Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Looks like we have 3 ways to skin this cat now.

See, all it takes is a little tinkering.

I'm wondering how these bare curcuit boards hold up to the elements?

Howie, is there a protective layer on the board? I don't know about the rest of the country, but we in the PNW have about 9 months of drizzle, and moisture will get in there, no matter what you do.

Those water-proof boat trailer lights are obviously water tight, but was that a function of the lens and housing?

I don't really know how these LED circuit boards hold up...Well, the AS factory solution is a bare board isn't it? But maybe the newer lens/fixture has better protection to the elements?

Good job anyway gents. I guess we'll be the guinea pigs for this long term test. And if they short out with rust, we'll just figure out how to protect them on the new set.

-K
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The boards may have a light clear coat on them, not sure. I did seal the board into the can by taping over the old light fixture hole, sealing the wires as they came through with RTV, and then overcovering that with fiberglass held in place with contact cenment. I have not sealed the lens to the can yet as i am not sure I am done experimenting. Once satisfied I will seal the lens to the can with RTV.

What I am looking for now is a sequencer to run three stop lights. I am going to replace the backup light lens with a tail light lens and make a third tail light and sequence them when turning. If I find what I want it will sequence the stop lights when first turned on and sequence the turn signals each time the flasher turns on. That may be a tricky circuit but I hold someone has made it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Benbrook , Texas
Sequential turn signals

The sequential turn signal is a cool idea. Ford put them on both the Mercury Cougar and the Thunderbird in 1967 and 68. OH BOY another trip to the junk yard!
Whipsas270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #44
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I was thinking about replacing the backup light with an amber lens and making it my directional. Seems like two marker/brake lights and one amber turn would be more visible. Since the MoHo has big backup spots on it lower down,

BTW - I gto this idea sitting behind a school bus. Hard to miss those big amber led signals
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
LED lens need changing

I tested the new LEDs tonight and found the Airstream lens are much to dark and have a lens pattern that focuses the light from a point source. This severly limits the effectiveness when compared to the as purchased LED fixture. It is clear that I will have to find a way to install the lens that came with the LEDs to take advantage of the LEDs. My first thought was to cut the center out of the Airstream lens and insert the lens that came with the LED. The problem there will be the limited amount of material at the edge of the Airstream lens after cutting.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
LED Tail Light

I am trying to replace the tail lights on my 72 ambassador and have found it very hard to find a replacement for the 4" round. The entire light needs to be replaced because it has rusted beyond help So I have been looking at all my options and was wondering if anyone has used these led lights? http://www.florawrecker.com/cgi-bin/...y_Code=LEDSTOP I think I may be able to reuse the lamp housing if I do some work on them but I was wonderong if anyone has used these lights in the original housing?

Did that make any sense??
higgy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #47
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol
I'm wondering how these bare curcuit boards hold up to the elements?
Howie, is there a protective layer on the board? I don't know about the rest of the country, but we in the PNW have about 9 months of drizzle, and moisture will get in there, no matter what you do.
Those water-proof boat trailer lights are obviously water tight, but was that a function of the lens and housing?
And if they short out with rust, we'll just figure out how to protect them on the new set.
-K
The Blazer Boat Trailer Lights LEDs are set in clear Epoxy front and back. The case and lens are not that water proof. I haven't wet them down to see, but I think they are pretty safe from rust or corrosion.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgy116
I am trying to replace the tail lights on my 72 ambassador and have found it very hard to find a replacement for the 4" round. The entire light needs to be replaced because it has rusted beyond help So I have been looking at all my options and was wondering if anyone has used these led lights? http://www.florawrecker.com/cgi-bin/...y_Code=LEDSTOP I think I may be able to reuse the lamp housing if I do some work on them but I was wonderong if anyone has used these lights in the original housing?

Did that make any sense??

We have the correct LED tail lights for your year Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
LED tail light update

As I mentioned last week the original tail light lenses were too dark to be effective with the LED lights.
I took the original Airstream lenses and cut the centers out to accept the round lenses that came with the LEds. Once cut to size I glued the new lenses into the old and sealed the lens to the fixture with RTV. The complested fixtures have been mounted and the next project is to convert the backup light to a third tail/brake light and sequence the three lights.
I will most likely use Web's STS-1 generic ssequencer.
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light lens.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	22931  

Old 07-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to 85/345
HowieE,
If what you tried doesn't work you might try making your own with this stuff http://www.alumilite.com/howto.cfm?ID=24. Not sure how expensive it is or how well it works. Keep us posted on your progress.
85/345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Well I think the project is done. I have mounted a third tail/stop light in the center position and installed a sequencer. Now when I hit the brakes the lights sequence from center out and remain on as long as the brakes are on. When either directional is turned on the lights will sequence from center out each time the flasher closes.

Sorry I can’t give a picture of the sequence but at least you can see all 3 lights late.

Now when I turn on a directional those BMWs that attempt to pass before I come out may think twice. Doesn’t matter if I see a BMW behind me I start the pull out before I turn on the directional anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 tail lights.JPG
Views:	821
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	23574  

Old 07-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Looking in GREAT Howie!

Sorry! have been gone on family health issues for about a month so I admit to possibly missing a few LED somethings, or 3.....

Just to catch me up, Howie..... The lights you used, where from?? Part #? Supplier???

The install looks great! Details with photos?

Is there a part # for the sequencer you used, as I have the same light/ Lens fixture set up? Is there any special wiring required? Anything out of the ordinary????? Walk us thru it....

This looks like a possible solution for the LED adapation that many are thinking about..... in the early to mid nineties TT.... Update or die...

Any and all additonal info (with PHOTOS!!!!) will be appreciated by all!

Thanks again for your info. Post with answers!!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #53
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
Hello. I have a 1982 28' diesel AS MH. I am also interested in converting to the LED tail/brake/turn lights. In this discussion the pop in bulb is discussed but only in the context of a 'straight' type replacement. I noticed Superbright now has 30LED turn/brake led conversions with a 45 degree angle which should address the directional light issue. Has anyone tried these type bulb replacement, or is it just better to use the flat board style? ANY
mcplaidpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcplaidpiper View Post
Hello. I have a 1982 28' diesel AS MH. I am also interested in converting to the LED tail/brake/turn lights. In this discussion the pop in bulb is discussed but only in the context of a 'straight' type replacement. I noticed Superbright now has 30LED turn/brake led conversions with a 45 degree angle which should address the directional light issue. Has anyone tried these type bulb replacement, or is it just better to use the flat board style? ANY
Please do not attempt to use any Bulb Replacement type LEDs. All tail lights are designed with a given light source and a lens that is designed to maximize that source. Any change in the placement of the light source will reduce the effect of the lens. If you question my comment think of the work that goes into the construction of a lamp and lens assembly at a light house.

If you make a change due it with a complete assembly of light source and lens.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
HowieE,
Although you have a great point, I think with reasonable judgement, a guy could make LED replacement bulbs work. If you look at the lens and reflector of my rig, there's obviously not too much science and research that went into the design. The reflector, if you can call it that, is flat on the back and barley rounded on the sides. Comparing the fixture on my airstream to that of a lighthouse is, at the least, a stretch.
Some of the applications that I've seen used on Airstreams drastically improved the brightness, distribution, and focus of the LEDs.
I would agree that one could get into trouble by just replacing the bulbs without any sensibility to go along, but at the same time, a blanket warning against their use is a little too conservative. (for me)
I think someone else tried to use the 90 deg. bulbs only to find out that they ended up pointing the wrong way.

I'm still looking for a cheap alternative for interior lights. I haven't counted, but I must have 30-40 interior bulbs. I'm not going to spend $800 replacing them all. I'm sure there will be some cheap alternatives that come to the market soon enough.

-Kevin
Old 04-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
I have replaced 18 of the 24 overhead bulbs with 1156 LED bulbs. Go to ebay and put in 1156 LED bulbs and you will get plenty of hits for 27 LED bulbs with 5050 segments. They are the brightest. They give the impression of florescent fixtures. When I get time the last six will be replaced as well. Had them all on last night for two hours, could feel no heat from them at all.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote