Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Hello - hunting for MOHO!

I've been reseraching this forum for a while now, and I thought I'd say Hi.

I'm looking to buy a Classic Airstream MH, and I'm just trying to figure out how, which one, etc. This site has been a huge help. I can't imagine doing this kind of reasearch before the internet.

I think I like the 250 with the rear queen/double the best. There is a 1982 280 right here in town in the classifieds that is real nice, but it has twin beds. My wife wants a rear bed for us (married 8mos.) I like the 290's as well, but anything bigger is too big for me.

I've been looking at RVtrader.com, rvonline.com, ebay, this site, Fred's Archives, airstream.com, craigslist, and Google. Is there any other way to find what I'm looking for? If you happen to know of someone thinking of selling a great MH, send them my way.

I'm sure I'll be a regular here once I land something, until then...

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin
Portland, OR
outofcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I think the 280 is the perfect size and spent a year searching for the right one. I would have loved to have found a twin bed configuration but found one with a double and a desk instead. We've been married 36 years and I guess it does not matter that much anymore. I have grown attached to the desk and will not take it out plus we also like the larger closets it gives us. The nice thing about these coaches is that you are able to change things around. We took out the double bed and made it a single. We also took out the fold out sofa bed in front a replaced that with a single bed and removable pillows for driving. I sleep in front or back and my wife sleeps in the other bed, depends on who goes to bed first. Our grandson who is often with us will take the back bedroom when he is with us. There are people here on the forum who have constructed full size beds in the place of the twins in trailers, we have more headroom in the MH so that would be easier to do. I am posting a link for you, just be careful he does not find out you are looking at an Airstream for sale he may buy it out from underneath you, he seems to be cornering the market on used Airstreams. He converted a twin to a full in a 25' trailer.
Good luck to you and happy hunting. The right coach is waiting for you.
http://www.balrgn.com/
Old 04-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Kevin,
Welcome. The best advice I can give you for your search is to make a short list of what you want out of your motorhome. Then get into as many floorplans as possible and see what works for your camping needs.

For example, will it always be just the two of you? How many do you need to sleep regularly, occasionally. Will you use it mostly on the weekends or will you "live aboard" for months or years at a time?

regarding the bedroom, as funny as it sounds a rear bedroom queen layout makes it pretty hard for the person sleeping in the back to get up and over the other person for a midnight potty break (or snack ). On the other hand, rear bedroom coaches generally have huge wrap around windows which really open up the back and make sleeping (or napping) a true camping experience.

Chaplain Kent is very right about the appeal many of us find in changing things around a little. That's part of the fun of ownership. However, it's not very practical to change a rear bath unit into a mid bath unit or move the fridge from curbside to streetside, etc if you change your mind later on. But a rear queen unit can be changed to doubles later on without breaking the bank.

My point is that choosing the right overall floorplan is based on what you plan to do with your coach. We began looking at 280's and ended up wth a HUGE 345. Like you I had no interest in the larger coaches, but now after owning it for four years I can't imagin getting by with anything smaller. (We're weekenders with three young children, along with the occasional friend and two dogs).

Good luck in your search and keep us posted or ask questions along the way if you need advice.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Hey! I don't have that many ...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Ditto on the welcome aboard. Size is about use. I find that at 28' My rig can be parked in any single parking space where an overhang can be accomodated. Matter of fact I'm overhanging a grassy area right now in a Wal-Mart in Winston-Salem, NC right now. I can wiggle into and out of almost any spot, always watching my corners and overhead clearance.
Keep a close eye on all the places you mentioned. Sooner or later you'll find what you're looking for.
Go look at any MoHo unit for sale that is convenient for you to look at. You'll get used to what is "usual" and what is not. If you don't regularly get your hands into the grease and grim make sure you find someone to check out your prospetive unit before making a commitment.
I tell folks, "you have to kiss a lot of frogs."
You will learn a lot here and by looking at all the different units that will come up for sale soon. Be ready! If you need more cash than what you have on hand make your arrangements now. The rig you fall in love with may be gone if you have to wait for your money.
Enjoy the hunt!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Good stuff, thanks.

I race motorcycles, and right now I have a V6 Tacoma that pulls a 6x12 Wells Cargo stuffed with tools, tires, and 3 bikes. I throw a twin futon in the canopy, bring some camping gear, and I'm good for a weekend of racing.

Now that I'm married, the wife (princess) is not too hip on the "futon in the back of the truck" idea. She won't even go anymore if it's a 3 day event. Plus all my fellow racers have crazy money brand new 40' D-pushers.

My first thought was to upgrade my 10yr old Taco with a new diesel, then buy an airstream trailer (I've always wanted one) and put the bikes in the back of the truck. Or buy a toy hauler and a new truck. I can't put $30k worth of bikes and tools out in the open in a truck, and I hate the looks, feel, smell, idea of a toy hauler. Plus I'd have to drive a huge diesel to work every day, sell my Tacoma, sell the Wells, etc.

Voila - keep the trailer I have, keep the truck I have, and get a A/S MoHo!
I'd spend ~$20k instead of $50k. -it just makes sense.

As for the twin beds; If we got twin beds, it would be me, the wife, and the dog in one twin, and the other would be empty. I just think the rear big beds are more cozy. I'd have to crawl over her to get out anyway with a twin.

I sure would like to think that it's just going to be the three of us (dog), but she has baby fever x5, and I'm sure it won't be long. That will just give me a reason to upgrade, or better yet, add another arrow to the quiver.

I happen to be a mortgage broker, so the financing is handled. I just have to find a good deal now.
The problem with the local unit is that it's the first one I've looked at, and even though it might be a great deal, it just didn't feel right. I don't want to ever regret that I didn't look long enough, learn enough, or just wait for that perfect unit. I think I want something that has all the original equipment. something that hasn't been "molested". Or, at least I want to be the one doing the molesting.

I'm thinking that I need to befriend someone at Marathon or some big D-pusher dealer and wait for a trade-in, or some sweetheart deal from someone I know.
Thanks for your imput, and OMG balrgn there's a lot of links on your website!

-Kevin
Old 04-08-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
I like the looks and layout of the 1990 250. There are two that I've found online, and they're both asking about $30k. NADA says about $20k. would I be a sucker to buy at about $28k? do any of you know the value of this year/model?
thanks again,
Kevin
Old 04-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Be aware when you do your inspections on an older unit. There are tons of things to consider. One persons repair may be your nightmare to recover from.
Good luck on your quest!!!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol
I like the looks and layout of the 1990 250. There are two that I've found online, and they're both asking about $30k. NADA says about $20k. would I be a sucker to buy at about $28k? do any of you know the value of this year/model?
thanks again,
Kevin
Now that AS has decided to not make the Classic again or any Class A Motor Home for that matter the value of our coaches will be going up. NADA is a guide and the price really depends on condition. Unlike buying a Chevy or Ford there are not a lot of these on the market so prices will vary. There is a list of people here on the forum willing to inspect a motor home in other parts of the country and send you pictures. Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=inspectors
Old 04-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Rear bedroom MoHo

I think you ought to get a 1989 370 like the 15 other people who bought them when they were produced ! I have one, and there are 3 others on the Forum. None of us would trade ours for anything. I love the large rear bedroom with the wrap-around windows. Some have twin beds; mine has the island queen. Love that setup, but like several have said, you have to decide what will work for you. The length of the 370 has not been a problem for me, but maybe it's because I'm used to pulling a 30' trailer with a Suburban. The MoHo actually is about 13' shorter than that, and I find it easier to park and maneuver than the trailer combo. Anyway, welcome to the best Forum and finest people I've dealt with. Someone is always willing to help. Let us know when you finally get one!

