Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
How do I run the Generator, but Isolate the 454?

Almost ready to start work on the Chevy motor.
On the list is Carb, Intake, fuel lines, smog pump and a lot of other stuff.
As I will have to replace all of the flexible fuel lines, I will need to drain and drop the main gas tank.
For safety I want to remove any 12V power from the engine, as you should.
Yet I want to run the Generator to supply 120v for tools, lighting and AC!

Now, on my 345 the Coach Battery supplies 12v to the 454 but also the Generator.
My plan was to feed the Generator from a 5 gallon gas can, as it has its own electric fuel pump.

If I can find the solenoid that supplies power to the 454, and disconnect it, will that do it without issues?

Just wanted to ask for advice, and to double check that it will work, and be safe.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Key sends power to relay for fuel on mine, with yours having a fuel pump with visible wires I would disconnect positive and run a 12 v positive from the start battery thru a switch close to where you plan on filling cans, you can then empty the tank only when you have cans ready to fill. Switch will have a spark so make sure it isn't too close to can being filled. While you have the tank down and empty make sure it is clean, PO must of had a problem to add 3 extra filters, but new filter is standard practice for professional mechanics when they don't know what caused the motor to act up. My previous owner changed filter every major trip at about $100 a pop for filter and labor, yours probably paid more as they had to cut and fit in filters each time, especially when they couldn't find one where they expected one to be.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
The gen on mine gets its power from the starter on the 454. I would disconnect it at the 454 (disconnect it (454) from the batt) and connect it (gen) to the batt with the tray open. I think that is the simplest way to do it you may need a bolt to connect the lug to the batt.
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote

« Cooled Seats | Top | Fire! »