Test flight

GW How about the pacbrake ?? Phil&Sam

Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbaker
You can sell this to your wife however you want, but here is why we do what we do:
Greg
Greg,
You are the man! That is not soapbox material, that is great forum talk. I agree 100% with you. If I had $100k to spend on an RV, instead of a diesel pusher SOB, I'd buy a prestine version of what I have and "pimp" it out. Maybe $30k on the unit, then $20k on a new powerplant, and the rest on updating the enterior. Maybe Airstream could put a new CCD style interior for me.

Here's the problem: My wife doesn't get the streamlining/efficiency idealism. She doesn't like numbers, and they won't make sense to her, or cause her to shift her thinking. She doesn't agree with the American DIY Dream of building something better by hand. She will only see the obvious: me gone for 9 weekends with my head in the motorhome, $10,000 out of our bank account, and a louder motor. Nevermind that we have 2 BMWs that have depreciated $40k in the last 3 years, and she doesn't get why we should use cash instead of credit.

Now that I've seen your project, and it's a proven model, I find the decision to follow your footsteps an easy one. I also think that it's ironic that the biggest hurdle for me in getting this done is not a matter of mechanics or finances, but a matter of marriage and family.

It might not happen today, but at least it gives me something to dream about. Thanks again for all the advice/pictures/sharing.
-Kevin

Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
saluda , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Phil
GW How about the pacbrake ?? Phil&Sam
Pacbrake works like a champ. I only get to use it when I'm cruising into a rest area too fast. But when I do, it's like a droge chute is being thrown out. When I head to Colorado this summer, I will use that thing in the mountains, and report the results.
1979 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA / DRIVER CONTROLLED AIRBAGS IN REAR / BUFFED / HEAT DISSIPATING WHITE PAINTED ROOF / 2500 WATT INVERTER / KUBOTA DIESEL 5.5KW GENSET / ((((CUMMINS)))) TURBO DIESEL / 14CM TURBO HOUSING WITH PACBRAKE EXHAUST BRAKE / 4" EXHAUST WITH 5" EXAHAUST TIP / 16 MPG
gwbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #102
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I much enjoyed reading this. Cummins makes one great motor, in any of its iterations. Glad, very glad you found the info you wanted on the trans. The 727 dates to about 1956, originally with an iron case and both front and rear fluid pumps (yes, it could be push started with that set-up).

On our Chrysler tow vehicles we added a cooler downstream as well as an auxiliary filter; I'd recommend a RACOR kit. I also do the power steering the same way. (Except with a MAGNEFINE filter).

As to fluids, I'd also like to recommend SCHAEFFER"s ALL-TRANS SUPREME, a synthetic blend. You can find more info on Bob Is The Oil Guy as well as where to purchase. I assume you already have a deep pan with drain plug and boss for installing trans temp gauge.

I used to have one of those teeny inch pound torque wrenches just for adjusting the bands on a 727. Keep an eye on the linkage bushings, they sometimes head south (as did mine) and made for an irritating search for a problem I couldn't see.

Cool moho. I, too, get 15 with my truck and trailer at 63 mph with an all up weight of about 15,250#.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

saluda , Virginia
Diesel Generator Up And Running

As promised, here are the pictures of my Kubota/Marcon 5.5KW Diesel genset. It was designed to be a semi truck APU, so it is not soundproofed, which is perfect, because it is also very small. Its a 2 cylinder and runs at 2800RPM, and the generator head runs at 3600RPM through the belt ratios. I've installed soundproofing and the noise is barely noticable over the A/C units, and yes, it runs both of them, and the microwave, and the ice maker all at the same time. This thing doesn't even grunt. I also plummed it in with the big engine cooling system, and I have an electric fan on the big radiator that kicks on at about 170 degrees, so the gen keeps the engine warm and vice versa. Works like a champ, I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	59789   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	59790  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gen3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	59791  
1979 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA / DRIVER CONTROLLED AIRBAGS IN REAR / BUFFED / HEAT DISSIPATING WHITE PAINTED ROOF / 2500 WATT INVERTER / KUBOTA DIESEL 5.5KW GENSET / ((((CUMMINS)))) TURBO DIESEL / 14CM TURBO HOUSING WITH PACBRAKE EXHAUST BRAKE / 4" EXHAUST WITH 5" EXAHAUST TIP / 16 MPG
Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Very impressive, very impressive indeed.

Kip
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
i just commented to my wife about your genset achievement. she just looked at me and said 'these yorkshire terriors are going for two thousand dollars!'

however i am very impressed with the quality of work your showing us. do you work on other folks a.s mohos or is yours a labor of love?

you've certainly got my business in case you ever give up your day job.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Christmas Valley , Oregon
Kuboto Gen.

Hey, GW, another cool project. We used to use Kuboto 10KW generators for power in the field. They were 4 cylinders and awesome pieces of gear. Ran them night and day in cold weather. Did you remove the stock generator, or was there one? Can you compare it in size to my 6.5 propane powered piece of junk? This sounds like a good project for next winter. I am about to install my high-output altenator. They claim 145amps at idle, 200 at redline....we'll see. Regards, Phil and Sam
Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #107
2 Rivet Member

saluda , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Phil
Hey, GW, another cool project. We used to use Kuboto 10KW generators for power in the field. They were 4 cylinders and awesome pieces of gear. Ran them night and day in cold weather. Did you remove the stock generator, or was there one? Can you compare it in size to my 6.5 propane powered piece of junk? This sounds like a good project for next winter. I am about to install my high-output altenator. They claim 145amps at idle, 200 at redline....we'll see. Regards, Phil and Sam
I took out the original Onan 4.0 gasser. This is much smaller than the 6.5 that you have. Its louder than yours though, you turn at 1800, this one turns 2800. But thats how they pack such a punch.

Greg
Old 05-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

saluda , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi
i just commented to my wife about your genset achievement. she just looked at me and said 'these yorkshire terriors are going for two thousand dollars!'

however i am very impressed with the quality of work your showing us. do you work on other folks a.s mohos or is yours a labor of love?

you've certainly got my business in case you ever give up your day job.
Labor of love, mostly, but if the timing were right, I could probably accommidate you. Just shoot me a private email.

Greg
Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #109

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
hixson , Tennessee
wire in how do these wire in outlets do you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbaker View Post
As promised, here are the pictures of my Kubota/Marcon 5.5KW Diesel genset. It was designed to be a semi truck APU, so it is not soundproofed, which is perfect, because it is also very small. Its a 2 cylinder and runs at 2800RPM, and the generator head runs at 3600RPM through the belt ratios. I've installed soundproofing and the noise is barely noticable over the A/C units, and yes, it runs both of them, and the microwave, and the ice maker all at the same time. This thing doesn't even grunt. I also plummed it in with the big engine cooling system, and I have an electric fan on the big radiator that kicks on at about 170 degrees, so the gen keeps the engine warm and vice versa. Works like a champ, I love it.

do i need any thig to wire in besides outles and wire
Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

saluda , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd25 View Post
do i need any thig to wire in besides outles and wire
If you are already wired for a generator, the AC side is just like the one that came out of there. The remote controller is different, because it needs the preheat function, so I just wired it with the supplied remote switch.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This is a terrific thread. All the pages are interesting reading, especially for a former ( sniff) Classic Moho owner. But I do love my 14mg V10 Excursion towing my 31 Excella.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
1982 31' Airstream310
Moccas , herefordshire
which way

I am putting a 1992 6.2 CHEVY 4speed automatic diesel out of a DAYVAN in my 1982 31ft EXCELLA A/S.The mechanic says because the A/S has the parking brake on the prop shaft it will not fit how can I get round this problem.He also says this engine is not powerful enough to pull the A/S.Both engines are out so it has to go in any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks for your time Norman