Anyone know how to remove the little comfy chairs across from the sofa? Thanks,

Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle One View Post
pull out the battery tray, slide underneath the coach and remove the bolts. Have someone inside the coach gripping the bolts on top.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
This may be a dumb question, but my Alcoa wheels up front have 5 lugs nuts holding them on, and on the back dual and tags there's 10. When it's time to rotate the tires, does that mean the tires only and not the wheels?
I haven't got to that bridge yet.

I'm enjoying every bit of the steep learning curve going from a TT to MOHO. I'm sure you will too Buttercup. One more day eh
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle One View Post
Mr Turtle,
We removed ours...it involves fairly simple steps, but is easier with two people.
You will have to remove or cut the carpet around the base of the chairs(we cut ours, and will eventually put in Pergo). there will be padding underneath, then the particle board floor. The chairs are bolted through the floor(4 bolts each chair). The nuts are accessed by crawling under the unit. The front chair nuts are visible when you pull open the battery drawer. The rear chair nuts are accessible from inside the drop-down door immediately behind the battery pull-out drawer. Two people help the removal, as the lossening of the bolts/nuts is not a one-person reach type of thing. I managed by bracing the box-end against the centerpost of the chair, but it slipped more than once, necessitating crawling back out from under, re-setting, and crawling back under.
For what it's worth, removal of the tv cabinet requires pullin out the drawer(slip-catch release is under the drawer and has to be felt, rather than seen, unless you have a 1 inch wide head...). there will be two aluminum angle pieces screwed to the floor and the sides of the cabinet.A warning...once the chairs and cabinet are gone, you will have a tendency to hit your head on the overhead cabinets fairly frequently...
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #61
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
I'm enjoying every bit of the steep learning curve going from a TT to MOHO. I'm sure you will too Buttercup. One more day eh
Oh yes! I am both nervous and excited at the same time. I can't wait! We had gravel delivered to our house and we have created a nice parking spot for her. 45 feet long and what a job to spread that!
I have to think about winterization but first - there may be a trip to Death Valley in the works....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #62
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi View Post
This may be a dumb question, but my Alcoa wheels up front have 5 lugs nuts holding them on, and on the back dual and tags there's 10. When it's time to rotate the tires, does that mean the tires only and not the wheels?
The should be the same, there are 5 more holes under the chrome ring on the front wheel.

Just as an FYI, I have an 8 lug front and rear, year to year it seems to changed...
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Mr Turtle,
We removed ours...it involves fairly simple steps, but is easier with two people.
You will have to remove or cut the carpet around the base of the chairs(we cut ours, and will eventually put in Pergo). there will be padding underneath, then the particle board floor. The chairs are bolted through the floor(4 bolts each chair). The nuts are accessed by crawling under the unit. The front chair nuts are visible when you pull open the battery drawer. The rear chair nuts are accessible from inside the drop-down door immediately behind the battery pull-out drawer. Two people help the removal, as the lossening of the bolts/nuts is not a one-person reach type of thing. I managed by bracing the box-end against the centerpost of the chair, but it slipped more than once, necessitating crawling back out from under, re-setting, and crawling back under.
For what it's worth, removal of the tv cabinet requires pullin out the drawer(slip-catch release is under the drawer and has to be felt, rather than seen, unless you have a 1 inch wide head...). there will be two aluminum angle pieces screwed to the floor and the sides of the cabinet.A warning...once the chairs and cabinet are gone, you will have a tendency to hit your head on the overhead cabinets fairly frequently...
mike
good detailed post mike
i've been toying with removing the entertainment center, but have made good use of mine so it's staying for now. 1 inch wide head, lol - you need one of those for working on the engine, lots of touchy feely when working down there. took ages to figure why the socket wouldn't fit on the spark plugs. some heat resistant sheilds protecting the wires! did i mention a learning curve for the mechanically challenged.
I hang a long brush on the overhead cabinet by the door as a reminder about them goose eggs
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
QUOTE i've been toying with removing the entertainment center, but have made good use of mine so it's staying for now. UNQUOTE

Thanks...We are planning on installing an old side-fold out treadle sewing machine for a computer/tv stand/desk...well.at least that's the concept...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
You can add our name to the list of proud classic Airstream Motorhome owners. We just put a deposit on a 345LE 454. It is in excellent condition with every system and part (except for the blinds) in working order. It is clean and running strong.
We will take delivery at the end of the month. The PO is going to give us the full tour of the rig, showing us everything that he can and we will then have a shakedown camping trip in Lodi overnight with friends.
I have dreamed of this since I first saw a classic AS MOHO. Now we have one and I am so excited. The PO is even throwing in a towed vehicle that actually matches the paint of the MOHO. What could be better.
The PO has a muffler & brake shop and has put a lot of time into making sure that all systems are in top shape. I even looked underneath the rig and it appears clean and well maintained.
We can't wait to bring her home and start to getting to know her. Working on a name now....
It has a Mile Marker electronic overdrive and the doorbell works (it's so cute). Wow - I could go on and on...
Beautiful moho. It looks like a space ship.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #66
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Any one know where I can get a cover for the big hole in the middle of the front wheel cover?

Thanks
If you want to stay authentic, the originals had the "Airstream" logo in the center. I would imagine you would have to get those specific ones from Airsteam.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #67
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I have to think about winterization but first - there may be a trip to Death Valley in the works....
Get five fifths of the cheapest Vodka you can buy. Disconnect the hose that runs from the water tank to the pump, at the water tank.

(I changed ours out for a longer one that reaches out the storage compartment on the left rear of the coach.)

Install a bypass to your water heater and then drain the water heater itself. You take the bypass out when you're finished.

Have someone insert the hose into the Vodka bottles while you pump the system full. Don't forget the ice maker. You can smell the Vodka when it starts coming out of the faucets.

I have been doing this for ten years or so. No problems at all. In the Spring you can have a party opening up. Okay, we don't. Probably wouldn't taste very good by that time.

The Vodka sanitizes the system with no after taste. It has never frozen on me here in the frigid north either.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #68
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
QUOTE We are planning on installing an old side-fold out treadle sewing machine for a computer/tv stand/desk...well.at least that's the concept...
We did remove the barrel chairs, and after installing a Pergoe floor, built in a cabinet and reinstalled one of the chairs after it was recovered. The cabinet contains our VCR, CD Deck and other electronic componets. The TV just sits on top on a non-skid pad.

Wife loves it. Easier to keep clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Floor1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	70993  

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Grass Valley, CA , California
That looks great. We're trying to figure out how to remove the chair behind the suicide seat (up front), the console that has the tv in it and replace with an office chair (small) and desk so we can set up a laptop and have a small are on which to keep our geneology paperwork. I like what you did with the tv. We're thinking of buying a flatscreen and attaching it somehow to the wall where the clock is at the galley kitchen table area. Thanks tons for the input.
BTW - we're "turtle" because we carry our home on our back, although not fulltimers.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #70
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Airtini is Ours...

O.K. We now have her. We met with the PO of this beautiful MoHo. He was most gracious in showing us how everything works and took us for a drive and told us of all of her quirks. For example, the "Water in Fuel" light comes on and off all the time. This despite the fact that the engine is a 454 and uses no diesel fuel. Things like that.
He helped us hitch up the towed vehicle and even pumped in $45 of gas for us (which we gladly repaid him for) to make sure that we would have enough to get where we were going.
Then after a final handshake, we parted ways. I could see in his eyes that he was going to miss his old gal. I hope he knows that we will take very good care of her.
We drove from Tracy, CA to Lodi, Ca and stopped at DoorGunner's place. Together we looked at the levelers and a few other features. And we started to test everything we could get our hands on.
Boy - to winterize this baby will take some time and gallons of antifreeze.
So , I have a little gallery of this trip online at http://archnevada.com/airtini/. Take a look...
We are making a list of the things we would like to be able to do, like replace the screens, general cleanup, stuff like that.
We are quite happy and all I can say is that driving down the road is like floating. it just glides...
The 454 is snooth and the overdrive feels.... Solid. All in all, we will get along quite well together.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote