Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #1

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
portage , Michigan
Low Coolant Sensor

I have a 1987 345 and the low coolant light is not connected. as resut the light on the dash comes on intermittently Can some send me a picture of their coolant over flow bottle plumbed and wired correctly?

Thanks Mustangmatt

Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
RE: LOW COOLANT SENSOR

We have a 1988 AS 290 with a 454 Chev engine. The chassis was manufactured in 1987, so it should be the same as yours.

The overflow bottle is simply a bottle mounted on the left hand side as you are facing the front of the coach that has a "full cold" and a "full hot' mark on the front side with an inlet tube that comes from the radiator cap flange to the bottle and a tube that dumps overboard if the bottle is too full. There is NOT any sensor or wiring to this system.

I am guessing that the sensor for low coolant is probabl mounted in the radiator in an almost impossible place to get to!!!

Good luck, BOB

Old 07-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
We have a 1990 345LE w/454 and as Bob mentioned in post #2 our radiator coolant overflow bottle isn't wired either. Is there a chance you are looking at the bottle for the windshield washer fluid? (it does look similar to an overflow bottle) On ours this bottle is located behind the 'hood' on the right side as you're facing the coach. This bottle has two posts w/one wire on each post at the bottom of bottle so when washer fluid gets low an indicator light on the dash is illuminated. Just a guess but maybe the intermittent indication you're getting is a result of low fluid level sloshing around bottom of bottle? Seems I've also read elsewhere here that poor grounds in dash circuit can have that effect too.
Just re-read your post and realized you said coolant light is not connected. Are you referring to the wires at the bottom of bottle not being attached to posts?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #4

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
portage , Michigan
345bill,

Thank you for the reply my isssue is not the washer fluid bottle. That is on the driver side of the coach. I have an issue with it as well but I really want to correct the coolant issue first.

Mustangmatt
Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Gentleman I have a 1988 325... both the overflo and the wiper tank have sensors, Your low coolant lite in overflo is either low coolant or the two stainless posts in the tank could be corroaded and need to be cleaned!! Mine was cracked and so had to get one from Andy at Inland RV , who stocks them and sent it out promptly I had to use my own sensors , and is an easy fix! Jonathan
Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
[quote=Mustangmatt;720643]345bill,

Thank you for the reply my isssue is not the washer fluid bottle. That is on the driver side of the coach. I have an issue with it as well but I really want to correct the coolant issue first.

Mustangmatt-

I understand that. What I'm learning here on the forums is sometimes the exact year/model MH will have electrical items unique to itself. Probably depends on options when it was built new. Anyway, I didn't want to steer you in wrong direction just letting you know how my MH is set-up. Let us know what you come up with on the coolant issue.