Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Hmm... Freshwater Hookup.

Hey, I feel pretty dumb asking this, but took the rv out camping for the first time after recently purchasing about 2 months ago, i realized i didnt know where my freshwater hookup was.. found the electric and cable no problem in the rear side box, and closer to the rear of the coach i saw a water hose sticking down, however when i bought the rv this had a plug in it and when i unscrewed this and checked back on a warmer day my freshwater tank showed drained on my gauge. I bought it in florida and drove it home to va, and when i first arrived home my freshwater tank had froze i guess... only about 1/4 tank so no harm done. So i assumed is was the drain for that..... but i guess i could be wrong?? The person i bought the coach from knew less than me when i arrived, i actually showed him how a few things worked... he never actually used the rv, and said the owners he bought it from had alzhimers... so between my 2 travel trailers ive had and this forum thats about all i know.
swinginping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Depends

What year and model Airstream?

Paula
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
1989 345LE .. sorry
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't own a MOHO and don't know where your fresh water connection is.

However - you have two ways of getting fresh water.

One is through the fresh water connection via a fresh water hose.

The other is by filling you fresh water tank and using the on-board pump to pressurize the system.

The fresh water level guage only reads the water tank level, and has no real use if you are connected to the pressurized water hose.
Dave

On edit:
It sounds like you need to do some winterizing. If your water tank froze, so did the water lines, and they are prone to breaking when frozen. There is a lot of info on winterizing if you do a search.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
In the rear left side you should have a swing down door and inside there should be a electrical cord reel and a hose reel. When you pull the hose out and connect it to a faucet the water pressure automatically bypasses the water tank.

You should have guages for the gray water tank, black water tank, lp tank, and the fresh water tank. Hooking the hose to a hydrant will not fill the fresh water tank. You can only fill that through the receptacle on the left rear cornor.

I keep a plug in my hose end to keep insects and dirt out of the fresh water system

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Hey... ive had campers for awhile now and know how the water systems work... however there is no reel for a water hose, just electric. I saw the 2 screw holes where i suppose this reel shouldve been... but didnt see a hole for a hose to come through so i assumed it mustve been for a spare electric reel.... so i guess i need to get up underneat and do a little more searching
Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Sorry Ping...didn't mean to demean you.
There are a surprising number of newby folks who don't know that information. Just covering all the bases.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
no big deal, i appreciate the response. I checked my lines and hot water tank, all were empty someone just left a little water in the fresh tank... and when it comes to moho's ill admit i am pretty much a newby, but slowly learning.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
water connection

On my 89 345, the water hose is attached to a takeup reel in the same compartment as the electric hook. Don't know if the hose connections on the outside were standard, but there are two for flushing the grey and black tanks when draining. When the shore water is attached, (if you can find it) there should be a switch button on your panel over the stove that will allow you to fill the tank by operating a solinoid for auto fill. There is also a fill opening on the outside of the coach. I would guess if the reel mechinism is missing, there should be a place to attach a hose. The manuals I have from airstream show all the above. Keep looking and check the manuals if you can get a hold of one.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
There is a good possibility that a previous owner failed to winterize and connections to the water hose reel split. Rather than fix them they might have taken the reel out and mated a female hose coupling at the back of that same compartment. On the other hand, they might have just capped it off and deleted the hose reel. That still doesn't explain where another city water connection might be. My Excella 500 31' had the hose reel and a city water connection by the rear bumper so surely something has been rigged up.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have an '89 345 LE, and do not have a hose(fresh water) reel, either. We DO have an outside fill for fresh water, in the left rear side, below the window...it has a locking flap door(bottom-hinged) and looks a lot like the black water flush hook-up...same level, but under the bathroom window...we also have a 'city water' access port, again on the left rear side, which the male end of the hose screws into(sorry), and while it is supposed to work in conjunction with the AUTOFILL switch on the control panel over the stove hood(doesn't work), the hook-up will allow us to use city water pressure through our system without turning on the pump...the city water hook-up is capped by a male plug which must be removed before...well, you get the picture?...I think the hose reel was an option, but the coaches were manufactured for it, in case you wanted it, so the hose holes were pre-assembly manufacture...most folks wanted the reel.
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Realize that this thread is over 3 years old, but wondering if Swinginping ever actually figured out his water hose situation. I did discover for our year 345, that the water hose reel was standard on the 345, optional on the 290 and 325. There have been several discussions this year about replacing the water hose reel, as well as removing them and refurbishing them. Check out practically anything that Keyair has done with his '84 345. Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote