Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Portland , Oregon
How about sway bars? I know of a place in town, IPD, that specializes in sway bars. I want the handling to be as tight as possible. You never know when someone is gonna pull something crazy on the road....

Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDan
How about sway bars? I know of a place in town, IPD, that specializes in sway bars. I want the handling to be as tight as possible. You never know when someone is gonna pull something crazy on the road....
I have a huge sway bar on the rear, you should too. I also have an IPD sway bar on the front. I would think they would come stock with a sway bar up front, so don't know why mine have an IPD. My dad probably upgraded it. I'm 40 miles up the mountain on a windy road. Last September we went over to the other side of the valley to Lassen for a week. I felt like I was driving all over the road. We came back and I installed SteerSafe on the front end. In November we drove down to Yosemite and back. I think it really improved the steering and handling. It was worth the money for me. At a minimum, replace the existing sway bar bushings.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
It's also very common to replace the bell cranks with SuperSteer bell cranks. Check out hendersonslineup.com in Grants Pass. I have the SuperSteer bell cranks on mine. There web site has a lot of good info on steering issues and solutions. I would like to learn more about a track bar for the rear end. Henderson's is probably the number one shop for suspension and steering. They have aftermarket springs for the front end as well. My MH has been worked on there.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Portland , Oregon
Nice! Thanks for the info. Grants pass is unfortunately a 6 hour drive or so. I'll definitely check em out though.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Portland , Oregon
I gave Hendersons Line Up a call today. Very friendly, they sent a list of the best upgrades possible for the chassis and steering. Ch ch ch ch chekit out!

P3032 bellcranks 275.00 each (2) Takes the play out of the steering, less wander
SS3032-8D and SS3032-8P bell crank arms $293.00 each (1 of each) Takes play out, much heavier duty.
SuperSteer coil springs SS250 to SS268 you must weigh the front axle to know which set you need. $350.00 (1 pair)Restores ride height, eliminates air bags on front, better ride.
Road master front anti sway bar and rear urethane bushing kit #1109-116 $547.00. Better stability, less sway.
Safety Plus Steering control 31-140 cylinder $405.00 bracket kit P30kb13 $57.00. Positive return to center, helps in wind and rutted roads.
Koni Front FSD shocks 8805-1006 $172.00 each (2) Much better ride and handling
Koni Rear FSD shocks 8805-1007 $172.00 each (2) Much better ride and handling.
SuperSteer rear trac bar SS300 (rear disc brakes) SS301 (rear drum brakes) $530.00 (1)
Upper Control arm shaft kits K6135 $110.00 each (2)

I totalled it up, and its about $4400 in parts. Not sure what to factor in for labor. I'm gearing up to do the first round of modifications and repairs. I figured starting at the chassis was the right way to go. I'll also sort out the battery issue and get a dedicated cranking battery installed at the least. I was also considering having any surface rust removed or por15'd while they were under there and have everything apart. Ideas?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #34
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDan View Post
I gave Hendersons Line Up a call today. Very friendly, they sent a list of the best upgrades possible for the chassis and steering. Ch ch ch ch chekit out!

P3032 bellcranks 275.00 each (2) Takes the play out of the steering, less wander
SS3032-8D and SS3032-8P bell crank arms $293.00 each (1 of each) Takes play out, much heavier duty.
SuperSteer coil springs SS250 to SS268 you must weigh the front axle to know which set you need. $350.00 (1 pair)Restores ride height, eliminates air bags on front, better ride.
Road master front anti sway bar and rear urethane bushing kit #1109-116 $547.00. Better stability, less sway.
Safety Plus Steering control 31-140 cylinder $405.00 bracket kit P30kb13 $57.00. Positive return to center, helps in wind and rutted roads.
Koni Front FSD shocks 8805-1006 $172.00 each (2) Much better ride and handling
Koni Rear FSD shocks 8805-1007 $172.00 each (2) Much better ride and handling.
SuperSteer rear trac bar SS300 (rear disc brakes) SS301 (rear drum brakes) $530.00 (1)
Upper Control arm shaft kits K6135 $110.00 each (2)

I totalled it up, and its about $4400 in parts. Not sure what to factor in for labor. I'm gearing up to do the first round of modifications and repairs. I figured starting at the chassis was the right way to go. I'll also sort out the battery issue and get a dedicated cranking battery installed at the least. I was also considering having any surface rust removed or por15'd while they were under there and have everything apart. Ideas?
Good for the economy, I guess. How do you know you need all that stuff?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Portland , Oregon
I don't know if I need all of it at this point, but my friend gave me the instructions of the best of everything for the core components of the Moho. It definitely needs an alignement at the very least, some help in the steering, and new springs up front.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #36
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDan View Post
I don't know if I need all of it at this point, but my friend gave me the instructions of the best of everything for the core components of the Moho. It definitely needs an alignement at the very least, some help in the steering, and new springs up front.
Do the front springs (a shop that works on Fire Dept rigs would be my vote), have the shocks replaced and have it aligned. Peterbuilt outlets have a great system for alignment. What is it doing? Wandering, vibrating?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
With extra weight of the Diesel, the springs will need to be rated correctly as stated before, so smart move.
Check under you rig as you might find that the supersteers are there already... a lot of us have found this!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
My front air bags would no longer hold air and last summer I was going to have the "new" springs put in and do away with the air bags. I was going to have a shop do the work and the cost would be around $900 if I remember correctly. I decided to replace the air bags instead. For under $100 for the air bags and doing my own labor, the savings paid for my new a/c I installed last summer. The new working air bags made the difference between night and day. With no air in the old bags, I was all over the road going down the mountain here and the front end bottomed out on any little bump. It was like diving a new coach with the new bags.

I think the price for those Koni shocks are way overpriced for a shock. I installed new Bilstein's and I think they are one of the best shocks out there.

I would only replace parts that are worn/needed. A reputable shop like Henderson's will tell you what is needed after an inspection. Make sure you use a shop that is well experienced with the P30 Motorhome chassis and not just any type of truck chassis. The alignment specs for the P30 Motorhome are different then the standard P30. Most shops do not know/understand this. I have multiple alignment shop receipts in the Dad's paperwork and each show different alignment specs.

Did Henderson's say whether or not the rear trac bar will work on the Airstream P30 chassis with the rear air bags? I'm not sure if it will fit.