Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
If your Airstream needs to be towed?

I spotted a broken down M/H being towed on the Freeway last week and it made me worry about this scenario.
I grabbed my camera, and snapped these 2 pics...
Look at the angle of the M/H...
Look how the tag axle is compressed.
Look how close the tail is the the ground...

What concerned me was:
A/ The load being put on the Tag axle, and possible damage.
B/ The potental for the tail to hit the ground, especially on the 345 or longer.
C/ Potential damage to the front bumper/spoiler from the tow straps/chains.

Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
FLAT bed tow...period...Good Sam does this...NO exception...low tow off the highway... the replacement for the front cowling will cost BIG bucks if it gets fractured...ask Andy...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
flat Bed tow ONLY

correct.

and double, triple maintenance so one does not need a tow.

good picture, good thread.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
On my first 400 mile journy after purchasing, had to be towed. Tow truck lifted up underneath the front suspension, removed drive shaft and towed about 30 miles to a shop. The operator was careful and we had no damage. Granted, the experience was more than troubling to watch, but all turned out OK! With an inexperienced operator, who knows what could happen.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
my only concern about Airstream moho being on a flatbed would be since moho is already 10ft 1/2 tall, being on a flatbed would make it that much taller. Wouldn't the rig be in danger of hitting some of the lower bridges on an interstate? I really like the post by raveson having the drive shaft removed and towed.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I did search the forum before posting, and did find references to flatbed towing, but my mind was set to get more info.
Thanks John, and yes, its a good topic and one that we can all learn from.

My first concern was when I saw how compressed the tag axle was, and I bet overloaded...
I read somewhere that even the airbags being underinflated can damage/bend the tag assembly, and Andy has posted that whole axles are now made of Unobtainium...
I have not seen how the front end is attached to that tow truck, and the traffic did not allow me to look, but the idea of chains being attached to the front chassis, with the delicate ABS spoiler made me wince.

I had AAA Rv coverage last year, but are we saying that Good Sam only ever uses flatbeds?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
We have been towed twice.
1. Non-good Sam coverage sent the lowest bidder with a small truck. Driver bent the driving light mount, cracked the driving light lens, knocked the carrier bearing out when he reconnected the driveshaft leaving the vehicle inoperable.
2. Good Sam sent a big tow truck to get us out of traffic. Master cylinder had malfunctioned causing brakes to lock up, so driver did not want to pull us any distance and sent a flatbed.
Ours is a 310, so no tag axle. I would not have had a problem with being towed on the hook by the second driver as he was a pro and he had the right stuff. I think that the difference is Good Sam vs. generic coverage.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
What concerned me was:
A/ The load being put on the Tag axle, and possible damage.
B/ The potental for the tail to hit the ground, especially on the 345 or longer.
C/ Potential damage to the front bumper/spoiler from the tow straps/chains.

Thoughts?
Key- I'd say those are smart concerns.

My thoughts are to add the fact that these parts are NLA or near impossible to find let alone being 'on the road' having to look for replacements says flat bed is only way for our 345's.

If I remember correctly ScrapIrony-2 already has experience on this while in AZ one time.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Actually, I was about 4 miles away from home when the rig decided to die in the water in a 2 lane highway...about 4:00 pm...yeah, it was about 20 degrees F...the AZ experience was a right front wheel bearing that took 10 days to replace in Kingman, and we had to find it and have it shipped from Minnesota...THANK YOU Barthmobile...!!!gotta love whatever forums are out there for us...m
Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
A good friend of mine owns a towing company and tows nothing on the hook over 31' or when it has too much of a overhang, not worth the damage.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
towing the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I did search the forum before posting, and did find references to flatbed towing, but my mind was set to get more info.
Thanks John, and yes, its a good topic and one that we can all learn from.

My first concern was when I saw how compressed the tag axle was, and I bet overloaded...
I read somewhere that even the airbags being underinflated can damage/bend the tag assembly, and Andy has posted that whole axles are now made of Unobtainium...
I have not seen how the front end is attached to that tow truck, and the traffic did not allow me to look, but the idea of chains being attached to the front chassis, with the delicate ABS spoiler made me wince.

I had AAA Rv coverage last year, but are we saying that Good Sam only
ever uses flatbeds?
Nope, you have to impress on them that flatbed is the only way to haul an Airstream moho...most GS folks will know this, but it doesn't hurt to make the impression...it's your rig...m
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Good to know...
My AAA Rv package was about $35 a year, what is the deal with Good Sam?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I think the GS package is about $90, but it is well worth it...any time you have the unit hauled, you have paid for it, and at $1200 for a flat tow...well, figure the finances...AAA charges towing fees for a length after so many miles, and a flat tow will probably cost you more...I'm not trying to sell you on a particular service, but I did stay in my Airstream last night...and I slept well...m
Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
my only concern about Airstream moho being on a flatbed would be since moho is already 10ft 1/2 tall, being on a flatbed would make it that much taller. Wouldn't the rig be in danger of hitting some of the lower bridges on an interstate? I really like the post by raveson having the drive shaft removed and towed.
Most clearances are about 15 feet or more, and there are bypasses for the short ones...any intelligent tow operator will know...it's the dumb ones you have to watch out for...I think GS has a good reputation...I have trusted them, and will continue to do so...m
Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
It saddens me to admit this, but my Silver Bullet has had the honor of being on a tow truck three time:
1-Some years back. Battery cable shorted to ground. Regular wrecker w/power forks just like they use on cars. Tower me to a garage in Texas.
2-July, 2011. Blown Transmission. BIG HUGE 10-wheeler 90,000# wrecker. Forks under the front frame. The lift was bigger than the space under the front of the motor home. I can show you where the hitch and skid bars on the back of Silver dug into the road on the way home.
3- Last Friday. Failed fuel pumps (yes both of them!). Little brother to the big huge one.
Both 2 and 3 backed Silver through the 10 foot door of my barn. As some as I get the new injector pump (had to order on internet) she'll be rolling again. All that weight on the tag did bother me. I put about $1000 into rebuilding the tag axle back in '07 and I don't want to do that again!
May not get a renewal from AAA after this years towing s

If anyone would like in entertain Mr. Murphy, I sure would like to see him leave my house before the roof caves in!
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Mr Murphy will entertain you as long as you allow him...just don't give him the privilege...scrap the bugger...drive along, and ignore him...m
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
I think that should I ever have to be towed I will remove the tag wheels when waiting for the tow truck. Very concerned now!

We usually only drive locally, but sometime soon we want to cross from east coast to west. Looks like another shake down trip to work and back tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
My little 280 doesn't have a tag and I personally have never seen the suspension set up on a 345 but it seems that somewhere on this site I saw an Airstream advertising video that showed the flexibility of the rear suspension by driving up over a curb. If that is the case, it shouldn't be a problem during a tow. Again I don't know the suspension I just remembered the video.
Also just my 2 cents but I have had AAA since I was a kid. When I got married my in-laws years were added to my card which shows me being a member since I was 4 years old. After 50 years the Plus service is free. I have had cars towed, my ex Greyhound bus towed and the Hagarstream towed. Everything depends on the drivers skills. If you don't like what he is doing, stop him and call the office again. Don't let him damage your coach. And don't be afraid to argue.
Years ago i broke down on a hill in the middle of a curve. I walked back to try to warn oncoming traffic. A cop finally showed up but he stopped at the car not where I was. As he set out flares I walked up to him and he said he called a tow. I ask if it was AAA as I was a member, he ignored the question. Not wanting to get in a hassle with a cop I accepted the tow which cost me $75. Monday I was in the AAA office to inquire my rights in the situation. After some time and several phone calls to the legal staff no one had an answer. Best not argue with the cop and pay the tab. The good news, AAA refunded my $75. I wasn't happy with the actions of the cop but AAA paid for the tow and that is why I carry the card.
Also my father-in-law had the Airstream towed shortly before we got it. The driver turned too sharp parking it and crunched the front bumper and banana wrap. The tow outfit made an offer to the father-in-law which was way too low. I talked to the AAA and after a bit of persuasion they talked to the tow co. and wound up doubling the offer. Again don't accept something you are not happy with, stand your ground.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I will repeat myself...FLAT TOW...only...m
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
When I had my tax axle rebuilt (which was before the 3 wrecker trips) I ask, "What would cause this to failure?" The shop guy, "Probable backing into a curb." When I got home, I removed the stop blocks I had on the floor of my barn that kept me from hitting the back wall when I back Silver Bullet in her cave.
I throw Mr. Murphy in the trash can, put the lid on it. If the ground wasn't so brick hard I'd burn him! As it is, trash pickup will have him
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote