Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
How is your Classic Organized, inside and out?

We spent some time looking at the inside and outside of our 345 and trying to figure out what we need, and where to put it!

Rather than try to "reinvent the wheel", we would like to get some feedback from other Classic owners on what you carry, and how you have it set up?
This is fairly specific for the Classic Motorhome, 310's, 325's and 345's, as they are similar with the kitchen layout and iinside/outside storage. Trailers and later Motorhome will be pretty different, and so not as representative.
This would also help us identify and make a list of anything we will need on the road, when stopped, or for eating.

My basic plan is like this:
Outside storage.
Curbside Small front Storage: Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, and Belts.
Curbside Front Drawer: Small Habachi BBQ, Tools, Charcoal, Lighter fuel, Firewood.
Curbside Rear Storage: Cooler, Teenagers Tent, Sleeping bags, folding chairs, Table, outside rug.
Streetside Front Door to under sofa storage: Fishing poles, and tackle.
Streetside Drawer: Mechanical spares, jumper cables, tow strap, Coolant, Gas can.
Streetside rear door to underbed area: Latex Gloves, extension Cords.

We began to struggle with the Kitchen....
Where/how do you store Saucepans, plates, Cups, and glasses, so they dont rattle or fall out?
What food items do you keep in the Motorhome?

Help!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi Key,
With me JUST getting Airstream yesterday, I'm almost in same situation as you, but I have camped before, both in pop-up tent campers and in a ULTRA small travel trailer. We found out that food items, cans and the like are better off low in the RV. They are heavier, and will slide around and tend to knock open upper cabinet doors lots easier. Most of upper storage in travel trailer was for towels, sheets and folded clothes. In the kitchen, we kept in upper storage the paper plates, cups and the like. We did keep a couple of hard dinner plates for when we wanted NOT to eat on paper. Pots and pans were kept where ever they would fit, but mostly, lower to the floor, as well because of the weight factor. Guess what I'm saying, keep your heavier stuff closer to the ground. I probably will keep extra sleeping bags in the upper storage areas was well, because they really aren't that heavy, but bulky.
Just out in the Airstream, new mattress pad, new sheets, and have the Roomba Robot vacuum cleaner running while I wash the throw rugs. Still pinching myself. Promise to post pics after supper. Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Thanks Crazee,
We were trying to figure out where to put China Plates and Glasses.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
can you post pictures of your kitchen maybe that would help on ideas. You have lots more exterior storage than my 83 300 .I keep all glass and china in cabinet above ref with a non slip shelf liner. no breakage so far. pots and baking sheets under sink. pots will rub and leave black spots so I use cheap washcloths or paper tower sheets between surfaces. Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Hi Steve, honestly, I wouldn't even consider china and glasses. Plastic, Plastic, Plastic. Plastic plates, plastic cups, and plastic forks, spoons and knives. Well, maybe good ol' metal for the cutlery. Anything breakable, WILL with all the movement of the Airstream, you're more than likely going to end up with broken china and glasses. If you have a way to store china and glasses so that they are wrapped with bubble wrap, just fine. But, plastic is usually lighter to haul as well. Just my thoughts......Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
use your hand towels, wash towels and hot pads to cushion pots and pans
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Thanks Crazee,
We were trying to figure out where to put China Plates and Glasses.
We have a travel trailer but I like my china and real glasses, so I place the china in the drawers and separate them with the non-skid material. For the glasses, I use the plastic cooler/lunchboxes from Walmart and put the wine glasses in them. For special ocassions, I do have the long stem wine glasses and for those I use the round cardboard boxes that you can use when giving a bottle of wine as a gift. I know, I carry a lot! As my husband says, I can be ready to throw a party any time! But jut because we are camping, it doesn't mean we can do it in class!
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote