Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Thumbs up Hi all

In a glorious moment of insanity I just bought a 1983 310 turbo diesel with 73,000 miles on it.
The exterior has a few dents and scuffs and needs refinishing. I talked to PS trailers today........must save.
The interior is in great shape.
The only thing not working is the motor A/C which brings me to my questions.

1) A previous owner stated the tranny was rebuilt at an Allison dealer. Do I have an Allison tranny with the Isuzu diesel or is it just a reprogrammed GM unit? How do I tell?

2) Is the A/C on the Isuzu a GM spec A/C unit or Denso?

3) I have an engine service manual that states the motor is an Isuzu 6BD1T but have read on this site that it's a 6BD1A with an aftermarket diesel. If so, are the oil filters, belts and other parts the same for both?

4) Could anyone recommend a good diesel mechanic that is familiar with Isuzu motors in South Western Ontario Canada...... I don't want to have a "Mike L"moment

5) What would you replace on a 30 year old MH/diesel?

Thanks for being patient with the newby questions.

Fantastic site by the way.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
You have a basically new engine, belts and hoses should be replaced, look for a Isuzu dealer or we can help here on the forum. I had my transmission "hot-rodded" with Allison parts, so yours might be the same (no paperwork?). That was a 6BD1A ( check the plate on the valve cover). Glad you got one of the rare ones!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
In a glorious moment of insanity I just bought a 1983 310 turbo diesel with 73,000 miles on it.
The exterior has a few dents and scuffs and needs refinishing. I talked to PS trailers today........must save.
The interior is in great shape.
The only thing not working is the motor A/C which brings me to my questions.

1) A previous owner stated the tranny was rebuilt at an Allison dealer. Do I have an Allison tranny with the Isuzu diesel or is it just a reprogrammed GM unit? How do I tell?

2) Is the A/C on the Isuzu a GM spec A/C unit or Denso?

3) I have an engine service manual that states the motor is an Isuzu 6BD1T but have read on this site that it's a 6BD1A with an aftermarket diesel. If so, are the oil filters, belts and other parts the same for both?

4) Could anyone recommend a good diesel mechanic that is familiar with Isuzu motors in South Western Ontario Canada...... I don't want to have a "Mike L"moment

5) What would you replace on a 30 year old MH/diesel?

Thanks for being patient with the newby questions.

Fantastic site by the way.
Welcome to the Airstream/Isuzu world. To answer some of your questions most of the Isuzus came with a GM Turbo Hydro 400 or 475 but there is one guy on the forum that had one with an Allison. This site will help you identify a TH400. Chevrolet Chevy Transmission Identification and Decoding

The A/C should be an A-6 GM compressor. They are readily available and are easily converted to 134A. There are also many outfits that will supply brackets to mount a Denso type compressor.

The original Isuzus were normally aspirated with an after market BAC turbo installed. If original you will have a BAC boost gauge and pyrometer in the upper right of you dash. The filters and belts should be the same.
Primary fuel is Racor 2012, secondary fuel is NAPA 3260, oil is Wix 51282. The belts are Isuzu part no. 1136711430 or Gates 1420, A/c belt is Gates 7460.

The only thing you need to do to the old diesel is drive it. To ease your mind I would recommend doing an oil analysis every 10,000 miles or so to keep an eye on things. If you cooling system is in good shape you should not have any overheating problems. There is a nasty grease fitting on the top of the water pump. You have to take the dog house cover off and stand on your head to find it. The only other thing is to keep an eye on the pyrometer when climbing hills. Keep it under 1200 degrees.

By the way this is an industrial/marine engine, not an auto or truck engine. They are basically the same but they use different part numbers and the dealers, truck vs. industrial don't talk to each other. Craig at Hamilton Engine in Portland Oregon is very knowledgeable about these old
engines. (503) 280-1353 For a local mechanic look for an commercial marine shop however any decent diesel mechanic can take care of it as it's a pretty basic engine.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Google "Tom's Truck" in L.A., they have been helpfull, as has Hamilton. I agree, the water pump , the upper fuel filter and the turbo are the hardest to service.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Well CONGRATS!

You may notice there are some Diesel experts in the house!

We want some pictures!!!!!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Yep, if you dont post pics, we dont actually believe you have the stated item...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
Yep, if you dont post pics, we dont actually believe you have the stated item...
Even that will not convince SOME people here....
They say if they have not seen it, its does not exist...
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
LOL, Wow they must be rare as people are all ready doubting me. We also checked out a 345 with a 454 for the same price but it was nowhere near as good a shape as the 310, 50,000 more kms and practically everything had issues. I know I made the best choice.

This is a link to Freds archives for the coach I bought. It was imported into Canada by Airstream forum member kenjoe in Chatham. It has 73,000 miles on it now. They had to sell due to healths issues unfortunately.

Fred's Airstream Archives @ ViewRVs.com - 1983 Airstream Classic 310 Turbo Diesel Motorhome 31' Motorhome (K)

I should have reread my post as I meant to say aftermarket turbo, not aftermarket diesel.

I popped the cover inside and looked at the valve cover label but it was hard to read due to lack of glasses and crud.

Thanks for the info and once I get the coach (I'm calling it a coach as it seems fitting as it's not a regular MH) I will post pics of me holding that days newspaper while standing on my head with a grease gun trying to get it on the waterpump fitting. LOL

I'm am totally stoked and can't wait to get into her.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to the MH world

Looks like a very nice MH....what about it is not a regular motor home? We have a 1982 24' Chevy gas 454 motor home....but it is not a regular one either because Airstream didn't make 24' motorhomes in 1982......

Enjoy and hope to see you down the road.....you can see ours on Fred's site under 1982.....scroll down to the bottom.....and that is what it looked like when we bought it....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Please forgive me I meant different metaphorically.

My Grandfather owned a coach business in England called "King of the Road". It catered to to a discerning clientel. His coaches were very easily distingquished from a run of the mill bus, even though they both performed, in a sense, the very same task.

An Airstream is IMHO a motorhome that evokes a lot of emotions in people to whom you wouldn't consider the "MH" crowd; for example. On my test drive we pulled into a corner store parking lot where four black leather clad Harley bikers were putting on their helmets. As we pulled in, their heads snapped around as if on the same string and followed the coach until we stopped. One biker approached and questioned us about the sale and price. His final words were "way way cool". Needless to say having attracted the attention of four bikers was a little unnerving for a moment, LOL.

My wife has been very distant about purchasing a MH until now. Her excitement about this coach has been shocking. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of newer MH's that I could have bought for the same money.

It has soul.

PS Mine is also a 1982....at least the chassis is. Hope to see you on the road.

Yours has the rear bath....very cool. I wonder how many 310 turbo diesels were made.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You are right, they are very special!

Everyone wants to know what year the MH is and wants to see inside. I almost walked away from the purchase, knowing what needed to be done (or at least thinking I knew) to make her road worthy.....but I was captivated by the roominess inside......and the silver outside. My license plate is 82 Ste P...which is the year, Suite, and P for Pea or Paula however I am feeling that day.

The rear bath is cool and the rest of the coach is all open space......I am hoping we can get her put back together soon....

Take care, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

It has soul.......

We caught another one ....Welcome to the Ward

c : a division in a hospital; especially : a large room in a hospital where a number of patients often requiring similar treatment are accommodated
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Aluminitus

Is that what it is? Aluminitus? p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Think Eagles song..

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of buffed aluminum, rising up through the air
Up ahead on that Ebay, I saw a shimmering skin
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to jump on a flight..

There it stood in the distance;
I heard its door bell sell,
And I was thinking to myself,"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then I cranked up her Big Block, and she showed me the way
There were voices down the back bedroom,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the RV Classic Airstream...
Such a lovely space (Such a lovely space)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room in the RV Classic Airstream
Any time of year (Any time of year)You can drive it here

Her skin rivets and sheeted, she got the Aircraft smell
She got a lot of pretty boxy Rigs, she calls friends..
How it shimmers in the moonlight, sweet polishing sweat.
Some buff to remember, some buff to forget..

So I called up the Cyclo, "Please bring me my shine"
She said, "We haven't had that Buffer here since nineteen sixty nine"

And still those trailers are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the RV Classic Airstream..
Such a lovely space (Such a lovely space) Such a lovely face
They livin' it up in the RV Classic Airstream
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)..Bring your aluminize

Polished up the ceiling,
The pink flamingos on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"

And in Rivet masters's chambers,They gathered for the feast
They Bucked it with their rivet guns, But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was fixing up the floor.
I had to find the passage back To the place I was before

"Relax, " said the floor pan, "We are programmed to receive.
It can leak in any time it likes,
But it can never leave! "
Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #15
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Think Eagles song..
And I was thinking to myself,"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
..."

LOL, Keyair, you outdid yourself with this one.

(This one has it really bad. Beware, he has the TH400 Strain of Aluminitus mixed with cyclo fever...Compliments keeps them calm )
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
LOL, Keyair, you outdid yourself with this one.

(This one has it really bad. Beware, he has the TH400 Strain of Aluminitus mixed with cyclo fever...Compliments keeps them calm )
Yes, the Airstream force is strong in that one (Keyair).LOL It had both of us chuckling.

This has got my wife thinking we have joined the people that wear tinfoil hats looking for alien reception. No I replied sadly......they couldn't afford to join. I quoted the member that replied to a post "The purchase price is only the down payment".