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
OUTOFCONTROL---Kevin

I bought a 1988 Classic 290 (29 ft) about two years ago with most of options and 56,000 miles on it for $18,800. I was looking for a 290 or 250 for a year and half before I found this deal----Either model is very hard to find and is usually a sellers market---patients paid in my case.

Anyway, mine is NOT for sale, but if you wanted to take an up close look at one, you would be welcome to look at mine. I live in Wasco, Or.---about 100 miles east or Portland just off of I84. Let me know!

Good luck on your hunt-----Bob
Old 04-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Found a 1981 big silver Airstream MOHO in a small Oklahoma town today. I think it's a diesel, but I can't be certain. Don't know anything about it except it's for sale. I will be back down by it in a week and would be happy to find out all I can if you are interested. There was a "For Sale" sign in the window.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol
.....I race motorcycles, and right now I have a V6 Tacoma that pulls a 6x12 Wells Cargo stuffed with tools, tires, and 3 bikes. I throw a twin futon in the canopy, bring some camping gear, and I'm good for a weekend of racing....
Ummm....

Be advised that most of the AS MoHo's are rated to pull only 2,000 lbs max.

There has been much speculation about the reason for this, but it is a limitation put in the woner's manual, and is also placarded on the interior of the units.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I'd love to know how NADA gets the values when Airstream makes 15 units a year (250's and 370's) and they rarely sell. I guess they take the original sales price and build in a depreciation schedule. Only problem is that not all RV's depreciate at the same rate. The classic MH's are holding steady, increasing in some cases, and/or declining very slowly right now. Another variable is the end of Airstream MH's all together. The 250's have been in the $30-40k range for some time.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Only problem is that not all RV's depreciate at the same rate. The classic MH's are holding steady, increasing in some cases, and/or declining very slowly right now. Another variable is the end of Airstream MH's all together.
This raises an interesting question. As some of you know I am trying to sell my much beloved MH. I wont get into those reasons here but how does one quantify the "investment" price of one of these pieces of american history. What I mean is a buyer can easily pay 15,000 for a much newer motor home from one of many manufacturers. However they will see tremendous depreciation in value. An Airstream however if cared for and maintained should hold there value because "its an airstream" At what point does an Airstream begin to either appreciate in value or at the minimum hold its price. Take a classic car like a 55 T-bird. It could have lived in a farmers field for the past 25 years and still be worth a small fortune. Why because it is a classic that is no longer being made. The frame and body in worst case condition still has a market value of ??. The same should hold true for our passion, the Airstream. So my question is. In our opinion (I say our as the members of this forum) What is the average depreciation rate of an airstream compared to a like priced Brand X Fiberglass box that has pretty colors and no character?
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have watched prices closely on the AS Classics for about 5 years or so now. Even printed out many pages of photo ads to keep. I have seen a steady rise in the prices of most models, where 5 years ago there were ads for 12- 15,000 classics in the 270, 280 line, some reaching 18 or 20,000. The 345 were always all over the range maybe due to there being more produced and available.
In the recent postings it is very hard to find a nice Classic much under mid to high teens (or low 20,000) for 24-31' models. There is always an exception, but in general so few for sale anymore it is a challenge to find a clean well preserved example. The Argosy models tend to bring somewhat lower prices, as the shinier aluminum skinned Classic always demands a premium.
It is fun to hunt for one, and then find the right one for you.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985air345
I'd love to know how NADA gets the values....guess they take the original sales price and build in a depreciation schedule....

Fred:

Your site is probably the best existing for AS MoHo research. Besides the other AS specific sales sites listed on your links page (Vintage Club, AS factory, WBCCI, here in the Forums) - another site for general (all brand) research is PPL at:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/seller/...Price%20Guides

Below I pull a quote from the above site:

"NADA Guide values for used Motorhomes are most commonally determined by taking a percentage of the original MSRP"....

Sounds like a reasonable "start" for establising a price guide for units (MoHo's AND trailers) that rarely trade and are in various stages of (dis)repair that range from junk to showroom new condition.

PPL does not deal in "junk" - they pretty much insist on everything working when the unit rolls into the consignment area. They get their commission off the top from the seller (10% in most cases). Perhaps most importantly, they share the actual sales price on the website.

While http://www.rvtrader.com and http://ww2.rvtraderonline.com/
are good general sites, I think PPL gives a bit more information.

I need to put in a disclaimer here - not affiliated with PPL - no financial interest - don't know anyone who would benefit from advertising here...

Every once in a while an AS that I would consider a pretty good deal rolls across their lot - another place to lurk while searching for the "one".

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
NADA..National Auto Dealers Association is a network of contributing dealers who on the automotive side submit the sales prices of cars sold. That's why NADA values are all "historical" and dated.
As mentioned in previous posts our market is so thin that it's hard to imagine that values, even historical, can be acurate when so few units are sold in any given month or quarter.
The market on Airstream Motorhomes is rather fickel. With gas prices on the rise it's easy to predict that prices of Classic MoHo's my stay steady even in light of the fact that AS isn't making anymore.
But just like real estate ..... it's always on the rise.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The Market Price is Variable...

Jaiman-

Unfortunately, there is no guide or website or book that can tell you what a classic Airstream should sell for or be bought for... There are too many variables, and market is not large enough (like it might be for 2004 Toyota Camry..) to define averages... For used Airstreams, there are people who want to buy, people who want to sell, and a lot of FUD and geography and confusion in between...

A mutually satisfying transaction price will depend on at least the following:
1. Year and Model (Rarity and desirability)
2. Interior floor plan and trim level
3. Interior decor and coloring
4. Exterior condition including dings and clearcoat
5. Interior condition including floors and fabrics and curtains/blinds
6. Condition of frame and structure
7. Condition of powerplant and drive train for MH
8. Condition of major systems - plumbing/propane/electrical
9. Condition of major appliances - refrigerator/water heater/furnace/AC
10. Your location (rural or major metropolitan area, snowbird or north)
11. Their location (Same items..)
12. Seller's "degree of connection" with Reality
13. Buyer's "degree of connection" with Reality
14. Buyer and Seller patience or anxiety and urgency
15. Buyer's willingness to take on project work
16. Availability of other units to compare to

I could go on, but relying on guide is poor substitute for learning the market by watching for a while, looking at every website from these classifieds to rvtraderonline to ppl to large dealer sites (Sherry, Colonial, etc etc). Hopefully by now, members understand that E-Bay can be good or bad, depending on ethics of lister and potential buyers, so be very careful about making assumptions on E-Bay pricing or descriptions. As a seller, set somewhat optimistic price, and be open to sellers who are serious buyers and can explain why your price might be worth lowering, and as a buyer, start low and be prepared to move up if the seller can make a convincing case that theirs is worth a premium.

It is still better to complete the transaction for good unit or committed buyer than either continue chasing units in need of expensive surprise repairs, or have sales fall apart or worse because the buyer isn't really knowledgable and committed. There may only be 50 classic motorhomes on the market nationally in a given year. You need to be prepared to market nationally if you're selling, and scan a national market if you're buying, and then move quickly when you get close to your dream.. Lots of folks here have stories of losing great unit while fiddling around with financing or trying to make decisions about pricing, and someone else swoops in and unit is gone..

John McGowan

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wascobob
OUTOFCONTROL---Kevin

I bought a 1988 Classic 290 (29 ft) about two years ago with most of options and 56,000 miles on it for $18,800. I was looking for a 290 or 250 for a year and half before I found this deal----Either model is very hard to find and is usually a sellers market---patients paid in my case.

Anyway, mine is NOT for sale, but if you wanted to take an up close look at one, you would be welcome to look at mine. I live in Wasco, Or.---about 100 miles east or Portland just off of I84. Let me know!

Good luck on your hunt-----Bob
Wascobob,
I was just out near Prineville this weekend (sleeping in the back of the truck). I’d love to see your coach, I’ll have to plan another ride out that way soon.
-Kevin