Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
How do you remove a MH toilet?

Whenever it gets flushed, water leaks out from behind the toilet. It's a tight fit back there and I can't see where it's coming from. Seems to flow from higher up around the back of the rim rather than at the bottom where the fittings are.
If I can get that toilet out or just loose, I could get back there. But I don't see any bolts or screws holding it down. I tried to pry the seat off but it started to crack a little so I stopped. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
removal

Every rv toilet i've fooled with bolts to a flange much the same as in your house. I have found that some are easier to find the bolts then others. If you cannot see the bolts, look for some kind of retaining ring that will allow you to lift the bowl off the part that attaches to the tank ring and bolts. You might be able to get more info by checking web sites from the manufacturer as to how they construct similar models. All will unbolt some way!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up MH Toilet

Two nuts hold the toilet down on the flange. One can be seen from the front where the operating pedal is located. As I recall, the nut is 1/2". The nut in the rear can be accessed from above through removing the plastic access plug to the left of center. To see the nut, you will need a flashlight, and to loosen and remove it you need a 1/2" deep socket with u-joint and a 12" extension. I can be removed from behind with a 1/2" wrench and arms that bend like plastic man. Once both nuts are removed, lift straight up about 3" to clear the flange bolts. Be sure the water is off before you start, then you can access the connection to the toilet and disconnect it to remove the toilet from your unit. Be sure and get the model number off your toilet so you can get the new base and valve for replacement. You will need a good quality # 2 Phillips screwdriver to remove the base from the potty. You will also need a spring type hose clamp plier to remove the clamps unless they have been replaced by worm-gear clamps by PO. Not an impossible job, but I tackled it with rubber gloves on for the obvious reason.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
OK, thanks guys. That is what I was hoping for...a way to remove the bowl. I never looked under the flush pedals. I'll start there. I was messing around with the access plug that was mentioned and it fell into the access plug hole! I think it will be easy enough to get out of there.
When you say "water off", is there a valve to turn it off to the toilet? I'll look under the sink. One may be there.
Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
pump off, city water off -- water off.

mike
Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The valve to turn off the water should be in-line behind and to the right of the toilet...next to the floor...
BEFORE you pull the toilet, see if the leak might be originating from the flow valve which directs the water into the top of the toilet...should be behind the toilet towards the top, in the middle...you can feel it, if you can't see it...relatively cheap part, but hard to get to...BUT, it can be done.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
That's exactly where the leak is coming from. As I flush the toilet, with my hand in the back of it, I feel water coming from the rear but above the floor, close to the top. I'll try some accessing today and see how far I get. Thanks.