Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I will chime in also. You may wish to check with Progressive, that is where we have our trailers insured. I have them insured at agreed value. You just need to have receipts to show proof of the amount you are insuring it for. This is only needed in the event of a claim though. I am an agent for both Progressive and Formost. The Progressive policy is a little more broad in its coverages. So you get a lot for your dollar. Can't speak for travelers or USAA but rates would be determined by your state and location. Check around and ask for a comparison of coverages before you make a final decision. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Well, I must find someone to apprise my unit to get 'value added' with AAA. No AS dealers in Oklahoma and NADA list it as worth $10,500. Anyone know of any '86 345's that sold? this isn't like land/homes that is public record. Check 'Fred's Airstream" but not prices. Not too many '86 345 for sale. From a search of the Internet looks like $20000 is the norm.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Mel;

Check out Hartford they will let you set a value and I found they gave the best coverage for the price at least 1/2 the price of GMAC.

They also insure through AARP and they insure in OK.

There is an Airstream certified repair facility in OK City that does outstanding work. It is family owned they have a website the owners name is Tom.

GRIFFITH RV SERVICE, INC. 8113 SW 15th

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I get stuff from Geico and Progressive all the time.
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
For an appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Well, I must find someone to apprise my unit to get 'value added' with AAA. No AS dealers in Oklahoma and NADA list it as worth $10,500. Anyone know of any '86 345's that sold? this isn't like land/homes that is public record. Check 'Fred's Airstream" but not prices. Not too many '86 345 for sale. From a search of the Internet looks like $20000 is the norm.
mel
Check with Silverpal on the forums....he is an appraiser and may be coming through your area...if not, perhaps he knows of someone.....good luck....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
I'm with Colorado Farm Bureau. They are always wonderful. My A/S insurance didn't seem too high, but then I just bought it.

AC
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudentane View Post
If you have served in the military check out USAA - I've had all my insurance with them for years - the rates are decent and the claims service is FAST and decent.
Agree!
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I've been with GEICO for a few years now but without claim experience.

GMAC got goofy on me when the Cadillac passed 20 years old. "We don't provide collision coverage on vehicles over 20 years old."

As the Airstream is also commercial use I needed special coverage and they have not denied me this. However all said and done I did get some sticker shock when I added the ML320 to the policy. Agent sighted "parts replacement costs" as the key to covering the Benz.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #29
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
Mel;

There is an Airstream certified repair facility in OK City that does outstanding work. It is family owned they have a website the owners name is Tom.

GRIFFITH RV SERVICE, INC. 8113 SW 15th

Garry
Griffith is a great guy, has done great work for me, is reasonable on parts, but he don't sell and don't do (value) appraisals. He was my first choose. They said I should take it to a AS dealer. None in Oklahoma
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
Fair market value ?

Is there any ins. co. that will give you fair market value? I would like to purchase a 2001 AS Excella, the seller is asking $29.900 and my ins. co, State Farm will only cover up to $14.080 top NADA value !
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
This might sound like a really dumb question but, if the NADA top blue book value is only $14,080, why would you pay $29,900???

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
This might sound like a really dumb question but, if the NADA top blue book value is only $14,080, why would you pay $29,900???
That is the Question, why with this AS or any other used AS that is typically $10K over NADA !
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We had our appraisal done by a local guy who did personal property appraisals. Like he would go into an estate before the sale and appraise things. So he had a lot of experience in using the net to look up values and research stuff. He took my advice on places to look, came out and looked over the trailer in person, and wrote us up an appraisal for the amount we wanted. I think he cost about $150 for the service, but it was worth it to me for the peace of mind of knowing the trailer was insured for what I consider it's value to be. Like everyone else around here, my 40 year old trailer is worth a lot more than it appears on paper, and I know about what it would cost to find another restored, ready to camp in, Caravel.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Reminds me of when I had my Corvette....just because of that word, everything got very pricey...

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The trouble with appraisals is that with a small market, it's much harder to easily get numbers, so you have to find some local guy who is conscientious and won't charge an arm and a leg. I would check with the insurance company to make sure they will accept the appraiser you want. Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums, avoiding any risk, and not paying claims. That is not always true, but it's true a lot of the time and you want to avoid that type of situation by covering all bases and making sure the company actually pays claims without major hassles. One of the latest things some companies do is look for something they can claim you did wrong or may have edged the truth about and then they can deny all coverage.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Glad to know about GEICO - I have had my insurance with them for years on my auto's. I will let you know the outcome of my conversation with them. When my wife got run off the road and totaled her Land Rover I could not ask for a better insurance company. We had a replacenent check in a week. I hope I do not get the guy you talked to.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Same problem - Low *NADA* Book Value
I have a '90 Excella. Seems most are selling for $8-14,000 depending..

I asked for an 'agreed on value' of $10,000, and they said OK based on an appraisal.

OK, so I have to travel 200 miles to a dealer. Then the dealer said they only use NADA book. I said that won't do as the *NADA value* is only $3500.

Tried another Airstream dealer and got the same answer. I'm afraid Florida will have lower values than GA & S.C.

So I have printed out asking prices for about 10 comparables to show my agent. Don't think that will change any minds, but haven't seen him yet.

I don't have enough receipts showing a higher amount.

I see some of you have found a 'local appraiser', perhaps an estate appraiser. And that any person need to be approved by the agent (Progressive in my case also).

The phone book has about a dozen, mostly estate auction, home, jewelry types. Going to Atlanta next week. Wonder if that's an option.

Any other successes to get closer to market?

Steve in Savannah
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #38

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
I see some of you have found a 'local appraiser', perhaps an estate appraiser. And that any person need to be approved by the agent (Progressive in my case also).
Progressive didn't care who we used as long as he was a professional. Our guy found comps on eBay and Craigslist, made a nice write up explaining that Airstream trailers have a special following that increases their value like a classic car, and also explained the difference between the value of a restored trailer and an unrestored one.

FWIW I don't think anyone at the insurance company even looked at the appraisal, they just filed it away. I'm sure if anything happened to the trailer, we'll pull it out and argue about it then. They have their copy, I have mine. Since the trailer has made it this long without incident, hopefully we'll never have to test it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Going rate for an appraiser..?

Thanks Steph,

That is what I did - find comps on ebay, etc. I may call some of the local appraisers and ask for credentials and rate. Then show him/her all my comps (done last week) and see where that takes me.

Couldn't be worse than the NADA values which are less than 1/2 approx current value. Any type appraiser who seems to work better for you?

BTW, I also talked to an A/S rep who basically said that NADA was *the book* that the insurance companies use unless they had accepted an appraisal. The only way to go.

Best to have this done before you need it!!~

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Since NADA seems to be the accepted standard for vehicle pricing, I wonder what criteria they use to price Airstreams. You know that, regardless of whether or not you have a certified, bonafide, A #1 appraiser telling you what your coach is worth, the insurance company is going to use the lowest possible price to settle with you, in case of an accident. It's all fine and dandy that Airstream has a particular following that is willing to pay through the nose for their product, however the insurance company is not part of that following.

I fear that, in the long run, and given the current economy, NADA will have the final say, and you're going to have one helluva time proving otherwise.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371