Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
bkahler I believe your 310 is the same as my 345 where there is one bulb that has two circuits for lights and the other for brakes/turn signal can you clarify what you used for that bulb, resistor, non-resister or adding a resistor to each bulb.
Gunter,

The 310 bulbs were changed to LED back in 2007 and I don't remember where they came from. I've not dealt with resistor, non-resistor type bulbs and not sure why there is an issue. The brake/turn light bulbs were probably 1157 type bulbs originally and the tail light bulbs were probably 1156 bulbs.

I would think as long as the LEDs you buy are designed to replace 1157 or 1156 bulbs then there should be no issue other than potential cruise control problems. The reason there is a problem with cruise controls is the cruise control manufacturers in their design took advantage of how the brake light circuit works when used with incandescent (1157) bulbs. With 1157 bulbs there is a resistance to ground where the cruise control is connected and with LEDs there is a different (probably high) resistance to ground. The cruise control used that drop in resistance to know when the brake pedal was being pushed. With LEDs that signal value has changed so the cruise control doesn't know when the pedal is pushed.

That's why I went to the relay method because I can now change to any bulb I want and not worry about the cruise control working or not working.

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #16
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
If I am understanding correctly the cruise control would actuate but when you press the brake pedal to disconnect the cruise control the cruise control would not recognize this and you would have to manually shut off the cruise control to get the motorhome to slow down.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
If I am understanding correctly the cruise control would actuate but when you press the brake pedal to disconnect the cruise control the cruise control would not recognize this and you would have to manually shut off the cruise control to get the motorhome to slow down.
I believe it's pretty much just the opposite effect. When the brake pedal is NOT being pushed there is little or no resistance to ground through the incandescent brake light bulb so the cruise control see's this as a ground and knows the brake pedal is not being pushed. With LED lights there is no filament and the resistance across the LED is higher (compared to an incandescent bulb) so the cruise control doesn't see the ground signal that it needs to activate the cruise mode. In effect the cruise control thinks the brake pedal is always being pushed.

I got this information from an electrical engineer I work with who explained the differences between how LED lights and incandescent lights work in a brake circuit.

Knowing that the cruise control module is looking for a ground signal when the cruise is activated and does not see that ground signal when LEDs are used explains why the cruise controls don't work properly. At least to me anyway!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Gunner the turning of LEDs 180 degrees was for any bulb that is a universal fit. You are correct, the turn signals only fit one way. So if you swap out the bulbs in your clearance lights for the LED equivalent, you will want to turn the lights on and see how many are in the right way.