Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #29
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, lets see...
There is the Classic Airstream Motorhome website for one source of info. There forums here for more. ThisOldRV.com is there as well but that one is a small site (100 members or so??) that seems to have more general talk rather than technical info but there are a few very experienced Airstream Motorhome Owners there.
I will be making a PDF copy of my entire service manual (when I get it).

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
There is also a Barthmobile.com site...not sure if that is the exact address, that has some(I found) valuable advice regarding the GM/Chev chassis...quite a bit of discussion on P30 vs P32 classification...
We blew a right front wheelbearing just outside of Kingman, AZ about a year ago...in the process, the hub and spindle were chewed up...bearing?no problem...spindle?no problem...hub?10 days in a motel while the Freightliner place tried to find one...WE went thru the Barthmobile forum and found contacts that led me to what I think may have been the LAST two hubs in the USA, in Minnesota...needed one, own both. Don't forget that the body is Airstream, but the chassis and motor are mostly STOCK...many shops can't seem to get around the name. They can't seem to equate 'bread truck' with 'Airstream' in a chassis...
mike
mike

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #31
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I am going to try not to panic at the thought that you own the last hub and that there exists a possibility I may be stranded somewhere without a hope in the world.
With a trailer I worry about a blowout and I still have a good axle and wheel on that side.
You point out something to me that I know about trailers but nothing about GM chassis.
Something new for me to study.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Congratulations

Great to see such nice folks get something they want. Look forward to seeing you in the future at one of the California Rallys.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #33
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I am going to try not to panic at the thought that you own the last hub and that there exists a possibility I may be stranded somewhere without a hope in the world.
I bumped a curb and shattered a wheel bearing a few years ago. The race turned inside the hub ruining the hub. Took me a long time to find a replacement and then it was six hundred dollars.

Okay, in retrospect I could have used a six hole hub which was available for a little over two hundred dollars, but I wanted to stay authentic and use the Airstream twelve hole hub, so I paid the price.

Thinking about it now I should have used the cheaper hub and just placed fake studs in the extra holes in the wheel rims. I could have then placed acorn covers on the fakes and no one would have know.

Well, I stayed authentic, but it cost me four hundred dollars.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #34
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Coop - I would also tend towards going authentic and the 12 hole no matter the cost because We prefer to stick with what it originally came with. That is just the way we are but it might not hurt to have a spare 6 bolt just in case I wonder...
When you say you bumped the curb, how fast were you going or how hard did it hit? How long did it take to realize that the bearing shattered?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Coop - I would also tend towards going authentic and the 12 hole no matter the cost because We prefer to stick with what it originally came with. That is just the way we are but it might not hurt to have a spare 6 bolt just in case I wonder...
When you say you bumped the curb, how fast were you going or how hard did it hit? How long did it take to realize that the bearing shattered?
What hub do you need?

Andy
Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #36
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I have owned my 345 since March of this year. I haven't found anybody around my area that knows anything about them. Is there a special club or what ever for the older classic Air Streams motor homes? How may of them are there? I see so much stuff for the trailers but very little about the classic motor home. I would like to find someone to show me around it. I am finding new things everytime I use it. Also MY DOORBELL DOES NOT WORK. ha ha

I joined the East TN unit and WBCCI #3963. Nobody has a classic motor home. I'm the only one at our rallies. Everybody comes over to look at it.

I also have a 1976 Palm Beach GMC. They have a special registration so we know how many are still running. Also everyone know how to work on them.
Welcome to the forums James.

I belong to the Georgia Unit and have camped at "The Top of Georgia Airstream Park" once before. It is owned by the WBCCI and only allows members to use the camp ground. They do allow members to store their units at the camp ground and the weekend we visited there were several Classic motorhomes in storage there and at least one was a 345LE. You might look in the WBCCI directory under the Georgia Unit members and see if there are any listed near you that own one. I haven't used the directory in a long time so I can't remember if it includes the type of Airstream product owned or not. If it doesn't, you might contact the camp ground host and ask if they will give you the names of the owners or the numbers off the units to contact them via the directory.

Good luck with your new to you Classic and again, welcome to the forums.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #37
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Coop -
I was actually parking and I backed into a parallel parking space with the 345 and when I pulled out I swung it wide and the wheels pivoted on the drivers and the tag wheel bumped the curb.

Thought nothing of it until 20 miles later when my family alerted me to a rumbling noise in the rear. I pulled into a convenience store out in the country to check it out and thought "Gee, I wonder whose wheel that is that just passed me?" Of course, it was mine.

The remarkable thing was that the motorhome was still driveable as the axle was still well clear of the ground. We just loaded the wheel and tire into the coach and drove home.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
We also had a tag axle wheel fall off, we had just gotten off the freeway and were only going 5 mph so it just toppled over-------they are very heavy though. Only in LA:..... a guy on a fork lift was driving by and loaded it into our car for us.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tag axle

We have the tag axle "hub" that was used on the Henschen tag axle.

Andy
Old 10-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #40
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm View Post
Only in LA:..... a guy on a fork lift was driving by and loaded it into our car for us.
After nearly a month here, I would believe this could happen.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Our lost(destroyed) hub was a front tire...don't know if the configuratios are different, but would suspect so...we REALLY looked...

Andy...do you have these in stock or have a source...? they are not the 12 lug, but the front tire hub...I believe that is 6 lug, but am unable to confirm, as our child is getting a physical and colonoscopy before the winter desert trip...

Buttercup...didn't want to alarm you, just give you a heads up on things that can happen, and share experiences...the value in living we have received from owning the ScrapIrony-2 far outweighs any mechanical problems we have encountered...I actually have come to view my time spent at the house as incarceration, and the time in the MoHo as time off for good behavior...you will not regret your purchase.
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
6 hole hub

Our 310 has 5 lug (10 hole wheels) hubs up front and 10 lug hubs in the rear. I checked a couple of 345's and they appear to be the same.

Is there something I'm missing

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote