Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Leveling jacks

I have a 1982 Excella 28 with the Isuzu diesel. A member has an HWH set up for sale and I'm trying to find out if his system will fit on my coach. Can anybody tell me where the jacks are mounted on a 28' and what kind of jacks are used? Pictures would be great. I realize the control system and pump can be set up easily but I'm concerned about the jacks themselves.

Thanks, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Hi, Dan - we tried that on our '82 and finally gave up. AS manufactured a big frame-like thing to go under the coach just in front of the rear wheels. The jacks mounted to that and the whole mess was welded to the frame before the body was put on. Then the jack mfg said NO to mounting the rear jacks in front of the rear wheels. Seems jacks should go behind the rear wheels and as close to the front wheels as possible. Good luck, anyway. - Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Jamie do you actually have a mount welded to the frame ahead of the rear axle? I put jack stands there to work under the coach once and the frame flexed so much the door wouldn't close.

I have been looking at the HWH site and there are a couple of mounts (these are the flip up jacks) that go behind the rear axle. My concern is the fuel tank and mount hang down about a foot below the frame rails and it gets pretty tight to fit the jack. I don't know if the gas unit has the same tank as the diesel.

I was hoping to see what others have done so I can get it right the first time rather than by trial and error.

Thanks, Dan
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
Not sure if this is what you need but let me know

if I can take different pictures in daylight. It's close to sunset now and without a flash this is the best I can do. I am not sure what you need pictures of, so I put down the jacks and this is what it looks like underneath in the rear. I'm also not sure if ours are as down as they should be--they look a little cockeyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	june282009 034.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	83067   Click image for larger version

Name:	june282009 036.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	83068  

Name:	june282009 037.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	83069  
"A Silver Lining" or Silvie for short
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Hi, Dan - we tried that on our '82 and finally gave up. AS manufactured a big frame-like thing to go under the coach just in front of the rear wheels. The jacks mounted to that and the whole mess was welded to the frame before the body was put on. Then the jack mfg said NO to mounting the rear jacks in front of the rear wheels. Seems jacks should go behind the rear wheels and as close to the front wheels as possible. Good luck, anyway. - Jamie
Jamie,

I'm a little confused here. Our 84 310 has the rear jacks located in front of the rear axle. I don't know if Airstream installed the leveling system or if some previous owner did.

I do know we can get the chassis twisted enough with the jacks down that the door doesn't open but its not hard to get the coach leveled with them and still have the door function just fine.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Swanky, If I understand your pictures it looks like the jacks are mounted to the rear of the fuel tank. HWH is indicating the jacks should be at or near the rear spring hanger. With the air suspension there is no rear spring hanger but if there was it would be forward of the fuel tank. Do you know the brand of you jacks?

It seems what I am seeing is that the jacks are mounted all over the rear of the chassis. Maybe there is no right or wrong just whatever the guy who mounted them thought was easiest.

Thanks for the help, Dan
Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I'm sorry, I have no idea whatsoever.

I'll get back under there tomorrow and see what I can see and take some more and maybe better photos. I can also tell you what the switch box says in case that tells anything. I am 100% blonde on this one. Sorry.
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Jamie do you actually have a mount welded to the frame ahead of the rear axle? I put jack stands there to work under the coach once and the frame flexed so much the door wouldn't close.

I have been looking at the HWH site and there are a couple of mounts (these are the flip up jacks) that go behind the rear axle. My concern is the fuel tank and mount hang down about a foot below the frame rails and it gets pretty tight to fit the jack. I don't know if the gas unit has the same tank as the diesel.
Yes, there is a welded boxy frame set just in front of the rear wheels with the jacks mounted to it. That was an AS "invention" to reduce the body flexing problem. The HWH solution you mention is the correct way, but hard to do on an Airstream classic coach.
- Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Not meaning to hijack this thread but your Smart42 looks like a great Toad for your coach.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Zoomin I can't speak for others about a hijack but I love smart cars and will chat about them anytime. I bought my first smart in April 06 and loved it so much I bought a second smart in April 07. They are great little cars and they make great toads. you don't even know it's back there.

Cheers, Dan
Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Hey there Dan, I hope someone on this Forum can help you with your original question. That aside, I have more fun in my Smart than any of my other vehicles, Corvette included. We can't be bashful in those Smart42's now can we? Folks love to come over and talk about ours. What a hoot. Good luck with your coach mods. Lots of 'smart' folks on this Forum and most helpful as well.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yes behind fuel tank

there is a metal crossbar that has been attached to what look like I beams that run from front to back on either side inside the wheels. Does that make sense? Looks like an addition to me. In all the commotion I have forgotten the name on the inside contoller. Will check tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
jacks

Yes swanky that makes sense that they added a cross member to the fore and aft frame rails to support the jacks. I'm surprised that they are mounted so far to the back or the coach. It looks like they have worked for many years so I guess it must be alright.

Where is your controller mounted? Is it along side the drivers seat, on the floor or up under the dash. I guess that it another decision I will have to make.

Thanks for looking, Dan
Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Zoomin I can't speak for others about a hijack but I love smart cars and will chat about them anytime. I bought my first smart in April 06 and loved it so much I bought a second smart in April 07. They are great little cars and they make great toads. you don't even know it's back there.

Cheers, Dan
OT but I'd like to know if you tow your smart 4 down? Who makes a base plate for them?

What kind of mileage do you get in the smart?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Here in the hills of SW VA, I'm getting 38-40mpg. Not as good as the Prius that uses regular gas but much more of a fun factor.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I tow my smart 4 wheels down. My smarts are early grey market cars and I built my own tow bar and attachments.

The Penske import smarts sold currently can be towed with either a Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plate. They get low to mid 40s mpg depending how spirited your driving style. They tow great and more importantly they are an absolute ball to drive.

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
My levelling jacks controller box

Here is a photo that I finally remembered to take for you. It is located to the left of the steering wheel, just under the dash. Does not work at the moment and our jacks are wired up. The green power light was on but nothing worked--we had to manually get them loose to tie them up out of the way to get home to Detroit. The mobile RV guy is coming out tomorrow but he warned me it might take a long time to find the issue. I think that's code for "this is gonna cost you."
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SleepingBearDunes 093.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	83609   Click image for larger version

Name:	SleepingBearDunes 094.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	83610