Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Foremost will insure for actual cash value (ACV). Be prepared to prove it if you file a claim. I always get an appraisal when ever I do major work to the MH. The appraisal helps to prove your actual cash value instead of relying on NADA.(pronounce it how you will)

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #42

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
It's all fine and dandy that Airstream has a particular following that is willing to pay through the nose for their product, however the insurance company is not part of that following.

I fear that, in the long run, and given the current economy, NADA will have the final say, and you're going to have one helluva time proving otherwise.
The way I see it, if they are going to use the NADA value of my coach, I don't need insurance, because the NADA value of a 41 year old AS is probably less than my deductible. But I am going to them and saying "I am letting you know that the replacement value of this vehicle is more than you might expect, here is an appraisal to that fact, and I am willing to pay a premium based on the amount you may have to pay out if something happens to it".

Now, other than the fact that I believe all insurance companies are slime, I don't see why that shouldn't clearly spell out everyone's expectations, and insure (ha ha) a smooth transaction in the event of an accident.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have State Farm, the trailer is covered when my truck is hooked to it. I have another policy that covers it for anything else when I am not hooked to it and that only runs 113.00 per year.
Most insurance carriers use your vehicle insurance to cover during transportation, with you using another company to cover your trailer during both you are going to pay more.
As far as NADA or Edmonds or any of those value books they are designed for dealers and in their favor, not for true value. At one time you had to be a dealer to even get a NADA guide. Frankly I think those guides should be outlawed, not considered, until such time as that these guides start showing true value of something.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We used to have Hartford, but when our toad's braking system locked up at 60 mph, the resulting damage totaled the vehicle, and Hartford refused to pay replacement, then the next year's premiums almost quadrupled...the cost of a lawsuit would have been more than the vehicle's worth. We have gone with GMAC, but they told us what the replacement value would be on the 345($127K), then wrote a policy for $20K...when I confronted them with this, they said "someone" had misquoted...
BOHICA...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #45
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I have Progressive now. I'm paying for Comprehensive and Collision at: "The Lesser of Actual Cash Value at time of loss less Deductible or $32,000." But I still must get an appraisal as proof of value or all they pay is 'NADA Book' on a total loss. And I'm sure I'll have to get a new one every year! Think I'm screwed... I really do hate insurance!
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote