Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Sad! But sometimes you end up between a rock and a hard spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I understand the position. Sometimes the cost of repair is more than the value of a vehicle, or more than one can afford.

I just hope that there really is major engine damage.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The only way to find out there is "major engine damage" is to do what I had to do with the Isuzu one time: I'd blown a turbo and had it replaced, still smoked and made noise. Limped it back from Arizona to Washington and pulled the pump, sent it in, had the injectors checked, pulled the head and had it checked. Except for minor adjustments and cleaning,all was fine. The jugs looked fine, clean as all get out, no scoring, could have eaten off them. As I was staring into the jugs and wondering, "what the hell has happened", the thought ocurred to me "bad new turbo?" When the top end is off, it's easy money to get the turbo out and that's what it was. Bottom line, if you've got problems with the 6BD, the top end should come off, anyway, just to be sure. IMO
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Mike.. Wish we coulda been there to support our fellow Airstreamer.. maybe we could have wrenched a better solution... but, that didn't happen... can only hope at this point he got good advice...

but the mechanic definitely SCORED!!!! IMPHO
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
but the mechanic definitely SCORED!!!! IMPHO
I guess he scored! That was a sad deal all the way around. One thing I just remembered for you Isuzu-powered folk: when the injector pump is taken in for service, tell them it's a turbo, otherwise they'll adjust the pump wrong and you'll still smoke.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Mike,
When you replaced your turbo, what brand did you install?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Mike,
When you replaced your turbo, what brand did you install?
I believe it was a Garrett. I only installed the second turbo in 2012, so this # is what you need: AID409280-9012.
Oregon Fuel Injection, Rebuilt diesel injection pump, turbo, injectors, diesel performance products and repair parts for diesel pick-ups.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks Mike. I do believe mine is original and still operating well as far as the boost gauge readings and the power it has. But, if indeed this is as you said about being one of the first things to go on this 6bd1a ill file your info away. Is there regular maintenance to be performed on the turbo itself? Ive cleaned the K n N filter and replaced the fiber intake hose (old one was cracked bad). Is there more i should do as regular maintenance on the BAE.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
A lot of people think I'm nuts, but after 20+ years of running down the road with Bess, I've found an oil change every 3k + fuel filter has worked well. The K & N air filter should be attended to depending on mileage and dust conditions. The upper filter (a bearcat to replace), should be changed ASAP. If you go to the 3k method, only the bottom needs replacing. Delo oil is my choice..
Old 08-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #30
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Thanks Mike. I do believe mine is original and still operating well as far as the boost gauge readings and the power it has. But, if indeed this is as you said about being one of the first things to go on this 6bd1a ill file your info away. Is there regular maintenance to be performed on the turbo itself? Ive cleaned the K n N filter and replaced the fiber intake hose (old one was cracked bad). Is there more i should do as regular maintenance on the BAE.
While you have the K&N filter out make sure to inspect all paper pleats as I have seen a K&N filter in our rigs with no paper left resulting in all kinds of sand getting through, which sandblasted the vanes of the turbo down and left sand in the intake. If your paper is good, use K&N filter oil to apply to the pleats for added protection.

OP.....I wish you luck with whatever newer MH you get, but I personally wouldn't have made that deal. I think you will live to regret it.

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks once again Tony for your help.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
[QUOTE=Isuzusweet;OP.....I wish you luck with whatever newer MH you get, but I personally wouldn't have made that deal. I think you will live to regret it.[/QUOTE]

I agree, poor guy, I don't wave to big box Airstreams, cause I don't see them.
The K & N problem is usually caused by someone using an air compressor to try to speed up the process of drying.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
A lot of people think I'm nuts, but after 20+ years of running down the road with Bess, I've found an oil change every 3k + fuel filter has worked well. The K & N air filter should be attended to depending on mileage and dust conditions. The upper filter (a bearcat to replace), should be changed ASAP. If you go to the 3k method, only the bottom needs replacing. Delo oil is my choice..

Are you talking about the upper fuel filter? I did go though and change all the filters, upper and Racor, oil, tranny (Allison), and cleaned and oiled the KnN. I used to have a K n N on an old thumper i rode for awhile so im familiar with that filter. Just want to make sure im not missing any.
Ive never had a vehicle that was turbo charged so i didnt know if there was some type of regular maintenence that needs to be done to the turbo itself. Sounds like just keep the air filter clean and oiled and glad i found that fiber hose on the intake. It was hard to get to, but got it done.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #34
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
The upper filter (a bearcat to replace), should be changed ASAP. If you go to the 3k method, only the bottom needs replacing. Delo oil is my choice..
I would have had to agree with you about the upper filter placement but a very nice and smart PO decided to relocate the filter to the lower chassis rails making it almost a breeze to change. Kinda scared me at first when I was first looking for it and only found studs!!!!

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Boulder , Colorado
Isuzu rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I would have had to agree with you about the upper filter placement but a very nice and smart PO decided to relocate the filter to the lower chassis rails making it almost a breeze to change. Kinda scared me at first when I was first looking for it and only found studs!!!!

Cheers

Tony

The air filter on my 360 wasn't hard to get at but required removing the entire canister to replace the cartridge. Disconnecting the tube to the turbo left a opportunity to get dirt in the system. After an agonizing search I came up with a great replacement. I wrote it up in mechanics corner.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121184

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Air Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks to all who sent their good wishes. I just want to make it clear that there is NO other choice. Even junks yards would not take it unless I paid to tow it to there door step. I have absolutely no doubt that it spun a rod bearing and then the piston started hitting the cylinder head. After several minutes of this (while the mechanics played with it) it seized. The sad part is I had just paid to have oil, filter and lub done 3 miles before the failure. Did they install the filter wrong? Can't prove it. If I was back home I would take it apart myself (I worked as a mechanic many years ago) but that can't happen on the road. Not really happy about having to go to a Land Yacht.... no one stops to take a picture of them.
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Boulder , Colorado
Isuzu rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony6373 View Post
The sad part is I had just paid to have oil, filter and lub done 3 miles before the failure. Did they install the filter wrong? Can't prove it.

That's just too much of a coincidence! Can't the mechanics check it for incorrect installation?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Air Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
[QUOTE=Air Dog;1494288]That's just too much of a coincidence! Can't the mechanics check it for incorrect installation?
I agree, the oil filter can be installed upside down. Now, I always check my oil pressure gauge after a LOF since blowing a turbo for this reason. I lucked out and limped back to the shop. It cost the owner a fresh turbo & labor.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
So Tony,
Did you buy the new coach? Hope all is well.
Mayco
Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes we took the plunge and bought the '94 30' LY. It drove fine on the way back to Rochester (to get our stuff out of the old 270) but it sounds like it has a cracked exhaust manifold. There is just no end to it! Seems to be a nice comfortable coach but it sure isn't a vintage A/S. No one pays any attention where we frequently had people stop us to take pictures or answer questions with the 270. On the other hand the 454 engine has gobs of power compared to the Isuzu diesel and it's quieter. The island queen bed and larger shower are nice. But how long can a fiberglass M/H last?

I'm still trying to get a few minutes with the shop owner.... he maybe avoiding me. But I know he drives a silver Audi and has to show up at the shop once in a while.
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote