Old 08-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
There's a reason these $150,000+ motor homes sell for a dime on the dollar not even taking the value of a 20 to 30 year old dollar into consideration. For those of us capable of doing the maintenance it offers the opportunity to own one. It's not for everyone! If you can separate the wheat form the chaff and invest some swear equity, you can create a real gem that you can enjoy and be proud of.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
KY Airstream,

We don't want to rain on your parade as there have been many good points for a MH. We bought a 10 yr old diesel pusher when I (James) retired in 2010 and it had 56k on to it. It was our first MH but 4th RV. We didn't have any issues with the RV parts but the mechanical side nickel/dime issues seemed to cost $1k every time we started it up. The point about the protection from the rain is very true unless your underneath the rig trying to figure out what is wrong with it (always happens in the rain, LOL), plus its hard to find a small-town garage that can/will work on large a MH and you will "pay" for if you find one to. We sold our rig 2 years after we bought it for 1/2 of what we paid for it just to see it go down the road without us. We waited 2 years before looking at RVing again because of our MH experience. We don't think it was the manufacturer's QC as much as MHs sit around a whole lot and that does no good for the drivetrain. However, you might want to look into a warranty program if you still want an MH. Maybe look into a conversion van (had one, great w/kids!) or even a Class B rig (We thought about that ourselves). Can't wait to get our first AS TT and tow it with our F-250!! Just our thoughts and good luck with your decision... Regards,
James and Rebecca

Old 08-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
If you can separate the wheat form the chaff and invest some swear equity, you can create a real gem that you can enjoy and be proud of.
First thought was the "Swear Equity" was a auto correction error... but if it was not... that was hilariously correct too!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
How much work compared to a trailer?

Damn you autocorrect!

Almost as funny as this one.

man received the following text from his neighbor:
“I am so sorry Charlie. I've been riddled with guilt and I have to confess. I have been tapping your wife, day and night when you're not around. In fact, more than you. I'm not getting any at home, but that's no excuse. I can no longer live with the guilt and I hope you will accept my sincerest apology with my promise that it won't happen again.”
The man, anguished and betrayed, immediately went into his bedroom, grabbed his gun, and without a word, shot his wife and killed her.
A few moments later, a second text came in: “Damn autocorrect. I meant ‘WiFi’ not ‘wife’.”
Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #19

1986 32.5' Airstream 325
Tucson , Arizona
I have owned a brand new trailer (non Airstream), I've owned a Class C, and now I own a Class A Classic Airstream Motorhome. While the motorhome does have it's issues. Imagine any 30 year old car and 30 year old trailer.

Heck, even my brand new trailer was in for warranty work within 2 days of picking it up! My Class C, which was used from a major rental company and even warrantied, had just as many problems with it after the first trip or two as the Airstream Class A does.

Most people say when you want a trailer you pick your trailer first then your tow vehicle...well, with me my vehicle isn't ever going to change, I have an FJ Cruiser and I love it. The down side to this is it has limited towing power, so a motorhome it is, and what better motorhome could I have than a Classic Airstream. It's still amazing, even 29 years after it first touched pavement!

Thrown a lot of $ into the mechanical, and a lot of sweat and blood into the coach side of things (RV stuff) but, is it worth it to own such a creature, yes. Any RV, being trailer or MH will need work, and this one needs its TLC just like the rest.

BTW, this is the post that I bought it from... 1986 Airstream 325 Classic Motorhome (E) | Photos | ViewRvs.com some of the info in that is clearly incorrect.

To give you an idea of work needed to be done...

Coach
-New water pump
-Lots of cabinet repair
-Fix stupid mistakes and addons previous owners have done
-Replace step (someone changed out the original auto one for a manual one step POS....replaced with nice electrical unit)

Chassis
-Replace radiator hoses to MotorAid (burst)
-Run new electrical to rear airbag compressor and adjust valves (someone ripped out wiring)
-Replace seals on rear axle
-Replace brake pads
-Flush transmission and radiator
-Replace front suspension (original airbags were destroyed, and shocks were blown)

Optional things I've done
-Replace kitchen faucet
-Replace shower faucet
-Replace converter with modern
-Replace stereo with modern
-Replace speakers (pending)
-Replace lighting with LED (pending)

As you can see, its a mix of both vehicle and trailer work...now I can tow my FJ behind it, have the comfort of an Airstream, and go wherever I want!
Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
ROFL!

Its like a friend of ours... true story... got her 80yo mother a cell and taught her to text.. a few weeks later she gets this text from her Mother..

"Debbie, I want to get together for lunch, and you are always too busy! W.T.F?

Debbie calls her mother immediately and asks why she wrote that and if she understood what it meant...

"Of Course I know what it means!" Mom responds...

What does it mean asks Debbie...

Wednesday, Thursday or Friday? says Mom...
Old 08-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
How much work compared to a trailer?

Too funny! Back on topic.

I have a truck that would pull a trailer. It hauls construction materials and junk. Its reliable, noisy, and drives like a truck. I would never think of taking it on vacation. If I hat a truck that I would take on vacation, I wouldn't be dumping loads of construction debris in it with a end loader. So I don't need another vehicle sitting around. The motorhome works well for me. We put the bikes on the back and the only thing I've towed is a boat. Might look for an electric motorcycle that will hang on the back.

You can get a nice little efficient daily driver and use it as a toad. Maybe even electric. Build a charging station into the Moho electrical.

I've owned airplanes, boats, and other secondhand toys. Stuff I couldn't afford or justify buying new. I've always had good experiences. I treat preventative maintenance as it do on aircraft that I work on. Haven't been let down yet but know that there is always the probability that something will let me down. We gotten over 20,000 miles of trouble free RVing out of the 360 and I trust it to go anywhere. We are in Michigan with it right now and will be heading back to Colorado in about a week. The things that have failed on the road are, TV antenna, furnace controller, mud dobbers in the hot water heater, and a leak in the potable water system.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Swear equity, man if that doesn't sum it all up in one expression.

To OP

The past couple of posts are prime examples of the humour we moho guys have compared to the stickler, straight laced by the book trailer types........

It helps with the therapy and slows down the facial ticks.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #23
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

The past couple of posts are prime examples of the humour we moho guys have compared to the stickler, straight laced by the book trailer types........

It helps with the therapy and slows down the facial ticks.

Cheers
Tony
Tony, you could not have said it any better...There is something about Moho folks that makes it all worth it. Never seen any of the personal attacks, you frequently see on the trailer side. But it may have to do with not wanting to burn any bridges when and not if your next breakdown happens
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Not to offend but, I dont think you'll ever see a thread on the Classic Motorhome forum with 100 posts debating which is the "cutest coffee maker". different priorities I suppose. Threads like that, and there are many, DO crack me up though. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, lord knows I love my coffee, usually with a smidge of 90w gear oil.

Mike
Keep smilin
Old 08-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with them, lord knows I love my coffee, usually with a smidge of 90w gear oil.

Mike
Keep smilin

Man! That would get the mail moving!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Mo Ho Drivers, Travel Trailer "types" and Fiver owners ... So many "classes" of RVers... Just like the "classes of society, I guess RVing is a reflection of society... Mo Ho Drivers are no more special than a disabled combat vet or are they? Hmmm...

"Easy-6" out...
Old 08-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
When we had our Interstate it was my daily driver. Worked just fine and gave me a quiet place for lunch. Wish I still had it.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider06 View Post
Mo Ho Drivers, Travel Trailer "types" and Fiver owners ... So many "classes" of RVers... Just like the "classes of society, I guess RVing is a reflection of society... Mo Ho Drivers are no more special than a disabled combat vet or are they? Hmmm...

"Easy-6" out...

As a Motorhome owner, and a previous trailer owner, I personally have no view on "Class", its just a personal preference.
As discussed, they both have their advantages and disadvantages and we love them both!
Having rubbed shoulders and shared beers with Millionaire rig owners and retiree's who could not afford to live any other way, its been refreshing how Airstreams are viewed on the road. Everyone I have meet thinks they are "Cool", and everyone wants one... but they have their issues, and I am open and honest about them in conversation.
In fact, it a great leveler... I have seen people sell everything and downsize to a trailer or motorhome and get back to what is important... Living.

Also kinda baffled by your comment about "Disabled Combat Vet's", easy-6...