Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I smell burning wires!

For the past 3 weeks, I've had the Airstream hooked up to 15amp plug in garage, waiting for the time to get a new breaker switch and garage wired up for 30amp plug.

Got all of this done today, everything wired correctly. As soon as moho was plugged in, all sorts of 'humming' and as soon as I stepped inside, the electrical panel below kitchen area was smelling like burning wire insulation.

Turned of moho breaker switches and unplugged from new 30amp outlet.

Removed all of the breaker switches in moho, figuring after 23 years, it was time for a replacement on all of them.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I've done incorrectly? PO had the moho hooked up to 30amp all the time with no problems like this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Check to make sure the electician did not wire up a 220v circuit instead of 110v. Your breaker for this circuit should be a single, not double.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Ditto with Alan. It is very common for a good but unknowing electrician to wire a RV outlet to 220v. The plug on the end of the power cord looks like a 220 plug. Before you know it you've got toast.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You say "everything wired correctly." Does that mean you put a multimeter on the 30A plug and verified that it's 120v single-phase grounded on the appropriate leg? Or just that whoever did the work is licensed and it looks right?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I had all kinds of smoke and fire one time when I wire into a 202V plug one phase plug that was wired 3 phase 270V. It JUST burnt the prong of the plug. Always check the breaker box before scabbing in for electric. One of the drawbacks to mission work in far away places.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi,
Everyone is correct. Wired for 220 double pole, not 30 amp single pole. Electrician coming back tomorrow. Hoping (fingers crossed) that I was able to get inside moho before I fried the entire electrical system. Thanks everyone for you advice.
Derek
Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
After he has the circuit wired correctly, *IF* you gave the proper instructions, ask the electrician about his liability coverage. If you told him 30A 120v rv, the damage is his responsibility.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
After he has the circuit wired correctly, *IF* you gave the proper instructions, ask the electrician about his liability coverage. If you told him 30A 120v rv, the damage is his responsibility.
It's my fault. Wasn't thinking when I said I needed a 30amp outlet for RV. I never specified that it needed to be 120v.
Live and learn, I guess.
Thanks, Derek
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Even if you didn't tell him what the voltage is. Any electrician worth his/her salt would check the requirements prior to just wiring something. I hope he has good liability insurance. I don't know where the Univolt is on your trailer, if it was connected to 220, that's what you smell burning and humming loud. The transformer in the Univolt is rated for 120 volts. I doubt that the wiring to the outlets (120 volt) was damaged since most of it has insulation rated at a higher voltage rating than 220. If your unit has air conditioning and it was off, chances are it's OK.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
He has a moho, so it could be more complicated. If the microwave is the old dumb style with a manual knob it's probably fine, but if it's digitally controlled the brain could be fried. There are various other moho-specific things like the transfer switch for the generator to check a s well, and maybe some I have no idea about. Ask someone with lots off moho experience before deciding you've checked everything.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Switch for A/C's (both) were off. Gotta figure out where Univolt is located on my '89 motorhome. Sure I'll have stuff to replace. Microwave was turned off, at the main panel where you choose between front A/C and rear A/C.
If Univolt is fried, I can replace it, if Microwave is fried, I can replace it. If A/C's are fried, I wanna go with the 1500 BTU units anyhow.
I'm not really concerned about stuff. Try not to let the little things bother me. After surviving cancer last year, and Radiation this year, every day that I look down at the dirt, instead of up at it, I figure is gonna be a good day!
Thanks everyone for your help with this.
Derek
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Don't let the electrician off that easy!

If the trailer was there he knew what you were plugging up. If the new outlet fits your original male plug on your trailer's power cord, the electrician should have known, without you telling him. (unless you specifically told him incorrectly 220v, he should make sure)

That female portion of the plug the electrician installed might have printing right on it. Take a close look. All connections on that plug are color coded. The load wire screw connection is brass colored, the neutral screw is silver colored, and the ground is green. And, it may have those three wire locations noted right on the plug at each screw connection for which wire goes where.

If you got a high quality female plug that came in a box or bag, it should have a wiring diagram that came with it, a leaflet or printed on the package. The electrician should have looked at that too.

Edit:
I did not see your prior post, before mine. Your outlook is admirable!

What I am saying is the device itself (the female plug) is designed for a 110-120v circuit, not 220v. The way it is constructed is what should have tipped the electrician off.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Even if you didn't tell him what the voltage is. Any electrician worth his/her salt would check the requirements prior to just wiring something.
99.9% of the time, someone wanting a 30amp service wants it for a hot tub or maybe for a welder... I'd be expecting someone to tell me "Hey, I need a 110V setup because it's for my RV".

Glad you've got a positive outlook on things - makes everyone's day a lot brighter.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What a great way to look at life. I'm one of the lucky ones not having to deal with health issues. My philosophy is that "Everyday above room temperature is a good day"
But; the little things drive me crazy. I need to adopt your philosophy.
Thanks for the wakeup call.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Glad you've got a positive outlook on things - makes everyone's day a lot brighter.[/QUOTE]

Actually, my job as a City Letter Carrier here in St Pete, FL (we walk, door to door, none of this throwing our arm out a window), my customers love it when they see me coming. I always have a 'good morning' to greet them with, and 'have a great day' to leave them with.
Guess I can credit my great parents with this simple philosophy. I've gotten my lifelong dream sitting in my driveway (Airstream) right now, nothing can get me down.....
Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Get rid of the Univolt as quickly as you can, they are crap. Get a good three stage converter so you don't fry your batteries from over charging them.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Thanks crazeevw for the reality check....Sometimes I forget to stop and smell the aluminum.
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
My dad used to replace batteries quite often and not realizing that the Univolt was destroying them...he left the MH plugged in 24/7.

Also look into a good EMS electrical management system (surge protector). My dad also used to replace appliance circuit boards more then he should have...it's due to bad power. I recently installed a good EMS and a new shore/generator switch. Up on the mountain here the power fluctuates constantly and goes out at times as well. The EMS I got protects against such things as plugging I to a 220v supply.

Another word of caution is to check all wiring connects such as at the shore/Gen switch and the 110v supply at the electric water heater. I can't believe that I didn't have a fire with the old stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2826464340.png
Views:	121
Size:	871.4 KB
ID:	140847   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1365092147.png
Views:	118
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	140848  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2174574222.png
Views:	111
Size:	912.1 KB
ID:	140849  
Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Get rid of the Univolt as quickly as you can, they are crap. Get a good three stage converter so you don't fry your batteries from over charging them.
Excellent Advice, I have really enjoyed the new Iota I installed earlier this year. No hum at all !
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Gotta figure out where Univolt is located on my '89 motorhome.
In my '89 MH, the power converter was located below the bank of drawers in the galley. I had to replace mine a while back to. Mine just gave out due to using it 24/7. If you look in the photos of this link, you'll see in the bottom photo where the converter is located. Mine was a EnerGenius, not a Univolt. I just mounted the new unit inside the old housing. That way I could use the old power distribution center.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote