Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
It lives again

Hey,
So after rebuilding the 454, dropping in a little bit more duration and lift, porting and polishing the heads, new crank,bearings etc etc, I got the time today to fire the beast up. Key on, fuel pump running, fuel injection doing its wake up things, and first turn of the key, she rolls over, and fires right up. 85 pounds of oil pressure, lifters pump up, I've never had an engine do that on the first try. I think having fuel injection, and a modulating system that knows the timing of the engine really helps. So, tomorrow I will wrap up the little odds and ends, and maybe, go for a performance run. Total cost of the rebuild, about 3500.00 bucks. That's not bad. We'll see if porting and polishing makes a difference. Anybody out there done any porting and polishing of heads? Did you notice a difference in performance and or mileage. I can tell y'all this. 454 were known for being kinda touchy when it came to fuel, timing. When I was doing the polishing of the heads, there was a lot of exssess flashing between the valves, the chambers were very rough. I could see were hot spots could develop when your pushing the motor . In a car or pickup, I don't think you could get the motor hot enough to start having detination issues. So, we ll see. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Congrats. Long live the 454!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Awesome!
What efi system did you go with?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
I went with a FiTech system. The kit had the carb, fuel pump, filters. It was super easy to install. I did put on a Holley fuel pump in front of the FiTech high pressure fuel pump. I did that to get the fuel out of the tank. I mounted both pumps and big filter on a panel right in front of the fuel tank. I isolated the panel,both fuel pumps with rubber grommets. It still makes a humming sound, but it would be a lot louder without those grommets.
I believe the complete kit cost 950.oo. Directions were very complete and easy to follow.
The carb looks like a Holley carb in that all four holes are the same size. I had to get an adapter plate, for my manifold, to adapt the FiTech to the stock GM quadrajet manifold. I have since gone to an edlebrock performer dual plane manifold. Non egr. Since ve have the peanut port heads on our 454s I had to get the performer manifold with the oval ports.when I ported the heads, I had to die grind and polish the intake ports, to match the larger oval port manifold. The peanut port heads are perfect for an rv application. We need low end torque. The peanut port heads do a fine job in that regard.. Sorry, I got a little off topic there. But it was part of the fuel injection switch over.
DJ
Old 08-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
You don't have to go with a diferant intake manifold. I just did it cause I wanted to go to a better flowing manifold. But they don't make a peanut port aluminum manifold. Thus the nessesary head customizing. DJ
Old 08-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Does the FiTech system have a throttle position sensor on it? If so, could be great to pair with a 4L85E transmission swap...

My th475 has leaky seals and I’m thinking ahead...what else do I “need”[emoji848]
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
I'm sorry I didn't t get back to you sooner. Been very busy. Anyway. I think the FiTech system does have a throttle positioning sensor on the unit. It looks like one. You may want to give FiTech a call. It would seem to me, they must have made provisions in the build and software of the unit ,for overdrive applications.
When I fired the rig up. It ran smooth, quiet. I hadn't even adjusted the valves yet. They re close,but I wanted to set them with the thing running. And I set the timing by eye. The unit adjusted for that too. So, that pretty cool. So, today, I'm going to batten down a few things and I'm done. Test drive it tomorrow I hope. DJ
Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
Regarding your leaky seals. You mean valve seals?. They do get hard, and the new style ones have a plastic grommet and a little snap ring on them. If you go that route, be aware that the height of that seal is higher than the stock seal. It may require a shop doing it. If going the route a rebuild or valve job, then, it may be the way to go. I used the stock seals, mostly because they are better than the original stock ones, and I'm not to worried about blow by. Everything is new, so I shouldn t have any issues. When they did the valve job, after I ported the heads, the valve guides and sealing of the valves, we're so good, the guy said, it really didn't need a valve job. I did it because the rest of the motor was getting done. Just a little tidbit of info for you. DJ
Old 09-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
Post script. The reason why the seals won't work, was because I put a higher lift cam in the engine. Forgot about that. So on a stock engine, those high tech seals may work fine. My cam is a little more aggressive than stock. More low end tourque. . DJ
Old 09-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Well, if that FiTech does involve the TPS, it would be wonderful. Glad to hear it fired right up after your install.

My leaks are rear of engine/front of tranny. I’m guessing rear main seal on engine. Also trans leak at rear by drum E brake. I am really hoping a 4l85e is part of my project, and the carb to FI would actually improve reliability/performance and give control to the tranny[emoji106]

Good luck in the test run!!!
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote