Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member
1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Mine are the longer fluorescent type lights, just push in the sides and they snapp out.

gloran - 1993 LY MH 33' - Banks System, Steer Safe, IPD front stabilizer, Super Steer - Bell Cranks, Motion Control, Coil
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Hello. I'm wondering hoe to take those plastic covers off the ceiling lights. I would like to clean the bugs out of mine but haven't tried to remove yet...I don't want to break them!
As mentioned they do clip out, BUT .... Do warm up the panels first. If you attempt to snap out the covers cold they could chip.. Leave the lights on high for a few minutes first.

Dorset UK

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Kernersville , North Carolina
switch 500063

Originally Posted by SnoSheriff View Post
Did you end up doing this conversion? I have similar light fixture. My light switch needs to be replaced and I may start my LED light conversion.
When it comes to repairing this light and replacing the bulbs with LEDs a fellow Airforums member pointed out something in an earlier post. The power draw is so low when using LEDs that you can use the smaller of those 2 rotary switches when replacing that switch. Airstream stocks two of these rotary switches for older units. The larger one, 510195 for this large 18x18 light, which has 6 bulbs (pictured below), and the smaller one, 500063 which is for the bathrooms, kitchens etc which has 3 bulbs. The larger one needs a knob and if you don't have a knob they are hard to find. Hard to find and work well. The smaller switch will now work in the 18x18 inch light IF YOUR CONVERTING TO LEDS. The smaller switch has its own knob. Below is a picture of that light with-out the knob.

The smaller switch 500063 with it's own knob.

The six 1141 bulbs would even challenge the larger switch with the larger power draw.
Dan Brown
High Point NC
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Lake Tapps , Washington
Removing the lenses

Be very careful! The shorter ones are harder to remove since they flex less. To take these pictures, I slightly damaged one corner. I am not sure if replacements are available.

I flexed them in the middle where it is easier to get a grip, then gradually eased the edges out. I took out the easiest most cooperative corner first, then after that end was free, a slight twist or angle change allowed the other end to release or pull out. They may be more brittle with age (Aren't we all?). If new ones are available, they may be easier to work with.

In the unlikely event that I will have to remove them in the future, I used spade connectors (disconnectors?) at the wire ends so I could do the work, glue, tape, and measure, in a comfortable area like my work bench or kitchen table without having to cut and resolder wires.

Best of luck! This will really extend your dry camping battery life!
grandparippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #75
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Lite eating

Added some LEDs today...not to save power, mostly to add light in a unique way.
These are tied into the light switch for the stove top area.
One row inside the storage cabinet above microwave...
and one strip just above oven to light up controls.
These are the stick on thype, with a pair of LEDs every 4"

For some reason both these areas are dark and without lighting available.

Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion.
Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #76
Rivet Master
2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
LED conversion completed!

We just completed our conversion from halogen lights to LEDs today in our 27' FB Ocean Breeze (boy... there are a lot of lights in this thing ). We leave on our next trip on June 3rd for Deer Creek Campground at Huntington Lake in the High Sierras. There is no power at any of the sites, and while we have a Honda 3K generator, our goal is to see how long we can go before we need to fire up the noise maker. We will report back on how it goes when we return.
Scott, Becky & Heidi (our standard poodle and travel companion)
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member
1984 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
charleton , Illinois
Excellent 8th AF tire cover. I had some nose art decals created for my sovereign, just waiting for warm weather to apply them.

jerry d is offline   Reply With Quote