Old 10-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #15
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
i traveled to Michigan and back, chicago and back, and all the way from Atalanta to California and back at 55. safe and fine trips. i did have words with some truckers being unsafe on the way though...

Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Peter, I sympathize with you on this. We drive a '99 30' Land Yacht MH. This past summer we did 7,000 miles over 70 days, and since we had a schedule (don't like doing that) we were pretty limited to Interstates from Seattle - San Diego - Sedona - Nashville - Lincoln NE - Salt Lake City - Portland - Seattle. My sweet speed was 50-55 MPH running at the high 20 RPM; sweet because of dzriving comfort plus fuel economy. The right hand lane was our home, seldom passing anyone. Actually the professional truck drivers, while they would swish by, were good. Flashing them to move back right usually resulted with their flashing "Thanks". Issues, if any, were cars, especially entering the freeways, either not getting up to speed, or at the last minute simply cutting in - - no idea that it takes time and space to brake. Yet, on the whole, being slow was never an issue.

comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I drive 60-65 on the interstates and stay to the right . I find that when I come into a city I will usually take the middle or second lane to avoid the "mergers" and it usually works well. My Tundra can do the speed no problem but a truck and trailer is a lot of vehicle if things start going wrong. We drove up I-15 in May doing 65 and everyone passed me... that is a fast highway!! The one nice thing is you can use your cruise control and don't kick it off that much.
It amazed me the speed people were pulling trailers at. I saw one trailer with 2 blowouts (I-15) at the side of the road and was amazed there wasn't more, trailer tires are made to do 80+mph. !!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #18
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
correction....trailer tires AREN,T made to do 80+ !!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
texas has speed limits???!!😂I always see patrolmen , but apparently nobody else does!
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Jefferson , Colorado
Yep, 60 mph was good for us on our 5,200 mile Road Trip 2016. No one finger waves!
grjanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Many interstates have posted MINIMUM speeds. As long as you stay above the minimum, you have right of way. Typically the minimum is 40 or 45.

When you are driving lawfully, safely, and courteously, it's none of your business what other drivers think of your driving. Stay in the right lane, and let them pass.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Yep secondary highways, state roads are my preferred routes. But here in the open deserts of the southwest. Interstates are some times the only choice.
Doing night runs seem to thin out the traffic some. And ease the temps.
Even tho the trucks are going fast they mostly seem to be well driven.

Still not a comfortable mix, driving so slow in a stream of faster moving traffic.
I feel it better staying in the comfort range of the vehicle I'm driving, and stay to the right and let the faster drivers sort it out for themselves.

Did I mention how much different a trip can be had on the state roads?
I just grin and bear it when having to venture onto the interstates.
Having overdrive does help.
Cheers Richard.
X2. Whenever possible we search out the state roads or US RT. Its just a slower less stressful pace for us. I think we get a better look at the countryside also. We havent been on a trip yet that we were in a hurry to get "wherever" so that helps I guess. Overall, I really dont think its significantly slower than taking the interstates. It saved our tail in Kansas when we had the "ball joint incident". It would have been a COMPLETELY different experience if that would have happened out on the interstate or even an interstate rest area.

Beautiful time of year to be out traveling right now! Hope to head out again in the next week or two. Happy trails fellas!

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #23
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I hear your anxiety Peter, as our 310 TD is comfortable at 55, okay at 60, but that's about it.

If I have to use Interstates or 400 series highways (60mph limit but everyone does 70+) I try and choose my times of travel that don't coincide with everyone else's need to get somewhere fast; so I'm on the hwy between 9am-4pm and 7pm-12am.

I have been know to use my 4 way flashers if I notice fast traffic coming fast in the slow lane, but for the most part I haven't been given the international sign of respect (you're number 1) yet.

I have always wondered what I would say to a cop that pulled me over for going so slow; not so much a problem on the 400's as the minimum is 90 KPH or 55 mph but on a 80 mph hwy in Texas, it could be a concern. I'm hoping the mere fact that it is a vintage Airstream would help.

As Mike stated, the secondary hwy's are a more relaxing means of getting somewhere.

I wish I had an overdrive......have underdrive but no overdrive.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
When I tow my trailer I prefer 60-65 fro most drives. It feels steady and safe and no problem with braking.
I was driving our 280 Moho on I 95 towing a Saturn. Came around a long pretty blind curve and there was a long line of tractor trailers stopped dead.
The van on my left saw it and thankfully he was smart enough to slow down so we could swerve into his lane. Man, it was close. But I had no other option.
If I was going 70, I would probably not be here to tell this.
So I got in the habit of 60 or a bit more, even when we moved into the trailer towing.
It has been comfortable for me.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm
I'm talking with a company who's trucks are governed at 63-mph. And I tow my trailer at 59-mph. Neither concerns me.

What is of concern is largest mirrors and LED tail lamps.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
My towing sweet spot on Interstates is 62 mph and in 5 years of towing I have had only two 18 wheelers come upon me at a speed I considered excessive. I observe road courtesy with big rig drivers and in 95 percent of encounters it is returned. I also use my 4 ways when going down steep grades when my speed drops below 55 and on climbs if it drops below 50

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #27
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
..... I try and choose my times of travel that don't coincide with everyone else's need to get somewhere fast; so I'm on the hwy between 9am-4pm and 7pm-12am.
Cheers
Tony
Well, Tony, I herewith officially have to cancel my standing invitation for you to come and visit the great State of Texas and my humble domain.
We left Austin at 3 am and the traffic was horrific, drove all day to Hotsprings, AR in horrific traffic and on the way back from Arkansas we left at 11am and the traffic was horrific all the way to Austin at 11pm. There is NO slow time anymore, that is what freaks me out. We counted over 100 18-wheelers parked in and around one of the few rest stops.
Austin/San Antonio is in a massive growth period and the commerce traffic reflects it. Now they are trying to play catch up with infra structure improvements, which makes a terrible situation even worse.
You have to have a very dependable vehicle to play with the big boys.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #28
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
No worries mate, when I get to the Texas border I'm putting the 310 on a low-boy trailer to tow me around the state. I'm still going to sit in the drivers seat and possibly have one of the most relaxing "drives" ever. Think of all the diesel I'll save.

I must admit I would be very leery of travelling in a heavily commerced state such as Texas, between the rest of the US and Mexico with 80 mph speed limits. With that amount of traffic, it can't be good.

You might want to come to my neck of the woods, as the standing invite is very much still in effect.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote