Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Can I assume his comment is based on the length of the front section of the drive shaft? If so what is the reason the drive shaft can not just be shortened and the brake relocated rearward? If the front section is already short consider relocating the center cross member rearward and shortening the rear shaft section. As long as you can stay within the inclination angle limits of the U joints there shouldn't be a problem.

If you complete the installation get back to me. The 700r4 trans is well suited to the addition of a BD Torque Loc that will give you 7 gears forward something that is nice for the sweet spot of the 6.2

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 AM   #114
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
1982 31' Airstream310
Moccas , herefordshire
more torque

Thanks for the advice where is the best place to get a Bd torque converter and thanks again for your help

Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
BD has distributors across the country I would go directly to BD in Abbottsford BC.

There is one caution I must advise you of. The Torque Loc was designed for the pre 1996 transmissions and will set an 0742 code if used on later years in the Auto Mode. This does not preclude you from using it in the Manual Mode.

The problem with the code happens when you decelerate and accelerate up through about 50 mph. As the trans shifts from 3rd the OD the code is set and the trans goes into limp mode with hard shifting until the engine is shut down for 30 seconds or so.

Don't let this dissway you. Once I figured out the poblem the Torque Loc was the single best addition I ever put on my truck. Pulling a 9+% grade in second gear with the converter locked and the trans temperature remaining at 160 degrees is great.

There may be other converter locking system at less cost than the BD is all you are looking for is converter lock up. However mine was used with a BD Exhaust Brake. This kept the converter locked on deceleration down to 35 mph thus giving full advantage to the exhaust brake.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #116

1981 28' Airstream 280
SAN DIEGO , California
Greg,
I'm in the process of swapping to a 1993 Cummins. I'm having trouble with room for the turbo. In the pictures it looks like the turbo mounts going streight up, is that why you moved the autotrans cooler from the side of the block? Also my intake port/intake manifold mounts at a 90 degree to the engine and in the pic's of yours, yours is running parallel to the engine. Could you help me out on these two items. I can do pic's if you need more info. Of course I have more ????'s but this will do.
Bob
Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
saluda , Virginia
Talking Another cummins recipient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERAUTO04 View Post
Greg,
I'm in the process of swapping to a 1993 Cummins. I'm having trouble with room for the turbo. In the pictures it looks like the turbo mounts going streight up, is that why you moved the autotrans cooler from the side of the block? Also my intake port/intake manifold mounts at a 90 degree to the engine and in the pic's of yours, yours is running parallel to the engine. Could you help me out on these two items. I can do pic's if you need more info. Of course I have more ????'s but this will do.
Bob
Bob,
The exhaust manifold must come from another application, like a motorhome with a diesel pusher configuration. The turbo must mount straight down and come out towards the rear of the manifold. Yes, that is why the trans cooler had to move. Also, the downpipe will be close to hitting the bell housing, but it will work.
On the intake manifold, I simply redrilled the holes on that neck so it would fit facing forward. This process does not interfere with the intake gasket, so its a cheap solution.

Keep the questions coming,
Greg
1979 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA / DRIVER CONTROLLED AIRBAGS IN REAR / BUFFED / HEAT DISSIPATING WHITE PAINTED ROOF / 2500 WATT INVERTER / KUBOTA DIESEL 5.5KW GENSET / ((((CUMMINS)))) TURBO DIESEL / 14CM TURBO HOUSING WITH PACBRAKE EXHAUST BRAKE / 4" EXHAUST WITH 5" EXAHAUST TIP / 16 MPG
gwbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
These threads seem to end just when they get finalized, Interesting as to the drivable results.

any updates on this fantastic project. ?

Thank you

John
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #119

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Boonies , British Columbia
I agree

I hope gwbaker gets back on with more info. I've been looking into an Airstream moho for some time, but owning a VW diesel Westfalia has made me picky about mileage. Going from a camper running on biodiesel to a 454 is not an appealing transition...

But I love the Airstream design.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #120
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Going from a camper running on biodiesel to a 454 is not an appealing transition...
The neat thing about the 454 engine is you can wrap your dinner in foil and lay it on the manifolds: ready in two minutes!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
The neat thing about the 454 engine is you can wrap your dinner in foil and lay it on the manifolds: ready in two minutes!
Amazon.com: Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine! (9780375751400): Chris Maynard, Bill Scheller: Books
"Feeling a mite peckish on those long road trips? All you need are shrimp, pork fat, "whatever 'Cajun' seasonings you've seen advertised," a set of wheels and someplace to go. Cook on a medium-hot part of the engine for about 55 miles."