Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
How much work compared to a trailer?

I've noticed some nice looking motor homes in the classifieds that have what seems to be low miles (about 50k), but appear to have had a variety of repairs completed (e.g, radiators, air bags, etc). Are such repairs considered typical maintenance? Are there typically mechanical issues that pop up? Was just wondering how the maintenance and cost of repairs of one of these classic motor homes compares to that of an older trailer?

Old 08-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Having owned and used motorhomes prior to getting our AS, we consider the trailer to require far less maintenance. This is precisely because of things like you mentioned. The absence of things like an engine, transmission, drive trains and all the associated costs make the trailer far easier and less expensive to operate and maintain. With a MH there are effectively two vehicles to maintain.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
For me consider a trailer and TV as a comparison to a motorhome to get a fairer view point - how many folks have their TV as their daily driver, if you do, then you come out ahead.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hebron , Illinois
If your never going to tow the trailer yes trailer is less money. You have to pull or push all this fun with something. I think the MO is more Scary because it has a engine but it also has the cool factor that a trailer does not have. My MO needs some work just to make the next 3 miles. It needs maintenance. Brakes fuel lines oil changes gas tank repair done hoses Tires and some more. You can't get around maintenance if you want to go down the road.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The upside of all that pain in the butt maintenance a moho needs, is when it's pouring out, pulling into your site, being able to go to head, cook and go to bed without getting wet.

Trailers are cheaper but way more numerous. How many 310 turbo diesels have you come across lately.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Think of owning the MH as being kind of like owning a trailer with a tow vehicle that is about 30 years old. Not as safe as new stuff, more expensive to maintain, less reliable, but once you have a handle on its condition and know what to expect from it, you will like it.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
The motorhome definitely has some benefits, but it's too bad they require mechanical work at such low miles. I do like the idea of more storage and the all in one factor, but having mechanical issues at only 50k is definitely a drawback.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
The upside of all that pain in the butt maintenance a moho needs, is when it's pouring out, pulling into your site, being able to go to head, cook and go to bed without getting wet.

Trailers are cheaper but way more numerous. How many 310 turbo diesels have you come across lately.

Cheers
Tony
Got to agree. The "self-contained" aspect of a motorhome is what makes it so different from a trailer. You pull over, close the shades, and go to bed in total privacy and security. Wake up, and you're off.

Going down the road, there's a whole social scene taking place within the coach. The radio is playing, someones getting lunch together, there's room to stretch, and the train keeps rolling! Everything that you can't do in a trailer until you stop.

Enjoy the panoramic view from a level above the surrounding traffic through the wrap around windshield. Slide open those funky front windows. Feel the wind just flowing past without creating any turbulence inside. Even in a downpour, barely a drop comes in. Skip the wipers all together, and dig the aerodynamics of that streamlined shape as the raindrops simply disappear.

To me, the motorhome provides an added dimension to the over the road travel experience that simply can't be matched in a tow vehicle.

I'm not suggesting that it's simpler, cheaper, or hassle free. It's just a really cool, unique experience.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I think you nailed it Streamquest!
Airstream trailers are cool.
Airstream Motorhomes have that plus rarity factor times 10 or even 100.
Sure, maintenance will be a factor. Things go wrong, and wear out. It's like owning a classic car and an older home rolled into one. I don't think there are many of us here who don't do our own fixing!
My limited experience of driving mine so far has proven interesting.
Driving down the road you get vehicles following you, thumbs ups, phones are out snapping pics, and big smiles. Stop or pull into a campsite and its your doorbell that is ringing(if it works!)... Not the $1m rig in the next slot.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #10
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Elevation 8570 feet, no pull-over for the next 4 miles.......
After you climb a few 10k passes with you Classic Motorhome, you will have an opinion, guaranteed!! The downhill part is the real fun!!
If you want to have a somewhat "worry-free" vacation with your kids and your dogs, get a late model TV and a trailer with 16" Rims, Michelin Tires LT and a Tire Monitoring system.
Then why did I go back to a Classic Moho from pulling a trailer with a new Tow vehicle?
Streamquest said it best, its just a whole different experience!
Full timing in old Classic Motorhome- No, I would never consider that
If you are an extreme Airstreamer, get a classic Motorhome for the joy of tinkering and local fun and a small trailer for the long distance travels.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, a motorhome will definitely be more work especially if it is older and has lots of miles on it. The real question is, do you want a motorhome or a trailer? A motorhome without a toad is much easier to park, but not so easy for shopping and tourist town parking. Also, a motorhome will sit a lot if you are still a working person. We chose a trailer over a motorhome for this reason; As the trailer sits, we can still use our tow vehicle. Now if you buy a huge trailer, you will need a huge truck to tow it with and it won't be fun driving a huge truck in town either.

With a motorhome, most people tow a tiny car. With out trailer, when un-hooked, we drive a nice sized vehicle. We started out looking at motorhomes and switched to buying a trailer. It's all up to you.

My brother has a motorhome and one day while sitting in our trailer, he asked me how bad is the rattling noise in your trailer? I told him, I'm in the Lincoln and don't hear a thing.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Apples and Oranges. Comparing a vintage trailer with a vintage motorhome are completely different. Remember, no matter which you choose, you still have an engine, transmission and tires for both to maintain.

I'll say this, if you don't have ANY mechanical knowledge and choose to drive a Vintage Airstream motorhome, woe be to you. I'm currently trying to get a hold on electrical and wiring in order to get better acquainted with my motorhome.

Otherwise, I'm ok with my 26 year old motorhome going down the road. Best part about driving something of this age, everything is simple, no electronics to go wrong. I have a good general mechanical knowledge in order to repair most any problem going down the road. In the meantime, I'm replacing every hose on engine cooling system, as well as hydroboost and power steering system. I'm lucky enough that prior owner had a complete brake overhaul down on each and every wheel. I do have new tires, but before I head off for retirement in 5 years, fully plan to replace them, as they will be too close to 7 years of age.

Like any project, I'm happy to have the Airstream that I have. It's a dream I've had since being a kid and finally able to fulfill.

Thanks, Derek
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, a motorhome will definitely be more work especially if it is older and has lots of miles on it. The real question is, do you want a motorhome or a trailer? A motorhome without a toad is much easier to park, but not so easy for shopping and tourist town parking. Also, a motorhome will sit a lot if you are still a working person. We chose a trailer over a motorhome for this reason; As the trailer sits, we can still use our tow vehicle. Now if you buy a huge trailer, you will need a huge truck to tow it with and it won't be fun driving a huge truck in town either.

With a motorhome, most people tow a tiny car. With out trailer, when un-hooked, we drive a nice sized vehicle. We started out looking at motorhomes and switched to buying a trailer. It's all up to you.

My brother has a motorhome and one day while sitting in our trailer, he asked me how bad is the rattling noise in your trailer? I told him, I'm in the Lincoln and don't hear a thing.

I would never argue that the quiet, comfort, air-conditioning, audio system, and bottomless torque and horsepower of my 2011 F350 Diesel Crew-Cab tow vehicle can be matched by the amenities of my Classic. I've hauled a vintage 37 foot Spartan from California to Massachusetts in three days without even the thought of a mechanical failure, and reached some silly speeds in the process.

By the same token, I've never rolled over one of those big 70 mph highway bridge whoop-de-doos in my motorhome and wondered if the front and back halves of the operation are still attached to each other (regardless of how much the plates are rattling)

For the certainty of getting there, I'd go with the truck. For the pure fun and adventure of the journey, the Classic would be the easy choice.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:54 AM   #14
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post

For the certainty of getting there, I'd go with the truck. For the pure fun and adventure of the journey, the Classic would be the easy choice.