Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sacramento , California
Exclamation Help...Batteries or what?

I winterized my 345 almost according to instruction manual. When batteries were reinstalled, the main one (and others likely) were drained. Took to town, had recharged and tested good. Reinstalled. MH will still not even begin to turn over.

Any suggestions? Charging the other two house batteries and using that switch in the glove compartment? Getting someone out here? Is this a battery problem or maybe something else?

All suggestions appreciated.
silverdream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Did you clean the terminals on the battery and cables. It it a Diesel or gas engine? Is there any noise at all?
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith View Post
Did you clean the terminals on the battery and cables. It it a Diesel or gas engine? Is there any noise at all?
Yep...charge the batteries fully (got a charger?), Clean all the cables, including starter cable and grounds, a strong click,click sound may indicate a good charge but faulty starter, Could go on but better to start with the obvious.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith View Post
What he said.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Just finished a 1,300 mile trip (we took the long way) from San Antonio to Knoxville. When we were getting ready to go at our son's in San Antonio, had problems like this. Our son found the problem. The cable terminals at the batteries were good, but following the positive chassis battery cable to its other end in the back of the battery box found that the terminal had broken from too many drawer open/close cycles, and it was alternately making contact, not making contact, or shorting everything out. New terminal, and all is good.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Just finished a 1,300 mile trip (we took the long way) from San Antonio to Knoxville. When we were getting ready to go at our son's in San Antonio, had problems like this. Our son found the problem. The cable terminals at the batteries were good, but following the positive chassis battery cable to its other end in the back of the battery box found that the terminal had broken from too many drawer open/close cycles, and it was alternately making contact, not making contact, or shorting everything out. New terminal, and all is good.

New is Good...

Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I'm having similar problems with my engine battery. Have to keep in on a trickle charger all the time when Motorhome is sitting.
Was told by mechanic friend of mine, disconnect either cable, set up a test-light (attached to battery, other end to cable) If light is 'lit', go pull fuses one at a time until light goes out. At that point, you've at least isolated the problem.
Still there may be something more than what I've just described. Cables for battery drawer going in and out could be a problem as well.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Didnt you have a non starting issue before?
Did you press the boost battery button?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Didnt you have a non starting issue before?
Did you press the boost battery button?
"Boost Battery Button"? I can't seem to find this magical switch. Location? I've looked in glovebox, but never found it.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Geez, I was not aware that the electrics on the Airstream motorhomes were made by Lucas (the Prince of Darkness, if you must know). Just more proof that there's a strong affinity between Airstream and MG. Or maybe just between Airstream owners and MG owners.

Come to think of it, maybe it is Lucas wiring. In that case, be sure to check to make sure that the wires are properly filled with smoke.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
I'm having similar problems with my engine battery. Have to keep in on a trickle charger all the time when Motorhome is sitting. ...Thanks, Derek
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help... batteries or what?

Greetings Lynn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Geez, I was not aware that the electrics on the Airstream motorhomes were made by Lucas (the Prince of Darkness, if you must know). Just more proof that there's a strong affinity between Airstream and MG. Or maybe just between Airstream owners and MG owners.

Come to think of it, maybe it is Lucas wiring. In that case, be sure to check to make sure that the wires are properly filled with smoke.

Lynn
GM has also had a relationship with Lucas. My dealer told me that it was Lucas that designed the electronic controls for the transfer case in my 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban . . . . that electronic control has a 12,000 to 15,000 life expectancy and the part costs around $750. I have owned the truck since it was new (in fact, I special ordered the truck), so I have been through the routine something like 14 times now. The last time it failed, the transfer case was also deemed unrepairable so my plan is to have the truck converted to 2-wheel drive -- should have had the conversion done years ago rather than at 200,000 miles.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question Ign....

Quote:

Lynn

Primary exposure to LUCAS IGN>

58 MGA
65 ROYAL ENFIELD 750
Neither of which had the Ign part quite figured out.

Sometimes made for memorable adventures.

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:

Lynn
::::Spews coffee over the keypad::::
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Voltage regulator.
Battery cables from terminal to solenoid will sometimes wear holes from drawer sliding in/out.
Cut-off switch on wall just inside door...this one is a hard-to-find puppy if it needs replacement.
Ignition(key) switch.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
"A gentleman does not motor after dark".
-Joseph Lucas

The British drink warm beer because they've got Lucas refrigerators.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
This might not apply but a commonly overlooked problem, especially on vehicles that sit a lot, is a dirty battery. Dust, salt, ect... can cause conduction paths that will drain a battery over time. Especially in humid climates.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Get a cheap amp meter and put one lead on the battery then on the frame. If you get a reading. Clean the top of your battery. It has a draw
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charger