I should take a look at the Farmers Almanac first thing .

Mike
Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #167
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Home Depot and Lowe's carry aluminum backed stick on foam insulated duct wrap. It about a foot wide. You can do a very professional looking job protecting the waste pipes. I'd put it on over heat tape for a cool winter camping mod.

I just leave the drains open on my water tank and haven't had any freezing problems. The water heater on bypass and the drain plug out also. Then I just pump antifreeze until it flows out all the forest, toilet, and shower. That protects the traps also.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Found a nice small set of LED aux/fog lights on Amazon for half price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Surprising quality for the price, pretty heavy aluminum body. They seem quite bright but wont know until we hit the road tonight. I wanted them mainly for navigating park roads when pulling in after dark and trying to find the campground....boy some state parks have really poor signage. They mount well using the existing holes (tapped) from the original lights. On my 310 these lights are switched at the bank of toggles on the left side of the dash, the one marked AUX. That switch is fed from the headlight switch and controls a relay above the radiator under the hood. The always hot side of the relay has an inline glass fuse. The lights are pretty small and dont look like youre about to go 4wheeling.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1443196852.970922.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	248919

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1443196889.065604.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	248920

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1443196911.652734.jpg