Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Kool-O-Matic

I keep finding more and more treasures in the motorhome. PO had stated the the Kool-O-Matic did not work. Fiddled with a few wires and such, and got it running today.
Trying to figure out a few things though, so if anyone has any knowledge on this, I would appreciate all of your input.
Is the Kool-O-Matic 12V or 120V? I've got a grill that looks like it fits in the hole in the ceiling, as well as a flat plastic panel to cover it all up with, but can't seem to get both up at same time!
Again, anyone with knowledge of this, I would appreciate any help you can be.
Had thought with it not working, I would get a MaxAir or Fantastic Vent fan to replace it with, but once this thing gets going, it sure can move some air around.
Thanks, Derek

Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Derek,

Michael usually handles all ďmechanicalĒ stuff, in the moho, so Iíll try not to sound too dumb..... Is a Kool-O-Matic that original vent in the ceiling, between the dinette & the sink, with controls on the refer wall?

If so, I think itís 12v. Iím pretty sure that they used the original wiring to put in the Fantastic Vent.

Tracy

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Tracy,
Yes my Kool-O-Matic is located in same location. Glad to know that it is 12V, that way when this doesn't work any longer, I can replace with MaxAir or Fantastic Vent. Thanks, Derek

PS I actually found the 'Owners Manual' for my moho. There is a one page devoted to the Kool-O-Matic in the manual, and then there is just over a half page write up. Been reading through the WanderLodge forum, and found quite a bit about the Kool-O-Matic's there. Great to have, as long as it works, lol
Old 09-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Hey Derek....
The angle of your learning curve is about Vertical now.... Agreed?
Guess what... I probably have more issues and problems to fix than you, but I am also 18 months ahead of you...
Guess what?
Mine is still straight up!
LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Hey Derek....
The angle of your learning curve is about Vertical now.... Agreed?
Guess what... I probably have more issues and problems to fix than you, but I am also 18 months ahead of you...
Guess what?
Mine is still straight up!
LOL
Gee, thanks Steve for the 'uplifting' moment in making me realize that I'll never be able to catch up to you! lol.
Heading to the Home Depot after work today, to find the Reflectix for the windows. Jeez, now that this 'beast' is sitting in direct sunlight, it can get HOT in there quick.
Oh, found a new one, generator won't start. Won't even turn over. Carb cleaner first, then we'll see what I can get myself into!
Thanks, Derek
Old 09-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
LOL, Glad to help ya buddy!
The reality is I bet you will catch me up pretty quick!
Mmm... the genset starts off the Motor battery.... do you have that connected?

Oh, BTW, make sure you get the 48" x 50' roll... I used every bit of mine!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
LOL, Glad to help ya buddy!
The reality is I bet you will catch me up pretty quick!
Mmm... the genset starts off the Motor battery.... do you have that connected?

Oh, BTW, make sure you get the 48" x 50' roll... I used every bit of mine!
Worked 'over' today, so no Home Depot run. Be sure to do it tomorrow, as Wednesday is day off this week. Want to get at least the front windows covered with Reflectix, and since I'll be there, look for a clearcoat stripper, since Vintage Trailer Supply is out of Removall 220. Done some checking online, and it looks like Ceramiflex is best option for roof paint. Got my work cut out for me on my day off this week!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
FYI:
I used white selfsticky 3/4'" Velcro to hold the Reflectix tight in some places, so get a roll...
Remember, this Reflectix is stiff across the roll and flexy along, so pic you "Grain" Direction to suit..

Here are my measurements in Inches for the Reflectix sheets...
Check yours as it maybe different!

Front Screen 140x38... start with the whole 48" tall sheet, Grain up and down will hold itself in position.
As you roll around the sides, the top and bottom cut line raises up. it ends up in a "Smile shaped" piece.
This is the PITA piece... get some help, as you need to hold it and mark it too! I decided to make it one piece and slit down from the top and up from bottom so that my center mounted rear view mirror and useless compass hold it up. The less you "Crumple up the end of the top and bottom, the stiffer it will stay.
Pictures are better than my words!

Front side screens 40Bottom x 24Top x 29 tall

Side windows 30 x 63
I do not have a dinette window on roadside like yours.

Kitchen 33 x 27
Bathroom/Toilet 33 x 27
This piece made a huge impact, as there is no A/C vent in there, and I really noticed a huge difference in before and after... also because of the perfect fit here, its so dark in there I have to put the light on!

Bedroom side windows 33 x 33
My rear bedroom window does not wrap around.

Roof vents are 16 x 16

If it was a 50' roll I had, and I cant remember, I was short, and I have less glass than you. Even piecing together offcuts, I was short by maybe 5'.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
FYI:
I used white selfsticky 3/4'" Velcro to hold the Reflectix tight in some places, so get a roll...
Remember, this Reflectix is stiff across the roll and flexy along, so pic you "Grain" Direction to suit..

Here are my measurements in Inches for the Reflectix sheets...
Check yours as it maybe different!

Front Screen 140x38... start with the whole 48" tall sheet, Grain up and down will hold itself in position.
As you roll around the sides, the top and bottom cut line raises up. it ends up in a "Smile shaped" piece.
This is the PITA piece... get some help, as you need to hold it and mark it too! I decided to make it one piece and slit down from the top and up from bottom so that my center mounted rear view mirror and useless compass hold it up. The less you "Crumple up the end of the top and bottom, the stiffer it will stay.
Pictures are better than my words!

Front side screens 40Bottom x 24Top x 29 tall

Side windows 30 x 63
I do not have a dinette window on roadside like yours.

Kitchen 33 x 27
Bathroom/Toilet 33 x 27
This piece made a huge impact, as there is no A/C vent in there, and I really noticed a huge difference in before and after... also because of the perfect fit here, its so dark in there I have to put the light on!

Bedroom side windows 33 x 33
My rear bedroom window does not wrap around.

Roof vents are 16 x 16

If it was a 50' roll I had, and I cant remember, I was short, and I have less glass than you. Even piecing together offcuts, I was short by maybe 5'.
Hi Steve, guess I'll pick up 2 rolls of the 48 inch Reflectix tomorrow. Forgot about the 'smile' in the front window. If this keeps the Airstream cooler, so much the better! Oh, the Kool-O-Matic, WAS NOT running when I got home late this evening. Guessing that the motor is toast. Next stop, NAPA auto parts!
Thanks, Derek
Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Gee, thanks Steve for the 'uplifting' moment in making me realize that I'll never be able to catch up to you! lol.
Heading to the Home Depot after work today, to find the Reflectix for the windows. Jeez, now that this 'beast' is sitting in direct sunlight, it can get HOT in there quick.
Oh, found a new one, generator won't start. Won't even turn over. Carb cleaner first, then we'll see what I can get myself into!
Thanks, Derek
Derek,
If the gen won't even turn over, I don't think it's the carb...if you have an Onan, there are two circuit breakers located on the stern side(right side as you face the gen)...can't really see them, but easily found by feeling...I tried several things when that happened to me, gave up, and took it in...the guy reached back there, reset the breakers, and didn't charge me as he knew he was gonna get plenty of miles relating the story to his friends...mike
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
As I said before, on my M/H, the genset starts off the Motor battery, so if it is dead....
Good info Mike, and for the record, in my recent Genset work, look what I found hidden on the top plate, inboard and rearward of my Kohler....
I never knew...
Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Key,
Our genset also starts off the chassis battery...you can actually use the jump switch in the glovebox to start the engine or genset...I have opted to start the genset, plug in the portable batt charger into the outside outlet, and charge the chassis battery...good thing I'm not in a hurry!!! I have had to do this a few times on the side of the road, but believe I have patched the problems...I have always wondered why roadside DIYs require rain...
Old 09-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Derek,
If the gen won't even turn over, I don't think it's the carb...if you have an Onan, there are two circuit breakers located on the stern side(right side as you face the gen)...can't really see them, but easily found by feeling...I tried several things when that happened to me, gave up, and took it in...the guy reached back there, reset the breakers, and didn't charge me as he knew he was gonna get plenty of miles relating the story to his friends...mike
My gen went out on me when traveling. I couldn't figure it out till I got to campground. I pulled out the fuse from the holder and there it was a bad fuse. the top of fuse fell off. looked fine when I wan just pulling it out when it was in the holder. Look for the glass fuse.change it out anyway even if it looks fine.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Let me get this thread started back up again. Anyone ever removed Kool-O-Matic roof fan? Jeez, mine has about 1 1/2 inches of goop around all four sides. I have the Fantastic Fan to replace Kool-O-Matic with, so want that all complete before I get white reflective roofing paint done..
Thanks, Derek